garmin gps/hr monitor gives different calories burned than m

Options
Hi, everyone. I just bought a Garmin forerunner 310 and it is great. It has a heart rate monitor in addition to the GPS. The calories burned are supposedly based on your profile. I have a low resting heart rate even though I am somewhat of a chunk -- lost 30 pounds since April and working towards another 30. Anyway, the calories burned totals for exercise differ greatly, sometimes as much as 100 points when you compare the MFP totals and those given by Garmin. Are the heart rate monitor estimates more accurate? Thanks, Martha

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    MFP typically over estimates, I would definately go with the HRM, I use my HRM readings exclusively
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Definitely go by the HRM! MFP only estimates calories burned and does not calculate calories burned based on YOUR weight, age, etc.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP overestimates the calories burned running, although not as bad as some gym machines. Use the heart rate monitor - it will likely be more accurate since it can tell specifics about how hard you are working.
  • bjerkins
    bjerkins Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    The reason I bought a HRM was so that I could be more accurate with calories burned. You really can't argue with a monitor that is using your own heart rate to perform the calculation.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 and since it monitors your heart rate, will always be more accurate than MFP. Remem ber, that every one will burn different calories. heart rate, age, and espically weight is the biggest factors..

Me, I trust my Forerunner than any generic numbers of mass group.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 305 and since it monitors your heart rate, will always be more accurate than MFP. Remem ber, that every one will burn different calories. heart rate, age, and espically weight is the biggest factors..

• CelticWarrior
    Options
    wow those things cost 200 bills ! thats alot of coin there.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Just so you know, the 305 DOES NOT use the heart rate to determine calories burnt, only speed, and the 305 calories burnt is somewhat way off also depending on what your doing. That was one of the improvements they did when with the 310 and that's using the HR to determine cals.
  • mlance
    mlance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Bummer! I will definitely have to work harder. I thought the MFP figures were really high even without the monitor.

Yep, the thing was a bit pricey but well worth it. I bought mine at a local Fleet Feet running store. They have a great running program and give you tons of free stuff and coupons. I ended up only paying about $100 for the thing. It has many more features than my old polar and it does give you more options to include on your profile. Check out your area for a fleet feet running store and their programs which are basically underwritten by New Balance.

Oh, I row out on Lake Champlain as much as I can and the GPS feature is handy. It is also waterproof!

Thanks again for all your good comments!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    wow those things cost 200 bills ! thats alot of coin there.

no doubt, i already spend out my butt for a gym membership, good training shoes, free of everything food...how much more money do i need to spend to lose my *kitten*?
  • suzieq1146
    suzieq1146 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 15 with a HRM - today I ran 7 miles and MFP said I burned 839 calories, whilst my Garmin said 650! I've used the Garmin calories.