Love the outdoors! What exercises to love to do outside?

Options
I am 69 year of age and married. I love to walk and run the local trails and walkways. I also ride a bike to mix things up. I have always been active in sports, road racing for many years. Currently running the Fort for Fitness races. Do upper body strengthening almost daily. I lost about 40lbs three years ago and have been maintaining since. Recently I have been trying to lose 10 more lbs. and having difficulty losing more. Can anyone help me on this. I like to work outside around the house in the yard and gardening. I would love to friend and hear from people who love exercise and the oudoors.

Replies

• nrida
    nrida Posts: 31 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So cool. Yea I am trying to maintain my weight. Those 10 lb. seem to be the hardest. But I am also trying to be more active during the Fall/winter by running more. I think motivation is the hardest for me. But I also love watching aerobic workouts when its cold. Also love pretending the playground in my neighborhood is a gym.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I turn my yard work into workouts! Shoveling snow is a great workout.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cycling. mostly road cycling, but i'm saving for a mountain bike for the spring to hopefully hit some trails.
  • sgfoster110
    sgfoster110 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have biked approximately 1,500 miles so fat this year. As the weather gets colder, I move inside on my stationary bike.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    nothing better than being outdoors... it does get to be a challenge come the winter months ... a new activity for me has been climbing the bleacher steps at the local football field...
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I hike, cycle and this winter I'm going to do some cross country skiing. I keep on hiking all winter, I use trekking poles and traction spikes on my shoes. I have a bike trainer for indoors, but I really would rather be outside. I agree that snow shoveling is a great workout!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love running, but our roads are narrow and winding and the plows do a horrible job, so I probably won't do much of that this winter. I'm thinking of investing in some snowshoes to be able to take it off-road! And, of course, skiing. Lots of alpine skiing for me!
  • sgfoster110
    Options
    I go inside for my workouts in the winter. Mainly a stationary bike and pushups.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Not this time of year but canoeing and kayaking is a great way to burn lots of calories with your upper body for a change. Trail mix and beer have been known to offset that if ome isnt mindful of packing lunch.
  • Tasha3105
    Options
    I love running, but I'm struggling to get back to my usual mileage after a few months off!
  • sgfoster110
    Options
    What distances to you run? In the past I ran 10K up to 1/2 marathon. I walk run shorter distances now in warm weather.
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hello. I prefer to get my excercise outdoors over at the gym. My excercise of choice would have to be cycling. I try to ride at least 30 miles a week with an occasional 100 mile ride each month. Next would be mountain biking or hiking followed by running. Unfortunately, the weather here has forced me indoors until spring to work mainly stationary bikes and treadmills.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like to run the track at the neighborhood park, and my friend and I meet there sometimes to do "park workouts". Anything from circuits of laps, push-ups and step-ups on benches, pull-ups on monkey bars, lunges, etc. Today we ran stairs (there is a boarded-up apartment right next to the park with an outside stairway) and did strength circuits with resistance bands and then walked the track.