Options

Replies

• rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    In addition to your list, I have switched my alarm clock to one of those Philips ones that wakes you up with chirping birds and glowing light that gradually gets brighter and brighter, to simulate sunrise. I find it really helps.

I also tan every once in a while if the weather is really dark and dreary (I live in Vancouver, so SAD is a big problem for me). I know tanning isn't healthy for my skin but it sure helps my mind.

Exercise also helps a lot.

One thing I found DOES NOT help is going on vacation. Weird. A couple of years ago I went to Maui in November, thinking it would help me to get some sun. When I got back to the dreary rainy weather, my SAD was even worse.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips. can anyone tell me the specific light they bought from amazon that was helpful. I have been meaning to buy one for years.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Tis the season when my mood always swings downward. My therapist has been on me to get a light box for years. I might try out your trick with my desktop lamp for a while.

Hadn't heard about the creatine. Thanks for that one. I'll give it a try.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    While some people look forward to fall many of us dread the changing of the seasons. It's not the cold weather that we dread, it's the seasonal depression that sets in from fall to spring. I've suffered from SAD since I was very young. Only in the last few years have I found ways to boost my mood without prescription medication. I thought I would share some of these with you and see what works for others.

1. Exercise! Lifting weights leaves me feeling good long after the session is over. It also helps with those few extra pounds I tend to gain over the holidays and regulates my appetite better.
    2. Creatine. There have been clinical trials that have shown creatine helps improve depression, especially in women. We can get creatine from food, but I just add a scoop of a creatine supplement (which are fairly cheap) to my coffee in the morning.
    3. Vitamin D. My Vitamin D levels tend to be very low, even during the summer. Taking a supplement for it takes the edge off of the depressed feelings.
    4. Light therapy. I used to use a tanning bed to get light exposure during the winter, but I've switched to a desk top lamp. A few minutes in the morning helps how I feel the rest of the day.

Anyone else have things that work for them?

Thanks for these! I take Vitamin D every day and exercise, but I didn't know about the Creatine. I'm going to do a search for some now. Ugh! I hate this time of year, even worse when we go on daylight saving's. I get to work when it is dark, and it is dark when I leave work.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I've never heard of Creatine for SAD. Isn't Creatine something taken by body builders? I don't know much about it except that my brother in law used to take it when he was trying to bulk up. Regardless, I would check with a doctor before taking any supplements.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting these! I love my light box and use Vitamin D daily, but I didn't know about the creatine. I'm also trying 5-HTP this year, but I don't know yet if that's going to do anything or not. The time change usually hits me like a freight train, so I'm hoping it won't be so bad this year.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I've never heard of Creatine for SAD. Isn't Creatine something taken by body builders? I don't know much about it except that my brother in law used to take it when he was trying to bulk up. Regardless, I would check with a doctor before taking any supplements.

Creatine is found naturally in beef and fish. It is used by bodybuilders and many regular lifters to help with workouts. If you ask a doctor they'll just encourage you to drink extra water while taking it.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Living in Minnesota, I have had SAD for awhile. It's horrible. It's like another person takes over once Fall hits, and the real you is buried inside, trying to take down the SAD version. I take vitamin D and that helped some last year. This year, I've started a multivitamin and hope to keep exercising.
  • Yabiwaz
    Yabiwaz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    B.U.M.P My dad and I suffer from this so stealing your advice ;)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My husband gets it - he has a couple of those lamps and has an alarm clock with one on too. He runs and tries to run during the day if he can to make the most of the sunshine, but he does long runs and runs with a club, so can't avoid the evening really. It makes him feel wretched. Thanks for the tip about vitamin D, I'll get him to look into it.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i live in the south, so we get alot of sun, even in winter and it's typically warm enough to be outside during the day. i have SAD also (among other things) and i MUST SLEEP. that is IMPERATIVE!! also, light!!! i have to open my blinds/drapes during the day and make sure i get outside. thank you for the tips - very helpful. also, i must go to the gym. that is crucial - working-out and exercise!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Sorry to bump an old thread but this is interesting. Ive just bought a sad light after going to see my gp. Ive been fighting depression for about 3y now but its defo worse in winter. Ive been on a high all summer and crashed about 3w ago and my gp is stumped as im maxed out on my ADs so am waiting on a letter from the consultant shrink for advice and the lamps gotta be worth a try in the interim. Im gonna try and get some cash for a wake up alarm clock with a light and will try the vit d but the creatine is interesting and will be having a read on dr google tonight about it
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of meditation and vitamin B, vitamin D, magnesium, and calcium supplements personally.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    I was on vit b and folic acid a while back fter bloods showed deficiency but IDK if it made a difference to my mood or not as was also on 2 heavy duty ADs. Managed to get off one over the summer and am reluctant to go back on it hence the doc being stumped. Ive heard the vit d mentioned several times tho and it does make sense
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I try to get fresh air everyday no matter how cold it is. Exercise is a big help too.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Defo find exercise helpful. Ive damaged my ankle ligaments atm and cant train til I see my PT tuesday and its had a big effect on me
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Light box from Amazon has helped a lot. Green Pasture Fermented Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil Blend.
  • Goldilukes
    Goldilukes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too suffer hugely with the winter blues, like another poster said i pretty much have to force myself to get up and out and live no matter what. The dark nights have had a big effect on me making me feel sleepy come 8-9pm so I'm clinging on bored indoors until a more appropriate time like 11am to go to bed. In those hours Id have been dog walking in the park but can't now. My appetite has gone through the roof for homely cooked carb laden foods and ive been forcing myself to keep juicing. No matter how much I wrap up im freezing to the bone and feel my toes go numb. I look forward to the mornings so I can get out and walk fast again all over the place warming up. I have just started taking vit D 3 as I have been checked and im quite low. Going to look in to a light box.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    For me mornings have become a huge problem. It takes my husband half an hour of nagging to get me out of bed and he gets quite snarky with me because Im not up and at em like I am all summer. Im also making myself not go back to bed once I drop the kids to school. I was going for an early gym sesh but thats out the window for now cos of the ankle :( Im not sure if its SAD as my gp hasnt made a diagnosis and I suffer with depression anyway which complicates things but I have definitely crashed in the last 3 weeks after a really hyper summer