Fatty Liver Disease?

Options
Good Morning!
So, I have had fatty liver disease for about 18 months.
Since I was diagnosed, my numbers have stayed pretty close to normal, so my GI doctor said just to watch it.
Well over the past few weeks my numbers have skyrocketed and continue to increase.
This has kicked my butt in gear and I have started eating healthier, losing weight, and exercising.
I am also taking a supplement called Livatone Plus which is supposed to help with the liver issue.
Has anyone had any success lowering their liver enzymes? If so, how?
My doctor says if my numbers aren't any lower in two weeks then I will have to have a liver biopsy and that really scares me.
Thanks for the help,
Ashley

Replies

• CathMarissa
    CathMarissa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know this response is late and possibly of no help. I was just diagnosed with fatty liver disease and my doctor said the biggest piece of advice she has is to lose weight. She suggested 20% of my body weight (I'm 195ish and she'd like to see me around 150-155). It sounded to me like in many cases (but not all), eliminating alcohol and eating healthy can help avoid further problems (biopsy, cirrhosis, transplant, etc).

Hope you can avoid the biopsy!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you are eating but a low carb, high fat diet is the way to treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I'm assuming that is what you have. I suggest you do a Google search on the subject of LC & fatty liver.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My sister in law was able to reverse the damage done to her liver by the loss of a significant amount of weight-- probably 30 -40 pounds. She still has some weight to go, but she has maintained her loss for a couple of years now. She eats much healthier and exercises regularly -- she brought her liver test all back into the normal range.

She did not go on a low carb or low fat diet -- she monitored her diet and everything was in moderation. She avoided alcohol and medications which caused the liver to work harder as much as possible.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Careful what you read on MFP as you can get many idiots. Low carb and high fat has a potential to make your condition worse. If you really want to figure out if a high fat diet works for your medical condition, go to the doctor and get your enzyme level tested again after changing to a high fat diet and include a lipid blood panel test. But why waste your time on a gamble with something that can potentially make your condition worse? Just follow the standard medical advice, low fat balanced diet and lose weight fast.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Careful what you read on MFP as you can get many idiots. Low carb and high fat has a potential to make your condition worse. If you really want to figure out if a high fat diet works for your medical condition, go to the doctor and get your enzyme level tested again after changing to a high fat diet and include a lipid blood panel test. But why waste your time on a gamble with something that can potentially make your condition worse? Just follow the standard medical advice, low fat balanced diet and lose weight fast.

^ This!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options

^ This!

Absolutely agree that MFP has more than the usual number of people offering bad advice. Please do as I suggested & do a Google search on the subject. Look for recent studies rather than discussions on discussion boards. That way you can make an informed decision about what is best for you.
  • ShylasMum
    ShylasMum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed Monday with fatty liver disease and was told LOW Fat, low sugar, high protein, high fiber.
    I have also purchased a book off of Amazon by Dr. Susan Cabot that looks like it will answer a lot of my questions.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had your thyroid numbers looked at? There seems to be a correlation between thyroid disease and liver enzyme trouble. When my thyroid goes more out of whack my liver enzymes elevate as well (I have hashimoto's). Once I get my thyroid back in check my enzymes go back to normal. I've read of other thyroid patients with similar experiences in some FB groups.

Just a thought - there could be an underlying cause for your enzymes being high other than the generic "fatty liver disease" diagnosis.
  • ShylasMum
    Options
    I would also like to add that my doctor told me to NOT skip meals and don't go on a crash diet... it makes the condition worse. Slow and steady weight loss eating a healthy balanced meal at every meal and get in some exercise. Thank god for MFP tracking all the nutritional content of the foods we eat... makes it a little easier for me :happy:
  • ShylasMum
    Options
    Speaking for myself, yes I get bloodwork done every 3 to 6 months due to my issues and my thyroid is checked. I was not confirmed with fatty liver disease until after I had bloodwork done which showed the elevated liver enzymes, very high triglycerides, and then went for an ultrasound.
  • doctorandrew
    Options
    Ask your doctor about atorvastatin or similar alternatives in bringing your liver enzymes down. Stop the fatty invasion of your liver! You'll probably end up bringing it down with diet, exercise, and fat loss naturally.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    My elevated liver enzymes turned out to be the result of gallstones. Dr. suspected fatty liver disease, but the enzymes remained elevated even after I lost a lot of weight. Ultrasound showed gallstones. No more gall bladder, no more elevated liver enzymes!
  • teresalynn6
    Options
    Losing weight FAST is exactly what NOT to do! It overloads the liver and makes things much worse. A slow steady weight loss is much easier on the liver, so no crash diets. Also look in to Milk Thistle, it is often recommended to help heal the liver.
  • sharyn1029
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fatty liver last year after I hit a deer and was injured in the wreck. Even though I tried to lose weight (WW, my fit foods, no more sweet tea, more water, adding treadmill and walking), I gained. This year, I tried some liver cleansing tablets, which in a week, produced a terrible pain in my side that never went away. Getting to a diagnosis while you are 55 lbs over weight was a pain. All everyone kept saying was fatty liver, lose weight. I had every diagnosis from ulcers, constipation, food allergies and eventually was to the point where I couldn't eat any solid foods. Even with a liquid diet for 6 weeks, I had no weight loss. Still, all the advice I got was eat healthy (even though I was, NO ONE, believed me).

Finally had the gallbladder out as the drs could find nothing else. Come to find out, the injury caused scar tissue/adhesions around and in my gallbladder and into my liver. I do still have the fatty liver and had biopsies done that confirmed Stage 1 (FYI, my CT scan and ultrasound both said "severe" so I am thankful, it is not as bad as they initially thought).

I am FINALLY losing weight at about a 1 lb per week rate. My doctors have said, low fat, low sugar, and a diet in moderation without fast results over and over during the past year. They also warned that quick weight loss worsens fatty liver. I also inquired about low carb and other more stringent diets. The answer was just a good balanced diet with healthy meats, carbs, fruits and veggies. Finally, I have starting losing after the GB was out. I had eliminated wheat (not gluten) and dairy when I couldn't eat at the suggestion of one of the doctors, I do feel better without those things in my diet.

Down 14 lbs and now back to losing that original 40. After i get those pounds off, I will never go through having a bunch of doctors tell me there is nothing wrong with me and I just needed to lose weight. I am also looking forward to my next CT scan that will hopefully show better liver results.
  • leilatwo
    leilatwo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've also been diagnosed with fatty liver but had my gallbladder removed last week along with another medical necessary surgery. Enzymes elevated and I'm at least 40 lbs overweight. Although I'm not trying to do a crash diet, the stress of the surgery is causing rapid weight loss.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Find a good doctor and do what your doctor tells you to do. It's the smartest and best option you have.
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is from WebMD:

Eat a balanced and healthy diet and increase your physical activity. In addition to limiting calories, avoid diets rich in refined, rapidly digested carbohydrates. This includes limiting foods such as bread, grits, rice, potatoes, corn, and concentrated sugar that is found in sports drinks and juice.

Also the NY Times: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/ask-well-fatty-liver-and-diet/

• jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with NAFLD last November... since then he's dropped 50 pounds. First he was counting calories using mfp (which got me to start using it again!), but he stopped after awhile. He limited sweets and alcohol. Stopped eating mindlessly and cut back on the amount of bread and cheese he was eating (it was a lot!). He did a juice cleanse last April because he felt so horrible from all the cake and candy he ate in the weeks following Easter. He didn't do it to lose weight - just to give his organs a break because he felt... well... broken. I'm not suggesting a juice cleanse, but he thinks it really helped him - I actually was pretty mad at him for doing it because I felt he was getting too upset and crazy with his lifestyle change. AND! Turns out I was right. His liver enzymes are normal now, but he was so stressed out over his health that he had too much protein in his blood and actually made himself sick in other ways. MRI showed everything is fine, so he's relaxed a bit.

Anyway.. that's what he did. He's a little less militant in his diet now, but still limits alcohol and sugar which is probably good since liver issues AND diabetes run in his family. Also the supplement he took was milk thistle. Although he did not take it regularly.
  • Cjklast1
    Cjklast1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had high numbers on a blood test, and my doctor said it was either liver problems or a fatty liver, fatty liver being better, but on a subsequent test, the numbers were fine and nothing to worry about.