Fruits and Vegetables.

Options
So, for many years I didn't make much of an effort to eat fruits and vegetables, unless someone else made them or they were included in items i purchased from fast food or delivery.

As of late I include them quite often. But for the sake of time and to be honest the taste I have for them I only eat certain types on a regular basis. But I am concerned that it isn't enough... or maybe I am just being OCD about it and in actuality I am actually making good choices and there isn't any negative to the amount I am eating other than personal taste. looking for your opinions on the matter.

Fruits and veggies that I eat regularly. And almost daily.

Oranges
Bananas
prunes
tomatoes
broccoli
onion
carrots
spinach
green bell peppers

And then I also eat the following a few times a week:

Asparagus
green beans
zucchini

Anyway. that's the gist of what I eat for fruits and vegetables. You think this is a good enough selection, am I over worrying about my nutrition content...?

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That looks fine. In the Uk we have a 5 a day target of one piece of fruit or 80g of vegetables. Theres calls here to increase it to 7 a day but as most people struggle to get to 5, then you are doing great. They do say try and eat a mix of colours and you are. This is because they all offer a different mix of nutrients. Just find ones you like and keep trying new ones for variety.

Heres a link to our 5 a day with various articles.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Why5ADAY.aspx

This article is interesting as it shows why they are thinking of increasing it to 7 as it shows the benefit of eating more.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2014/04april/pages/five-a-day-should-be-upped-to-seven-a-day.aspx
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Id say you are doing pretty good. I eat a lot of the same things as well. I try to vary it as much as I can. One week i'll get just spinach for lunches, the next spinach and kale mix, the next spinach, kale and chard. I look for what's on sale as that changes each week. Try to get some berries in there too, they are chock full of antioxidents, fiber, all kinds of good stuff. If you don't think you'll eat fresh before they go bad, get frozen. Put some in fridge to thaw for you or use frozen in a smoothie. Way to get healthier! I never used to each many veggies either and now i'm eating things I never thought I would like! (cabbage and cauliflower)
  • ColdPlum
    ColdPlum Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Are there reasons to leave out other vegetables? How about kale? Sauteed in a touch coconut oil with garlic and red pepper flakes, Salt to taste and a spritz of lemon; truly addicting! Plus, kale is one of those superfood veggies. Peas are also a good vegetable to eat regularly. Sweet potatoes or orange squashes (butternut, acorn) would add some more diversity and vitamin A. You can always roast them and add butter and/or maple syrup or chop an onion and sauté in butter, then add chopped sweet potato or squash, chicken broth to cover, salt to taste, and simmer for 25 minutes. Blend in a blender and you have a lovely fall soup. I add pureed pickled jalepeno to mine, but that's me. On the fruit end...you are very much missing berries of any stripe. Rich in antioxidants and fiber, they are fantastic. Great sprinkled over oatmeal or waffles, or in a smoothie.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    Seems fine to me OP.

Sure, there are plenty of other fruits and veggies you could eat - but you can have a perfectly balanced diet with the ones you have; you do not have to add kale or peas or berries if you don't want to.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. No need to overthink it.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    All green vegetables are rich in fiber. Fruits like all type of berries, an apple, etc. are also rich in fiber and vitamins. To stay fit and fine one must include vegetable and fruits in his diet. Try to have green vegetables raw, which are high in fiber and protein than processed. Salad is a good option in this case.
    organicsfs.com/amazing-weight-loss-foods/http://

It's a good idea to include them but it's not necessary to be fit.

No but the fiber that is in fruits and veggies are extremely helpful for digestion and to make one feel more full.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My fruits and veggie selection is quite limited due to what I can stick to on a regular basis. So with that said, I think you are totally fine and doing great!!

I made roasted cauliflower with thyme, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt (and olive oil) last night!! Trying to expand my horizon a little :smile:
  • maxeman81
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I figured I was over worrying. I was 230lbs and now about 175lbs. But wanted to reassure myself that even though I was getting more fit I wanted to make sure I was hitting my essential vitamins and nutrients. I know there are a lot of other fruits and veggies that have phytonutrients for long term disease prevention but was more concerned with hitting my targets for everyday short term nutrition goals. Hope I am doing good with this. My busy lifestyle and moving around a lot does not allow me to have a lot of time to cook and try as many new things as I would like. So I often stick to what I am used to. I never turn down other fruits and veggies, but don't often go out of my way to get others in my routine.