Losing weight for dummies

Options
2»

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Since you mention going out to lunch is also a time for you to unwind, try this; whatever you order, try to choose something that is meat+vegetables, and avoid carbs/starches. And then, depending on the portion, maybe try not to eat it all.
    If all the other meals in your day are measured, this should help a bit.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    izu87 wrote: »
    Oh, salads and wraps. Surprisingly enough I never thought about packing those for lunch at work. I guess it's too obvious to think of it. >.<'

Thanks.

I will give it a try to prep meals and bring them to work. Hopefully this way I will make it.

So, so far we've got a few simple rules, right:
    1. Measure everything and count calories accurately
    2. Cook all for yourself if possible; if not make it possible
    3. Work out for additional deficit
    4. Don't drink your calories
    5. Drink water

Mm... any other little tips you would offer?

I would add "6 plan your eating in advance".

The benefit to packed lunches, for me, is I can weigh and record my food more accurately and plan my choices in advance.

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Move more and eat less is a good tip. If you are not losing weight it is because you are eating too much (generally). So, you can either 1) eat less - if you have to eat out, leave some on your plate. Don't eat it all. 2) Move much more to work off what you have eaten - although this does sound like a no-no with the time aspect 3) Do both.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This one may be obvious, but if you keep eating out, portion the plate off before you eat it. I usually don't ask for a to-go box right away, but I do cut everything in half and start from there. Typically if I eat out, I'll eat about half of whatever I bought (depending on how big it is) and then if I feel hungry later on in the evening, I will eat my own leftovers.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Hi

My little bit of advice is, if you are going to eat out try and eat at places that publish the nutritional information for their meals. Two examples here by us is KFC and Debonairs Pizza. That way you can plan for those meals as well. Some Deli's also have nutritional information for their food.
  • elysedorm
    Options
    Avoid foods that contain mayonnaise it has a ton of hidden calories. Also restaurants usually add a ton of butter or oil to everything they cook. At home you should learn what a cup of mashed potatoes, rice, a portion of meat looks like, and learn which ones will contain lower calorie amounts then choose those options when you eat out. Skip the bread and take hard boiled eggs for snacks for yourself, protein keeps you full longer. Replace pasta and potatoes with buckwheat sometimes.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    how tall are you, how much do you weigh?
    IMHO you should not give up eating out for lunch and sit alone at your desk, that would probably be a poor career move.
    Instead learn how to order properly, drink sips of water , eat raw veggies and request meat cooked without butter or with very little oil. Someone suggested eating one half of your food for lunch and the other half for dinner.

15kg is about 33 pounds, that is not a huge amount to lose but be very careful, during the upcoming holiday season, not to gain weight. Try to take it easy with all the sweet treats that "appear" in an office setting.

In addition, it may help you to avoid or eat small portions of potatoes, pasta and rice etc.
    GL

• misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oats is great for lunch too. Google it, you can put it together just before bedtime, bring it with you and eat for lunch. No cooking!
  • izu87
    izu87 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Thanks for the great posts.

A few things about me: I avoid bread; I don't eat anything fried (I don't like it + my stomach gets really upset); I don't like potatoes; I generally don't like food places like McDonalds/KFC/Burger kint/etc.; the only soda I like is Coke Zero, but I've minimized it to the max - maybe 1l in a week; I don't like mayonnaise; As a whole I'm horribly picky.

Unfortunately there are absolutely no food places around my work that offer nutritional information in any form. So it's either big time guessing; or going for home prepared stuff.

I'm 171-172cm tall, 78kg, 27 years, female.

My whole problem with food is that I'm an emotional eater who is very emotional. And who always goes for sweets that are highly caloric. :/
  • eddied91
    eddied91 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight. Scan the barcodes of all the stuff you eat with the app. Dont eat out and do some exercise. and just eat a calorie deficit
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP eddie

izu how about learning other ways of dealing with your emotions, other than eating?
  • izu87
    Options
    I am learning. I've been working out, meditating, focusing on books, music and movies.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    im going to be honest because when it comes to losing weight I don't know as much as the others on here. quite frankly im not going to wreck my brain over it, about whats right or wrong, etc. itll be too stressful so what I do is eyeball everything. I don't own a scale and don't plan on buying one. 9 times outta 10 ill over calculate because again I weigh nothing so id rather be safe than sorry. I eat whatever I want I just make sure I don't go over. sometimes I do sometimes I don't but im not stressing it like I did when I first started this. as of today I have lost 8 pounds. its not that hard but its not easy but you will find what works for you. this is what works for me
  • CGreen177
    CGreen177 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My only other piece of advice would be not to change too much at once. You need to find a balance that works for you, and can become a lifestyle - and one that doesn't make you unhappy and resentful! If you can tweak one thing at a time (and pick what you think would be an easy one to start) then that's great, and I found brought a lot of benefits personally. For instance - swap sweets for a piece of fruit. :)

Best of luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    eddied91 wrote: »
    If you want to lose weight. Scan the barcodes of all the stuff you eat with the app. Dont eat out and do some exercise. and just eat a calorie deficit

The OP lives in Bulgaria----no bar codes, or so she said.
  • izu87
    Options
    There are bar codes. But in the MFP database I can find only the imported goods. All the local goods have bar codes, but hardly ever any nutritional information comes with them. Things should change starting next year when the producers will be made to add full nutritional information to their labels...
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I typically work 10 hours a day and have about an hour commute both ways too. The key for me is prepare foods in advance. I usually spend an hour or two on my day off and make up a pot of something (beans, lentils, soup) to eat the during the coming week. I also hardboil a dozen eggs, chop up some grab and go veggies, make a batch of protein oatmeal bars (great stomach filler to get you from breakfast to lunch), roast some veggies, cook up some steel cut oats, bake a couple sweet potatoes, etc.

When I do go out to a restaurant, the first thing I usually do is split the main course in half and plan to take the other half home (another meal that will be easy to heat up).

Dividing the plate is another good trick. Fill half your plate with veggies, 1/4 with a protein and 1/4 with a starch or whatever else you want.

Using your hand as a guide in portion control is yet another trick. E.g., the tip of your finger is about 1 tsp, the palm of your hand is about 3 ounces of fish or protein, etc.