Marathon training?

Options
buhller
buhller Posts: 28 Member
I've been running for a little over a year, and have now decided to train for a local marathon in September. I've lost over 60 lbs and have about 30 to go, and figured this wouldn't be a bad way to do that. My biggest challenge so far has been in figuring out my nutrition -- basically, trying to figure out how to consistently get enough carbs in my day to fuel long runs.

Anyone else out there training for a long distance event? Any advice or whatever would be awesome.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In to see some answers.
    Never done any long distance running but I'd like to see the nutrition ideas.

When I'm playing soccer I usually take a powdered supplement with carbohydrates. Either powerbar powder or cytocarb or somethign similar.
    Really seems to help, its quick, easy, drinkable carbs.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I have walked two marathons. The biggest advice I can give you is to take a bunch of energy gel shots with you on distance runs, take one every 45 minutes or so and stay well hydrated. I don't remember exactly how many calories the gels have, but they'll keep you going until you can get home to eat real food. I would also suggest picking up a training book or join a team to train with. I'm really excited for you! It's an experience that you'll never forget!
  • snusp
    snusp Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm for the Marathon, too, but I have scheduled it for next summer :-) Hope you can share som of your experience.

It is strange, I always hated running until two years ago. And now I'm in for a challenge :-)

Good luck with your Marathon. You are doing a great job!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon. I've got about a month to go. Most people when running long distances will suck down energy gels which are a little thicker in consistency than syrup. For my half marathon, I'm just going to bring water with a little lemon and a dash of salt. I've been able to run 14 miles without having to worry about eating anything. I usually fuel up on carbs the night before, but not too much because I don't want to lug an extra two pounds while running...

If you've never done an endurance event before, I'd really recommend doing something shorter instead, like the half marathon. Ideally if you're still an intermediate runner, you should take about 16 weeks to adequately prepare your body for a half marathon and even longer for a full marathon.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have started training for a fall Marathon and am running around 50 miles a week right now. At 184 lbs while still in diet mode I try to eat about 400 grams of carbs and at least 120 grams of protein each day. This amount seems to be adequate for energy and recovery. To get there while dieting I have to cut down on fat and eliminate all non-essential stuff like alcohol and high calorie sugary things. Mostly I eat a lot of fruit and use a whey protein supplement along with regular food.

The protein seems to be making a big difference as I feel that I am recovering between workouts much better than in past years where my protein intake was probably closer to 60 - 80 grams per day.
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    Yay for you!!!!! I did a half-marathon in December 2009, and am training for another one, and it's a GREAT experience!
  • Queensgal
    Queensgal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on your weight loss!!! That's AWESOME! Okay, I've run 7 marathons & have learned from each of them. I have IBS, which, well, makes it very challenging for me. I will eat something light about 1.5 before my long run such as a banana or small bowl of oatmeal. During my runs I usually take 1(non caffeinated) gel for every 5 miles (some people take it sooner) with a drink. Most of my friends are not hungry right after a long run (unlike me) so I treat myself to that bagel. I find bananas to be the most beneficial without upsetting my stomach. Which marathon are you training for? Good luck!!!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm considering training for a half marathon in Sept, I havn't signed up yet.. So its kind of up in the air. Its a scary commitment for me. The longest I've ever ran before was 5k, so its quite the stretch. I need help with training aswell, I think I can manage the nutrition part, but the rest I'm having a hard time with. Technique, different running plans. Stretches, I hurt my hamstring last week running 5k, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or what else I should be doing. I looked up half marathon training schedules but there are so many different onces.. I have no idea where to start. Thanks for starting the thread, looking forward to more tips. :)
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kghamilton
    kghamilton Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome to the world of marathons!
    I've run 22 marathons/ultras. Nutrition is very different for a half marathon than a marathon. The muscles can store enough fuel (glycogen) for a half marathon. The marathon is different. Your body has enough fuel for about 20 miles, which is why people hit the wall in the late stages of the marathons. Adding carbs before and during is important in extending the fuel your muscles have.

As for me, I've lost a lot of weight and consistent training is an important part of it. I reached a high of about 215 several years ago and am now 158.
    I loosely follow the Paleo For Athletes model but have also read parts of 4 Hour Body. I try to avoid sugars and flours, except on my cheat day. Sometimes I have more than one cheat day (I will also have beer or wine a few days a week).. A recovery drink after my long runs is important in maintaining carbs and I also like adding some beans that 4 Hour Body recommends (but Paleo says to avoid). I take a green foods supplement as well. I will say that I run 40+ miles most weeks and eat nowhere near 400 grams of carbs per day.

During races, I generally rely on sports drink, but will grab a gel, maybe 2 during the race. My first marathon was in 1985, long before gels were even invented.

If you have been running consistently and currently have a long run of 8-10 miles, there's no reason why you can't run a marathon in 4 months, if you gradually add to your long run every week or 2. Ideally you'll have 2-3 long runs of `18-21 miles before the marathon and then start cutting back your training about 3 weeks before the race.
  • buhller
    buhller Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. FYI, this is the training schedule I'll be using is here: http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/novices.html, and the marathon I'm training for is here: http://siouxfallsmarathonhalfmarathon.com/. I've been doing a 12-week half marathon schedule by the same guy since the end of February, and will start the above schedule next week.

I don't have a time goal (given that this will be my first event doing anything longer than a 10k), and I'm pretty much just hoping to not get dead last. The energy gels are great advice. Yay!
  • kghamilton
    Options
    Higdon's plan will get you to the finish.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I was following Higdon's plan for a Half when I was training for one. It's pretty solid, just listen to your body when your long run is getting to the high mileage. I would use Hammer gels, and they were roughly 80-90 calories each. I'd take the first one after the hour mark of my long run, and another one every 45 minutes or so. There's a lot of good reading out there about race nutrition you can check out.
  • shawn526
    shawn526 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've run all 19 of my marathons using Higdon's plans, sometimes modified a bit :) I take one gel every 5 miles up until about 15 or so, then I switch to Shot Blocks (I have gagging issues with the texture at that point, lol.)

Good luck, and have fun!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I too am a 22 time marathoner. I always point newbies to Higdon, but I suggest his Intermediate I over the Novice program for a couple reasons. First it has two 20 milers, second it does not have a rest day before your long runs. To me, learning to run long on tired legs is really important.

Lastly, these training programs should be used a guideline. Feel free to tweak as needed.

Good luck!
  • kghamilton
    Options
    That's a good point about running on tired legs. I think its more important for someone who is getting more serious about running a specific time though (or wants to get into the world of ultras).
    For further training advice, check out Pfitzinger's book Advanced Marathoning. I don't follow any of the programs specifically, but have learned a lot about using target heart rate zones for different types of workouts. Also deemphasizes intervals, and incorporates more tempo runs. Challenging schedules, but also some great information.

Be careful not to increase mileage AND intensity at the same time. That can be an easy path to injury