Just ran my first 5K!

Options
loratliff
loratliff Posts: 283 Member
I've never been a runner. So, when I finally committed myself to Couch to 5K at the beginning of October, I was skeptical about completing the program, much less enjoying it.

My final workout was Friday. I ran my first 5K race today. I finished in 32:17 (my goal time was 33:00) with splits of 11:32, 10:24, 9:28, and 8:26. The last full mile was my fastest one yet! And you know what? It felt great.

To anyone who's working their way through the program, I plead of you: Stick with it. Don't skip workouts. Don't be afraid of the workouts, even when they seem impossible (Week 5, I'm looking at you). Run the full distance, no matter how slow you're going. You *can* do it, and you might find you even enjoy it!

While I'm proud of my first race (one of many, I hope), I really wanted to write this not to boast, but to encourage the whole lot of us who are working our way through C25K and maybe a few people who have considered the program but (literally) haven't taken the first step. I can't recommend it more highly.

Good luck, and you can do it!

cawalvozk3ry.jpg

Replies

• Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm a slow jogger/walker, but I love 5K fun runs. I didn't do C25K but I've heard nothing but good stuff about it as a way to get you up to running it. Last month and again on Thanksgiving, I ran my first 5Ks without stopping at all in them and under 38 and then 37 minutes, a big success for me. Anyone thinking about it - do it! It's fun and no pressure on the fun run 5Ks - just loads of walkers, runners, and everything in between.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Aw congrats!! I just finished my c25k and ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving. My time wasn't nearly as good as yours at 39:20.... But it beat my personal best so I'm happy!! Congrats again!!
  • steebsthegreat
    steebsthegreat Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Fantastic time for your first race! Mine was 39:26 (I wanted to be under 40:00). I also used C25k before my first 5k. I was coming off 3 months of PT from an ankle injury and I never thought it would do it. I've recommended it to so many people.
    I'm actually doing C25k again, this time actually focusing on time. I'm aiming for under 35:00 for my next one!
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I cant believe how much fun C25K is I've never been a runner but I'm off out to do week 5 day 2 in a few minutes. Loving it :smiley:
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is one of my next goals!! Well done! I will be started my C25K very soon! :smile:
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Great job! I started running about 7 months ago and have totally got the bug. My first 5K was such a thrill. I agree it's well worth sticking with.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Well done. Another C25K convert here. Running my first 10K in a couple of weeks. It does get quite addictive!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Awesome. And that time is amazing. I was excited to be under 45 minutes for my first 5k. Looking to be under 35 min for this year.
  • AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    WOW!! I absolutely love your picture! Look how happy you are!! Good job, lady! :)
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing time for your first race! Well done you!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I told my boyfriend my goal finish time so he knew when to stand at the finish line. He said he was getting a little nervous when the clock crept up to 31 minutes and he didn't see me yet, haha.

It felt great, and I can't wait to get started on the 10K program!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    congrats on that!!! and good luck on the 10 k program...but hey you could shoot for that sub-30!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Congrats! That's awesome.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    What a great accomplishment, and a great photo. You look like you're enjoying yourself!
  • jc93230
    jc93230 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    World class grin right there! Congrats!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    awesome!!!!WHATS NEXT ?
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What a great time for your first 5k! I am halfway through the Zombies, Run 5k training program, but I don't know if I will get a chance to run a race before the spring.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this program. Congrats to you!!! Awesome job, great time!
  • frecklesandfries
    frecklesandfries Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yay, you just inspired me to print of the Couch to 5k program and get myself motivated to try this again! I always make it about halfway through and then stop but I am determined to finish this time!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!