Are you staying completely away from your trigger foods?

Options

Replies

• LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    Have you tried Pb2 for peanut butter?
    And for most things I'm an "everything in moderation" kinda person, but I know for a fact nutella can't be in the same vicinity as me without the temptation for a spoon every time I walk past... sigh
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I didn't think that I actually had any trigger foods. Turns out it's gummy candies. I will eat an entire bag of gummy bears if you put it in front of me. A days worth of calories just gone in a snap. I eat a few very very very rarely these days.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been at this a year and I mostly just stay well away from my trigger foods. Any time I've thought ''maybe this time...'' it's just backfired so badly. There are simply a couple of foods I do not have control over. I've gotten a bit better in that if I just buy say, a small 30g bag of chips it's fine. It's when there's more, I'll always eat more (or, all).
  • Mufflana
    Mufflana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I stay away if at all possible, for me it is white carbs, bread and potatoes and crisps, once I start it is a steamroller effect....and I end up weighing nearly as much as the steamroller too! I find that the longer I don't eat these trigger foods the less I am really craving them and it is then easier to look at them and say ' you're just not worth it'. Good luck in finding what works for you, it helps to get ideas and suggestions but in the end it is down to you finding a balance that suits you and your body
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Yes for now. I find I'm not drawn to them as much either. I have a goal weight and once I reach it, I may add them back in moderation. I feel I can do that now. But I currently would rather get to maintenance as quickly as possible. There will be time and a few more calories to responsibly spend then. Until then, I don't miss them. It isn't that I can't eat them because they are "bad"; it's that I don't eat them right now. Because I don't feel like it.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat what I want, when I want it, in moderation. I stopped snacking mindlessly though (i.e. sitting in front of the TV with the family sized bag of chips; now, I'll measure out a serving and stop when they're gone).

• frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    frksfrau wrote: »
    I know if I get a taste I will eat the jar. What about you? ?

No the glass is too crunchy B)

That's why I bought one one in the plastic jar. =D

I just know that if I buy it and taste it, I can't stop eating it. Whether it is my low will power or that my body craves it, I guess in the end, it doesn't really matter. I can't have it in my house in jar quantities. I need to stay away from it for a while. I may try a single serving in several months to test the waters.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends honestly. Basically I keep disillusioning myself into thinking that I can just have one piece of something, but it doesn't often work out that way. So right now, yes, I'm avoiding, although still having some other things in moderation (or I'll make room in my day and go somewhere and have one serving of the thing I crave).

For me it's always sweets though, typically baked good and hazelnut filled chocolates. Ice cream I can eat in moderation for a week then my hormones kick in and I finish the pint, so I'm actively avoiding buying some as well.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I avoid completely, I'll give up and binge. I try to have a little "treat" every day. It helps me a lot.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some yes some no. That's because after so many months (years?) of eating better, I can actually enjoy some of my previous trigger foods in moderation! For a long time I couldn't buy cookies because I'd eat the whole package. My poor deprived kids! Now I keep cookies in the house and eat one occasionally and don't really think about it. Much.

Nutella is still a no. Can't buy that stuff...can barely walk past it in the grocery store. That stuff is like crack to me.
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    .... I think you have to look inward and find out what works for you and what doesn't.

I agree and this is exactly what I had to do to get me started and focused. Now, if I have the urge to go and eat the treats that my husband has in the cupboard, I remember how it feels after I've eaten that whole chocolate bar or bag of chips (ashamed, weak etc) and I go grab a carrot instead.

That's kind of what's gotten me past having chocolate every day like I used to.
    Now the rule I have for myself is that if I have a chocolate or treat craving, I have to have a carrot first to decide if I'm just a little bit hungry and being lazy or if it's a bonafide craving. Also, I like to try and be thrifty with my cals so most days, wasting them is not ok with me.

Usually, it's the first and the carrot does the trick :)
  • tonyamariepierce
    tonyamariepierce Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    an open bag of potato chips is an empty bag of potato chips. no moderation. if the bag is sealed I am fine, but once its open, its going to gone. I wish I had control but its better to not even allow them into my home
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    frksfrau wrote: »
    I've been on my plan for approximately 6 weeks. I've done fairly well, but I stay completely away from my trigger foods, such as Peanut Butter. It had gotten so bad that my family were hiding jars. Last week while organizing his dresser, my husband found a jar and he burst out laughing.

I know if I get a taste I will eat the jar. What about you? Are you staying away? Or, have you found a solution of having your peanut butter and eating it, too?
    i dont stay away from any of my trigger foods . Solution: i just add a little bit of it most days that i want it without going over my calorie goal
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my sin food. I try not to buy it myself because I know I'll eat the whole bag and destroy all the evidence (except for the extra pounds on my butt). I'll still eat it as a treat at someone else's place, when offered. This way I get to enjoy it occasionally but can't eat too much because the fear of being judged overpowers the temptation to eat everything in sight.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I cut out EVERYTHING that I was prone to overeating. I have added many of them back in now and I'm able to eat them in moderation now but I wouldn't have been able to simply "cut back". For me, I had to completely eliminate and live without for several months and then add back in a controlled way. Sometimes adding back a food would trigger a mini-binge but I'd just cut it out and try again. Ultimately I don't want to have any food that is "off limits" due to lack of self control, but it's a process and doesn't happen overnight.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't bring trigger foods into my house like popcorn, ice cream, cookie butter, etc. I still enjoy those items but outside of my house and on a weekend. I wish I could be one of those people that keep items and stick to a serving but I'm not. This works for me. I did, however, have a friend stay over and we had to go to the store when she realized I had no snack items in the house like chips for her to munch on.
  • msKoach
    Options
    Yes, I've had to cut out my trigger foods once I found out I have a wheat allergy (it's cookies and cakes for me) I refuse to find a recipe for a wheat free version as I know I will just eat them all.
    Strict avoidance is easier than just a little bite. that's like taking one step and hoping I don't fall into the bottomless pit. I'm really bad :/
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've had to learn the hard way that my self-control isn't as strong as I thought it was. I was pleased as punch to see Triscuits on sale at Publix and bought a few boxes. I figured that I was wise enough to only grab a few... and yeah no, more like half the box. The same with the coconut milk ice cream I bought. I opened it up, took a few bites aaaaaand ended up hitting the bottom of the container. AAHHHHH 8(

I've learned it's better to simply not have things like that around.
  • kclay1021
    kclay1021 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    Yes and no. I am having them less often. I find I don't do well with deprivation.

This - I have a hard time having chips in the house because even if I portion it out. . . I'll go back for the second portion and the third and maybe even a fourth...........depending on which kind they are :-)