Gained On New Calorie Goal, Should I be Worried?

Options
Last Wednesday I weighed in at 145.3 lbs.

Now today I weighed in at 146.9 lbs :(.

What changed between Wednesday and today is that I raised my calorie intake from around 1,300 to now 1,490 calories. I did it using the guided option on MFP. I double-checked with a TDEE calculator, and with the usual -20% I get 1,454 with NO exercise. I exercise at least three times a week and although I sit at school for part of the day, I have a part-time job where I am always on my feet and walking around.

I have been consistent with weighing and measuring my food.

Is it possible to gain weight like that in that time period? I really don't want to put on weight that I have worked so hard to take off.

The reason I upped my calories is I felt I was lacking energy, but I will drop back down if it's really necessary to keep losing weight.

Thanks for any advice :)

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    water weight
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    personal example - the day after thanksgiving, i weighed in at 140...today i weigh 135.2
  • 1shirley
    1shirley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. That has happened to me many times. Also, if you celebrated Thanksgiving, there was probably a whole lot of salt that you probably didn't even realize you had. Lots of water will help flush that out if that's the cause. I find I can eat out and gain 2 lbs. by the next day and then it's gone when I focus on losing it. It's a constant battle, but worth it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Most people just naturally bounce within a 3-5 lb. range. It's hard to detect small gains/losses for that reason.

Did those extra 190 calories give you more energy? My energy doesn't seem at all tied to my intake is why I ask.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks to settled down - if you're not still losing after then cut back (but you will be)
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Give it a couple of weeks, when I upped my net calories from 1200 to 1500 (2000 minus exercise) and I didn't even dare to look at the scale for two weeks, when I started weighing again, I had lost a pound and I'm still losing.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How quickly were you losing weight at 1300? The reason I ask is that TDEE calculators estimate your TDEE. But there's variation within the population. One calculator estimates my sedentary TDEE at 1896, but my weight loss rate shows that it's really around 1800.

If your weight loss at 1300 was slower than TDEE calculators predict, then it's possible that you will gain at 1490.

However, as you increase calories, you'll also start to store more glycogen in your muscles, which store glycogen bound with 3-4 times its weight in water. So it's also entirely possible that the extra weight comes from that. That's one reason that many weight loss advisors suggest dropping down a few pounds below your goal before you transition to maintenance calories: you'll gain a bit of scale weight (but not fat) as you replenish muscle glycogen.