Any other 5'2 women with a low TDEE?

Options
I don't know if I'm doing this wrong, but I recalculated my TDEE and BMR and as a 32 year old 5'2, 139.8lb woman, my BMR is 1295 and my TDEE minus 20 is 1470.

I workout at least 3 times a week.

That's frustrating because the last time I calculated things I was much higher. No wonder I haven't lost anything in awhile. I've been overeating for weightloss.

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yeah, at 5'2" and almost 65 years old and kind of crippled up,my numbers are even lower than yours. If I want to lose or maintain not many calories can pass through these lips :'(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Okay I just looked and you're -20 is that. I thought you entered something wrong.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'2, almost 43 and 138lbs...my TDEE -20% is 1477 when calculated with light exercise 3x per week, so that sounds about right. As shorties, we smaller people need to eat less. That said, I'm not doing -20% at this stage. 138 is already within a healthy range
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Okay I just looked and you're -20 is that. I thought you entered something wrong.

I know! I thought I entered something wrong too. I haven't kept up with recalculating it as I've lost, and now know why I have barely lost anything lately. Been eating too much for weight loss. :/
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,730 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ... I'm not doing -20% at this stage. 138 is already within a healthy range

Good point. OP, consider doing TDEE -10% so you get more calories to play with. It will take longer to lose those few pounds but it might be easier to start with if you've been over-eating or eating at maintenance. TDEE -10% would give you about 1600 cals. :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Yup. That's the way it is. On a positive note...it's cheaper, if you don't need as much food B)
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ... I'm not doing -20% at this stage. 138 is already within a healthy range

Good point. OP, consider doing TDEE -10% so you get more calories to play with. It will take longer to lose those few pounds but it might be easier to start with if you've been over-eating or eating at maintenance. TDEE -10% would give you about 1600 cals. :)

Thank you. I will switch I think. I've lost 32lbs so far, but things stalled out and now I know why. So frustrating seeing those numbers though. That's what happens when you don't keep it updated though. Lesson learned.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Cal needs are not so much based on height than weight and activity level. Bodyfat % is also a factor in energy needs. Do you happen to know your BF %? Your Bodyweight is lower so your cal needs are lower. I would suggest NOT eating @ a 20% cut. That is fairly aggressive and with your lower bodyweight - will actually be counterproductive. That isn't many cals for body, mind nor spirit. also! A sure fire way to raise your TDEE is by changing your body composition by adding strength training to your life. it's NOT an overnight process, but it has many benefits & I'm passionate about women getting in on this "secret sauce" that benefits not only our bodyfat % but our bone density and functional strength as we age. Strength training can start with bodyweight exercises and an excellent site to check out is NerdFitness.com. Be sure to read Staci's story. It solidified my decision to start lifting @ age 47. My stats: age 51, 70 lbs lost, 5'4 , right knee replaced, TDEE 2200+ , want to change the world by teaching women to desdlift.

Have a FABulous day!