The Myth of Starvation Mode?

Options
13»

Replies

• wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Okay, someone on this site finally explained this to me in plain english and it makes sense.

All these numbers are examples, everyone is different, obv.

Your body can take 1500/day and maintain your weight.
    Your calorie is set to 1200/day to keep it fueled and functioning.
    You are still 300 less than you need, this is fat loss. mfp automatically puts this calorie amount at 2/wk (or whatever)
    You work out, and take away an extra 400.
    Now you are at a 400 deficit and your body doesn't have enough to fuel it.

Now to the car analogy.
    If your car doesn't have enough oil it will run for awhile.
    (your body will lose weight)
    Eventually your car will seize.
    (weight loss will stop)

The problem is restarting the car after its seized.

The bigger you are, the longer your car will run, but it too will eventually freeze.

And now, the poor HOERS is dead.
  • mrjason
    mrjason Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love this topic.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Well, call it what you like. I've eaten about 500 calories a day for the past ten years...once I upped to about 1100-1200 calories a day, with a balance of protein and complex carbs, the visceral fat just started melting away.

Now that I've changed my lifestyle, I think that I was harboring fat cells, even though I only ate once a day. So, from my own experience, I say yes, there is a starvation mode, and the body holds onto the fat to keep one alive.

Use your own thoughts.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    putting this post in my back pocket for reading later.
    Please do yourself a favor and don't, it is only confusing at best and beats a really dead horse!
    I recant this comment. I was having a sarcastic moment! It is actually an interesting read!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    @ therapistmama

I am assuming your name is supposed to be "therapist" mama....but every time I see it it says "the RAPIST mama":laugh:
    It's all in the spacing!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    ^^

Oh dear, that's unfortunate! haha

Thanks for the all the info. My instincts are still to go with the people saying it is greatly exaggerated and is more of a slowed metabolism than a halted (or even reversed?!) weight loss. Valid examples on both sides though - eek!

Ugh, I don't know, I think I'd rather eat less and take the slighly greater weight loss, even though it won't be double the weight that I would lose if I was eating double the calories.

I'm not starving myself (region 950-1000 cals a day) but, with the amount of exercise I usually do, I'm often required to eat 1800 or 1900 calories a day and I'm only 5'1" with a BMI of approximately 21 - 21.5 (I'm not weighing myself at the moment so I don't really know). It just seems like too much food to eat and expect to lose weight.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Please check out this thread..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

It contains lots of information about calories, exercise and starvation mode and should answer any questions you may have.

:flowerforyou:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I roll my eyes when most people mention starvation mode on here. Lowering metabolism occurs, absolutely, but not weight loss reversal, unless you start eating more.

i agree.

I also roll my eyes when people think 1200 is a magic number that they must go over or their body will immediately go into starvation mode.

"starvation" is when you take in half or less than your recommended calories per day, so theyve taken the average of 2400 cals, and halved it as a baseline, but most people need much less than 2400 so there will be plenty of people who wont go into starvation at 1200
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you. I roll my eyes when most people mention starvation mode on here. Lowering metabolism occurs, absolutely, but not weight loss reversal, unless you start eating more.

i agree.

I also roll my eyes when people think 1200 is a magic number that they must go over or their body will immediately go into starvation mode.

"starvation" is when you take in half or less than your recommended calories per day, so theyve taken the average of 2400 cals, and halved it as a baseline, but most people need much less than 2400 so there will be plenty of people who wont go into starvation at 1200
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    if your bmi is around 30 or greater, i think you can kinda ignore it until you lose more weight

AMEN!! no 300 lbs person is gonna go into starvation mode...
  • diverchic73
    diverchic73 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    b220091404.jpg

Now, let's beat it to death, and beat it again.

OHMYEFFINGOD!!! i am mother effin absolutely peeing my pants laughing while totally rolling on the floor all over hte place and coughing from the hysteria!!! (and i probably burned about 22 calories doing so...best eat them back)

okay, you win. :)

LOVE IT!!!

love the picture

love the response as it sums up my reaction to the picture exactly!
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    "over most ranges of normal calorie intake, the fewer calories you eat the more weight you will lose. Whilst it's true that with calorie restriction the body becomes more efficient, the concept of weight loss halting altogether or even reversing is completely false. If this happened the sad fact of millions starving to death through famine wouldn't happen.
    This line of reasoning makes no sense. People who starve to death or are anorexic will consume VERY little or nothing for weeks at a time. "Dieters" are still eating a significant amount of food, but it is less than what their body needs to function off of.

Another thing some people say against starvation mode is that it was necessary in caveman times, but we've evolved since then and our bodies aren't worried about starving in our modern times. Seriously? We've evolved over billions of years and you think that 5 or even 10 thousand years is enough for our bodies to evolve to a 'higher level' to where they've learned that we have an adequate food supply in developed nations? That's ignorant.

Obviously, I believe starvation mode to be very valid and I think most of the people who don't and think they can net around 500 calories a day are misinformed. I would say they're only hurting themselves, but with public forums like these, they can misinform others.
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    All the comments about beating a dead horse kind of tick me off! Posting that picture, and the comments....was just plain RUDE! To me it's simple....if you are tired of a subject, or have nothing constructive to add....why say anything at all???? Just like comments I have seen people leave chastising someone for not eating the way they think they should or doing things the way they would....and offering their unasked for "help". I have seen some nasty, rude comments on this site...not a lot, but more than I'd like to see. Everyone is different and not everything works for everyone. My Mom was losing weight all along at a steady pace before she joined this site. After she joined and was told she should eat 1200 calories a day...or go into "starvation mode"...she started gaining weight and just got discouraged and more confused. I suggested she not worry about this site but go back to whatever she was doing before...she did it and is doing better. We are all here to support each other...not to put anybody down or make fun of them for posting something. I hate the fact that some people on here act like they are the nutrition and diet Gods with all the answers for everybody...it is uncalled for! And......my mother taught me at a young age that if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all! As far as "Starvation mode"....I suppose in a few months or years the experts will decide that this is not true....just like they do everything else....lol! They are always changing their minds. I'm not sure what I believe about the "starvation mode" either. Just try to do your best to eat healthy...watch your portions...eat slowly and only until you feel satisfied...if you're not hungry don't eat. Exercise and live as actively as you can. Basically just take care of yourself...don't follow "fad diets" and don't expect overnight results. Slower and steadily... consistently...balance...I believe those are key. And if you reach a plateau just hang in there and do your best until it passes....or change something up a little uintil you get results. I'm no expert and I'm definitely not perfect....but I try to look at how the rest of Mother nature's creatures live...especially in the wild...and follow their example. You don't see them chowing on refined sugars, or over processed foods...and they don't usually stand around eating until they can't move...lol! This is, of course, just all my opinion. Everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But, I think we should all make the effort to help support each other...not laugh at and put others down! Good luck on your getting healthier journeys everyone!
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    if your bmi is around 30 or greater, i think you can kinda ignore it until you lose more weight

AMEN!! no 300 lbs person is gonna go into starvation mode...

LOL...I have always said "I could live off my body fat for a month before I'd start starving"
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me and I read in a book by Tom Venuto that if the deficit is caused mostly from exercise the body does not react the same as if the deficit is caused by extreme calorie restriction hence burn the fat, feed the muscle. My PT says be sure to eat your BMR and that's it - no need to worry about 'eating back' exercise calories.

I don't think 'starvation mode' is as true as people say it is - IMO but we're all entitled to believe what we choose
  • nkenga
    nkenga Posts: 46
    Options
    I agree with you, and a lot of nutritionists agree with you as well.

However, a lot agree with the other side of the coin, too. It's hard to say who is right.