Yoga for a beginner ?

Options
Can any yoga fans give a beginner some advice on where to start/ make sense of it all ? :smile:

Yoga's been something I've contemplated for a long time, but never dipped my toe in, and would like to rectify that now.

I know there's a lot of different forms, and suppose my main objectives in dabbling in some would be that of increasing overall flexibility, and also helping to keep my back tip-top (disc problem in the past).

Anything I could get stuck into at home via an instructional dvd/ video would be preferrable, as well as a form that lends itself to clearing the mind as opposed to a boot-camp session, lol.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• gurdygur
    gurdygur Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi! You should try out myvirtualyoga (website), you have access to a wide range of videos and an amazing guide and you can try different ones to find out what you prefer.
    Basic yoga for beginners is usually Hatha, which are the same basic moves you hold over a period of time. Of course, it would also be ideal if you have access to a studio, the instructor can help you get some of the postures right.
    I used to do yoga 3 times a week, but now since I go to the gym I have added Kundalini or Restorative to my workouts. They are much more relaxed and focus on breathing and meditating, and on balancing the nervous system (restorative).
    Hope you find what you are looking for! Yoga is a great practice for mind and body, hope you end up enjoying it as much as I do.
  • mashulka
    mashulka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, to add to the above member ... Hatha is the oldest style of yoga - I'm certified Hatha teacher. If this is something you'd like to entertain, I suggest finding a local studio and attending a few classes just to better understand the process of meditation, full body relaxation, etc. It may be slightly difficult to find that peace you're looking for at home. Sometimes we may have to leave our environment to find it. When you've built your own practice with the help of a teacher, you can definitely download some meditation lectures off the web to listen to as you flow through your postures.

I bet after attending a studio, you won't be able to practice at home ... I can't! :-)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend finding a local studio and consulting with an instructor to get started. They will help you identify the style and poses you are looking for, plus help you with your form.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions, and what you've advised is really what I'm looking for.

I have a local studio that is not too far from me, but ultimately I would like to be able to practice from home, especially during winter with the adverse weather. I guess that's why I'm really considering yoga properly now - to fit in on one or even two of my lighter activity days.

I've nothing against a studio or instructor I should say, it's just when I did pilates before, I found it very difficult to transition from going to the studio for a class to doing it at home on my own time. Part of that was that I just found it difficult to remember the movements after the class, thus why I'm interested in good materials on dvd also for reference, as I appreciate good form a lot in other areas like resistance training :smile:
  • soapyskin
    soapyskin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love practicing at home, as well as studio practice. I really enjoy Yoga with Adriene; she will break down the fundamentals, and her method of instructing is helpful (especially for beginners). If you scroll down on her channel you'll see a series of Yoga for Beginners videos.

I also got quite into Rodney Yee for my at home practice. He has a 8 Week Yoga at Home book out, and the information in it is fantastic to really master the key standing postures, as well as all the other important benefits (twists, meditation, relaxation techniques).

Like the above recommendations, I would definitely go to that local studio for at least a month to see how it impacts your practice. Forgive yourself for forgetting moves, and let the teacher (or sometimes, other students) help you along. There are moments in a class where I can get completely lost if there are too many quick transitions; a good teacher will come up to you and guide you through it. In no time you'll find yourself flowing perfectly.

Good luck in your practice! Namaste :)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like videos from Rodney Yee or Yoga Journal. The yoga journal website has a great tool where you can design your own sequences and it explains to you how to do the poses. It will also give you pose suggestions based on medical issues you have or limitations.

Going to studios to start is good just to make sure that you are learning how to do the pose correctly. You can always ask the teacher to write down the poses you do there and then you can use the Yoga Journal website to help you remember them when you do them at home.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions, and what you've advised is really what I'm looking for.

I've nothing against a studio or instructor I should say, it's just when I did pilates before, I found it very difficult to transition from going to the studio for a class to doing it at home on my own time. Part of that was that I just found it difficult to remember the movements after the class, thus why I'm interested in good materials on dvd also for reference, as I appreciate good form a lot in other areas like resistance training :smile:

If you find the right teacher, he/she would be able to give you a sequence you could do at home - writing them down for you. Or, if you find a teacher you like, you could then look for videos/audios/books that are that same style.
  • jaimekbee1219
    jaimekbee1219 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have a yoga app that I'm in love with called Daily Yoga. It has free "classes." I paid for the subscription (it was 50% off when I got it - so 17.99) which sequences the classes for you. There's a two week intro to the poses as well. I also used to use a pretty easy DVD called Yoga for Weightloss with Susanne Deason (from Gaiam). I've been meanin to dig that out...

And while I love practicing at home, I have been trying to find a studio so I can have some better guidance on the poses. It's just been hard to find classes that work with my schedule. I had a yogi friend help me fix some poses, and that kinda sparked my desire to be in a studio.
  • fitcurves6693
    fitcurves6693 Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    I do yoga regularly, but struggle with floor stretching of my hamstrings. I am not sure I will ever get my face all the way to my knee, but it feels amazing!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Optimally if you were to go to a qualified yoga instructor, you wouldn't have to go to a boot camp style of class unless you chose to do so. I've been to gym yoga classes. I've done yoga videos. However, I had absolutely no idea that I was doing things less than optimally until I went to an actual yoga studio with an instructor who focused a lot on anatomy and mechanics, as well as breathing. They actually correct your form, answer questions, and give you modifications. I now feel comfortable doing videos again or doing gym classes but basically I didn't know what I didn't know until I got a good instructor with many, many more hours of training than a gym instructor! Now I know how to make my yoga work for me.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback - I shall definitely check out the local yoga studio in the near future, as time permits (December tends to be busy for me) :smile:
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    You obviously have the interest, so my suggestion is "Don't put it off today cause tomorrow might never come." Make the time to just do it. I am very good at the to busy thing. I am going through that right know. So I am also going to follow my advice and get back to the gym. I have to say, I have seen you on several conversations and you are on the right track looking for help. You also seem very willing to take the advice given you. Very impressed with you. You've got this (*)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    YogaJournal.com has a great library of exercises and guides- all for free. I love the DVD collection of Namaste Yoga by Kate Potter: Nice and slow, short (30 min sessions that include warm up, flow, and cool down), touches on anasa (poses) as well as prayana (breathing), and has a light spiritual and meditative quality that isn't annoying.