Eating early breakfast. Starving throughout the whole day

Options

Replies

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i eat a small snack before breakfast usually and then have my oatmeal or whatever and then 2 hours later i eat another snack. if you're hungry you should eat! prep snacks/meals ahead of time and bring em with you. i eat like every 2 hours, smaller portions in frequent amounts is what my body loves. find what was working for you, timing has no effect on weight loss as long as you're watching the calories you consume. snacks are my fav thing about each day lol
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, not hungry for a start and if I do I end up the same situation as the OP (hungry all day!).

Sometimes I'll have a snack at 11am, most of the time I wait for lunch at 1pm.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    So don't eat early if you are not hungry then! Meal time has absolutely NO influence on weight loss....

yep
  • Kimmiebatchy
    Kimmiebatchy Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fitcrt wrote: »
    Eat a small breakfast - say 200 calories (1 egg & low carb toast) & then have a snack for around 100 calories (yogurt, nuts or jerky).

I agree with this, eat something smaller and then have a snack later when you are hungry. Breakfast is essential to kick start your metabolism and start your body burning those calories!

• Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry for breakfast, don't eat it. Eat breakfast when you are hungry even if it needs to be a cereal bar or something else portable because you can't sit down to eat when you do get hungry. Me, I'm starving when I wake up in the morning and eat smaller meals with lots of snacking inbetween to control hunger.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, so I don't eat breakfast until 9 or 10. As others say, it doesn't matter when you eat.

In fact, there are some theories that will argue against breakfast. I don't have an opinion either way, but here is one such article by Martin Berkhan of Leangains (not for the easily offended): leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Check out intermittent fasting. There are even potential benefits from going a little more than 12 hours fasting every day, and there are many adherents of 14:10 (14 hours fasting, 10 hours eating) or 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hours eating) fasting each day.

People can decide for themselves if there's any real benefits for them through such protocols, but having dabbled with a little 16:8 recently, I actually found I had increased focus in the mornings when I went without food until midday. Others find it helps with adherence to their daily intake. I didn't find that myself, but generally its supposed to take about 2 weeks to re-align eating patterns, and I only tried it for 3 days.

Personally speaking though, its something I will try again in the future, and the only reason I gave it three days, was that I needed to focus on getting other things in my diet and intake right, before throwing IF into the mix too.

Bottomline - skipping breakfast won't kill you, and may even have benefits you like :smile:
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, don't eat.
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have a 1.5-2 hour commute to work too. I have a similar schedule, so I eat 6 small meals a day. My eating schedule looks like this:
    Meal 1 @ 6:30 am
    Meal 2 @ 9:00 am
    Meal 3 @ 12:00 pm
    Meal 4 @ 2:00 pm
    Meal 5 @ 4:00 pm
    Meal 6 @ 6:30 pm
  • I am a protein fanatic. Eggs, Full English, Tuna Pate so long as I get my Morning Protein Fix I am better able to go through the day.
    Becoming a breakfast fan is way to go. always then carbs plus tea or coffee. Yoghurt etc.
    I also drink milk after every major exercise episode as it helps training ie when I go stairclimbing.
    I hope you sort it as you should, starving during day is not taking control and hedonistically enjoying your situation.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    fitcrt wrote: »
    Eat a small breakfast - say 200 calories (1 egg & low carb toast) & then have a snack for around 100 calories (yogurt, nuts or jerky).

I agree with this, eat something smaller and then have a snack later when you are hungry. Breakfast is essential to kick start your metabolism and start your body burning those calories!

NO. Your metabolism does not need to be "kick-started." Eat when works for you. Usually, I am hungry at breakfast time (after 7am) so I eat something high in protein (and fat, like eggs). That and fiber will help you feel full longer. But don't feel obligated to eat if you're not hungry!

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    When losing I ate 6x a day. Budget your calories accordingly and make sure you include protein as much as possible to keep you full longer. I usually had breakfast, fruit/fiber snack, lunch, aft snack was usually chocolate (my sin), dinner , and bedtime. PORTION CONTROL and lots of protein, fiber and water (drink a glass before each meal) 8 glasses. Was rarely hungry.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    Don't eat your first meal of the day until you are hungry. Regardless of what time it is. I dutifuly ate my "most important meal of the day" breakfast first thing in the morning for years and I'm fat. I no longer think its wise to eat at prescribed times.

Yep! Lots of us "fat" people on here prescribed to the breakfast being the most importany meal idea. Sure it is! Because it's still called "breakfast" Whatever time you eat it. I put mine off as late as possible. I used to say "I don't eat breakfast." I've since realized that your first meal of the day is called "breakfast" So unless you never eat, you do eat breakfast! lol. So when well intentioned people tell me I should eat breakfast, I say I do! Sometimes it's just at 2:30 pm!
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wake up 5:45 Coffee at 6AM
    Breakfast is usually: 600 cals at 9 AM
    Lunch: 800 cals at 1:30
    Dinner: 600 cals at 6PM
    (2 hour walk between 5 and 7)
    Snack: 300 cals at 9

I'm pretty active so 2300 cals is maintenance. 5'6 130 lbs
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat an early breakfast. Time your meals to when it fits your schedule and your stomach best. Plus, you'll get to sleep more if you eat breakfast around 9:30 at work (when your stomach wants it) instead of getting up and cooking at 6. Everybody wins!
  • Alyjacck
    Alyjacck Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you guys but the longer I prolong breakfast the easier it is to stay on my goals.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Either eat a snack between your meals or don't eat breakfast so early. Some days I split my breakfast in two and eat half at 7:30 just before I leave for work and the rest at my desk at 9am, or I eat the entire thing at my desk at 9. It simply depends on how I'm feeling at 7:30. Listen to your body - it knows what it needs.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I get hungrier when I eat breakfast too, and find the day more difficult in terms of hunger (I tend to eat more). So I skip it now. I dunno, didn't work for me.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You might want to incorporate protein in your breakfast (like eggs) - this will keep you full for hours. Also - incorporate snacks to tide you over before lunch - again, think protein - to keep you full.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    this is why I don't do breakfast. It just sets me up for a day of disaster.