To run or not to run?

Options
Hi, I recently came across a mag which suggested that running can give you big thighs and a badly shaped bottom! But I've seen runners on tv and they certianly don't seem to have this figure- any thoughts out there on this or just a load of rubbish? Thanks!

Replies

• debbiejgray
    Options
    Running has been the only thing that has helped me slim my thighs right down! :)

Long distance running burns fat. Short distance (fast) builds muscle.
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hm...I would like to hear the answer to this because since I started MFP AGAIN 7 weeks ago I have started training for a 5k and running every other day of the week...I won't if this is true! LoL
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Me too, I can tell a huge diff in my thighs. Don't believe that at all
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Run.

Running isn't going to make your muscles so big that your legs look big.
    It takes years to build muscles like that.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    it is rubbish, running have leaner legs and great bottoms. To bulk up thighs is a totally different process and would be hindered by running. Just be careful when you start overuse injury is common if you try and push to hard or long.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Run and before you start wondering it's ok to lift heavy weights.
  • sweetdosia
    sweetdosia Posts: 28
    Options
    I just started running (Couch to 5K on my ipod, Love it!) and I can definitely tell a difference in me thighs. They're starting to slim down and look much better.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Running tones your legs and burns a ton of calories. yesterday i ran a 10 mile race at a steady 9.5-10 minute pace and my HRM had my heart rate averaging at 170 and burning a total of 1141 calories. I can do 90 minutes on my favorite cardio machines at the gym and not get even close to that.

as related to your legs though, i don't think it bulks them, i think it tones them- although i've always had large "soccer player legs" and feel that they are slimming down with the running.
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Run. Whatever magazine it was is "full of rubbish" as you said. Unless you quit your job, train like an olympian full time, and start drinking/eating muscle building diet stuff, you will only see great benefits.
  • book_worm_mommy
    book_worm_mommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think its about if you're a major runner, as a former runner, my calves are big, only because I worked them out. But if you're only running for weight loss, I dont think its a problem. But im not an expert, lol
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ignore the magazine and run.
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have always had "soccer legs" too and now that I am running I have found that my legs tend to be slimmer, and have lost inches all over generally. Still play soccer, but the long distances have improved my cardio so I now can play the 90 mins without coming off the field (except the 5 minute break in between halves of course LOL) So do not listen to that magazine!!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years and I have very nice legs, thank you very much. And I fill out my jeans just fine too.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Hi, I recently came across a mag which suggested that running can give you big thighs and a badly shaped bottom! But I've seen runners on tv and they certianly don't seem to have this figure- any thoughts out there on this or just a load of rubbish? Thanks!
    I don't believe this, however, there is some evidence that running is not great for fat loss:
    http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/free_online_article/training/the_final_nail_in_the_cardio_coffin
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take that too seriously. Magazines are always looking for new ways to talk about the same things. I've heard: Sprinters get bigger quads, long distance runners have a leaner look, etc. etc. Bottom line is that it will depend on how your body naturally responds. Are you NATURALLY muscular?

If you worry about how flat your booty may get, work in squats or that type of exercise to compensate. If you like to run, RUUUUUN ;) Do what you enjoy and you will be fit, exercise that is.
  • ccclay
    ccclay Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks for your comments and insights! I'll stick to the running! :)
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be an actual running thread. Sad face. :(
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running will ruin your knees.
    Running will make your chest sag.
    Running will make your uterus fall out.

All rumors started by people who only wish they could run.
  • antipholous
    antipholous Posts: 116
    Options
    Lol, no. Running short distances (1-3 miles) will build up your quads (and hams and gluts to lesser extent) but not as much as doing squats regularly would do so.

Running long distances (3+ 3-4 times a week) will actually cut down on your muscles eventually. Look at competition long distance runners. They're skin and bones.

The only thing I'd suggest is if you want to maintain muscle mass, or increase muscle mass, while losing weight, keep your weekly mileage under 18 a week, with no run over 3 miles. If this isn't a major concern of yours run to your heart's content. It's good for you, and you'll be burning roughly 140 calories a mile.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    Running will ruin your knees.
    Running will make your chest sag.
    Running will make your uterus fall out.

All rumors started by people who only wish they could run.

Bwahaha. Love this!