Pregnancy Weight Loss Success Stories??

Options
Hi All! I am 12 weeks pregnant and have lost 8 pounds so far since finding out I was expecting. The doctor assured me that it is perfectly fine to lose weight while pregnant, especially since I am considered "obese". As long as I am not cutting back on calories to the extreme. So far all I have really done is cut out any calorie drinks (soda, hot chocolate, fruit juices, etc). It has been nothing but H2o for me! ~ which is great for me and baby!

Just wondering if any of you have some success stories to share about losing weight while pregnant and any hints and tips?? How do you balance getting all of the nutrition you need, but still manage to lose weight? Any tips will be GREATLY appreciate! :)

Thank you!!

Replies

• anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I had lost 12 punds the first trimester, but that was because I was so sick. I don't think I would be worrying about losing any weight while pregnant. Just worry about being healthy. Eating and drinking right and you may find you are losing anyway just because you stopped drinking the sugar drinks or eating higher fat things. Good Luck
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    I've never heard that it's ok to lose weight while pregnant. That seems really strange to me. You should always be gaining while pregnant, even if you only gain tiny bits every trimester, you should always be gaining. My friend was severely sick while pregnant and lost 10 lbs and the Dr. was extremely concerned about her not getting enough nutrients and put her on medicine to help her eat. Don't worry about weight loss while pregnant, worry about the health of you and your child!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    There's a group for you!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230236-pregnancy-2011-may
    It's a great bunch of gals who are pregnant and trying to maintain a healthy pregnancy. Good luck to you! And congratulations :)
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I did lose in the beginning of my pregnancy! I just didn't let being pregnant become an excuse to eat everything in site. I only gained 16 lbs in my pregnancy..had the baby in Dec. and used it as a headstart to get where I want to be. I have lost 53 lbs so far...47 more to go!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that it's ok to lose weight while pregnant. That seems really strange to me. You should always be gaining while pregnant, even if you only gain tiny bits every trimester, you should always be gaining. My friend was severely sick while pregnant and lost 10 lbs and the Dr. was extremely concerned about her not getting enough nutrients and put her on medicine to help her eat. Don't worry about weight loss while pregnant, worry about the health of you and your child!
    This is not true, it is not always okay to gain while pregnant. In fact, women who are considered obese are often advised to gain no more than 10 lbs at the most.

If your friend's doctor was concerned for her, than that is for HER in HER situation. Please do not offer medical advise - the original poster already said she is following her physician's orders. Each situation is different.
  • RFrick
    RFrick Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy!!! I am 21 weeks pregnant and have lost 10 pounds while pregnant. (Right now I have actually gained 6 of those 10 back.) My midwife isn't concerned about weight loss during pregnancy since I started out almost 100 pounds overweight. She just wants me to eat healthy. Most of the time I try to eat around 1500 calories a day in addition to eating back any calories I burned while exercising. I don't stay within that goal near all the time, but it's at least something for me to aim for. :wink: If you're interested there's a great group of pregnant ladies on here. The link is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230236-pregnancy-2011-may?page=2 The ones that are having their babies and leaving this group have started a very nice group for post partum, too.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree on the focus on being healthy. But it sounds like you are doing just that (smart lady)! Giving up sweetened beverages, and switching healthier foods (apples for chips, almonds for candy, etc. etc.), and adding some low-impact movement (walking, pregnancy yoga, swimming) all will allow you to lead a healthier life -- and will most likely result in weight loss and should have no negative impact to your little one. Small changes to your lifestyle, ones that are easy to incorporate and are sustainable -- that's the best way to get it off & keep it off, no matter who you are. Good luck, and congratulations !
  • Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    This is not true, it is not always okay to gain while pregnant. In fact, women who are considered obese are often advised to gain no more than 10 lbs at the most.

If your friend's doctor was concerned for her, than that is for HER in HER situation. Please do not offer medical advise - the original poster already said she is following her physician's orders. Each situation is different.

I get that but I just don't understand how losing weight through 9 months of pregnancy is healthy for you and your baby. I wasn't offering her medical advice (obviously I'm not a doctor and wouldn't do that). I just simply said that I've never heard of losing weight being entirely healthy during pregnancy. She asked advice, that's what she got.
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great advice!! I sincerely appreciate it.

I think it is natural for me to lose weight because I have become much more concious about what I am putting into my body. I am turning into a health freak, which is good! My doctor explained that the baby takes all nutrients that it needs, which is why a lot of pregnant women are anemic, calcium defficient, etc. He said that as long as I am eating enough calories (he advised I stay around 1500/day), I would be in good shape. Considering I was eating anywhere from 2500-3000 pre-pregnancy (which was completely unhealthy), I think that in my case if I lose a little weight (I'm not talking pounds and pounds...) it would be simply from being aware of what I am eating and incorporating some walking. I'm completely excited and want to do what is best for me and my baby. :) I am under the care of a perinitologist, so I don't think anything he tells me would be untrue in my personal situation. - especially since I am 100+ pounds overweight. Again, I appreciate all the advice and link to the pregnancy group. Much appreciated!
  • wimmerfan
    wimmerfan Posts: 24
    Options
    I lost 15 pounds thruout my last pregency i delivered in november and my dr. was fine with my weight loss because i was overweight and the baby was growing fine and was healthy
  • FitBy30_2014
    FitBy30_2014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That gives me hope. I just don't want to "let myself go". I want to be as healthy as I can be. I really wish I would have lost the weight before getting pregnant, but now I am concerned with not gaining too much. :)
  • dearprudence1964
    dearprudence1964 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was 12 weeks pregnant this past Saturday, and I just wanted to let you know that you are doing GREAT!!! I am NOT 100 lbs overweight, but I lost 7 lbs since I found out I was pregnant - and that was without vomiting. My doctor is very comfortable with this and all of my test results have revealed that both baby and I are in tip top shape. Your body will feed the baby first, so as long as you are not feeling faint or run down, both you and the baby are probably getting all the nutrients you need. I plan on continuing to keep my net calorie intake around 1400 per day until my body tells me I need more - and I have the full support of my doctor. Remember - 1400 calories worth of fruit and whole grains and protein are far healthier than 2000 calories worth of junk (which is what a lot of pregnant women are eating). So congrats on making healthy choices! If you want to friend me maybe we can compare diaries (I'm just starting to eat meat and veggies again after a two month aversion to them- I cant wait to get back on track with that).
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that is was okay to lose weight while pregnant. Maybe maintaining your weight, but not losing.

Congrats! Babies are amazing!