Just ran my first 5K!

Options
2»

Replies

• laurende1022
    laurende1022 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!! I am actually starting C25K today and am really nervous. But you're a great inspiration!
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I'll never forget my first 5K. We can do the impossible if we give it our all. Great job.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats and well done!
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!!!!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love the C25K program now on C210K. Ran my first 5K on Thanksgiving at 40.21 not unhappy as my goal was under 45 and now I can beat it and be in the 30's for time. :-)
  • jeangv
    jeangv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Week 2 Day 3 here... My progress is very slow, and my pace is only 4.8 mph on the runs and 3.0 mph on the walks, but I hope to make it. I try to advance to the next workout with every visit to the gym every other day. It has been hard so far. Any advice?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Your big smiles makes it looks like a piece of cake! I also recently finished C25K and had my first race on Thanksgiving Day. Make me feel so proud just to have done it. To top it off, my two boys (11 and 9) ran with me. I hope this is just the beginning of a healthy family tradition.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Great job. Love the finish line pic.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So proud of you! I finished C25K earlier this year and it was the best health commitment and accomplishment of my recent life. I suggest to everyone now! Keep going strong, now you can move to your first 10K. :D
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    congrats on that!!! and good luck on the 10 k program...but hey you could shoot for that sub-30!

Sub-30 is coming! (I hope. ;)) Working on the 10K, but not before another 5K on December 21. Hopefully I can report back with good news then!
  • loratliff
    Options
    jeangv wrote: »
    Week 2 Day 3 here... My progress is very slow, and my pace is only 4.8 mph on the runs and 3.0 mph on the walks, but I hope to make it. I try to advance to the next workout with every visit to the gym every other day. It has been hard so far. Any advice?

Well, assuming that it's been hard but not impossible, I'd say stick with it! It was never easy and it shouldn't be. I was nervous before every workout, thinking "Can I even do this?" But I always made it through! And slow is TOTALLY fine. Go even slower if you need to! Slow is what builds stamina and aerobic resistance so there's no shame in running at the pace your body feels best at.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you I needed this today's-congrats on your first of many races!
  • optionsgod
    optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Congrats ! I definitely want to run a 5K. I just started my weight loss journey about 3 weeks ago, I need to lose about 65 lbs. I would like to run one summer/fall 2015.
  • LexGN
    LexGN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    How long does couch to 5k take? I want to run a 5k but we are hitting our coldest time of year up north, (it really really is cold) so we won't have races around here for a few months, I want to run one in the spring, but want to make sure I have enough time to prepare. My issue is my knees, whenever I start running I am good for about 2 weeks then the pain becomes so intense....but its on my bucket list, and no matter the pain I just have to do at least one race.
  • loratliff
    Options
    Lex, where are you located? I'm in NY and there are races year-round. C25K takes eight weeks to complete, so if you started in January, you'd be ready for a March race.

Regarding the knee pain, I cannot stress enough the importance of getting fitted for good running shoes! They made running SO much more enjoyable and eliminated any aches and pains I was experiencing entirely. They're an investment, but you'll be so much happier if you can swing it!

Happy running, all! I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to my run this evening. (Turning more and more run-crazy by the moment.)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is very encouraging to see. Great job!

Beautiful finish photo. :-)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm hoping for my first 5k in the spring.
  • LexGN
    LexGN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in South Dakota, we've been below zero already this year....I hate it...lol.
    We'll be below zero with wind chills off and on the rest of winter, sometimes even up to 50-60 below. No wind feels like summer today, we might even hit 25 degrees...my kids will want to wear shorts....no lie.

I already wear shoes that are for over suppination. I have extremely high arches and tend to roll out even when standing to keep my heels from hurting. I have platar faciatis and heel spurs as well. I used to be a hairstylist and did not wear appropriate shoes and have mat under my feet in my first salon, and I ruined my feet.
  • loratliff
    Options
    Eek, yes, definitely colder than NY!

Ouch, my mom dealt with PF and found great relief from rolling her feet on a tennis ball. This could probably relieve your arches too.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!