Eating early breakfast. Starving throughout the whole day

Options
13»

Replies

• drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    Don't eat your first meal of the day until you are hungry. Regardless of what time it is. I dutifuly ate my "most important meal of the day" breakfast first thing in the morning for years and I'm fat. I no longer think its wise to eat at prescribed times.

So true. This myth of breakfast has caused me so much angst and pain over the years. I've been so much healthier and happier (and slimmer) since I stopped listening to this type of rubbish.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry, eat. There's nothing wrong with having a snack at 10 AM and another snack in between lunch and dinner. As long as it fits within your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

But eating the early breakfast means I just eat more throughout the day since I'm essentially adding an extra meal. I'm not really even hungry when I wake up.

so don't eat.

I don't eat till noon or so.
    Eating early makes me really hungry all day- so to avoid that- I don't. Considering I'm not hungry either- it's a win win.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - why are you supposed to eat breakfast first thing?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    fitcrt wrote: »
    Eat a small breakfast - say 200 calories (1 egg & low carb toast) & then have a snack for around 100 calories (yogurt, nuts or jerky).

I agree with this, eat something smaller and then have a snack later when you are hungry. Breakfast is essential to kick start your metabolism and start your body burning those calories!

please explain to me at what time at night your metabolism "shuts down"?
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What I do is eat baby raw carrots 2 cups for breakfast , leaking into lunch...., lunch I have a fruit/cottage cheese mix. The carrots I hate but I munch on them as I drive and right before I leave then what I have left I finish with lunch. I drive for an hour one direction. Because I hate carrots I don't want more than what fills me so two cups for half the day is enough. Then I treat myself with a reasonable dinner. If I'm not eating carrots I'm eating celery that is salted/peppered or apple slices. When you eat what you don't particularly like and they are low carb so you can eat a lot it will do the trick. You may want to try making dinner the reward meal. Drink a lot of water too.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Smaller more frequent meals work best for me. Try it.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    fitcrt wrote: »
    Eat a small breakfast - say 200 calories (1 egg & low carb toast) & then have a snack for around 100 calories (yogurt, nuts or jerky).
    See I've tried doing this it's weird.
    a) I'm also not super hungry when I wake up but
    b) as soon as I eat a bit, I feel ravenous. Then I eat a bit more (say another slice of toast). Soon it ends up being a "big" breakfast.

I agree though - if you aren't hungry, don't eat until you are, or have a small breakfast. I'm sure for most people that works perfectly!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't eat when I first wake up. Morning workout first. Then big protein-filled, but balanced breakfast.
  • Kimmiebatchy
    Kimmiebatchy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Someone reported my comment as abusive! I'm sorry if it offended anyone however I personally can't see how it was abusive in anyway??
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Someone reported my comment as abusive! I'm sorry if it offended anyone however I personally can't see how it was abusive in anyway??

Kimmie, I went back to your initial comment, and I think you got flagged, because you commented that breakfast is essential to kickstart one's metabolism, which hasn't been scientifically been proven. I may be wrong.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    Don't eat your first meal of the day until you are hungry. Regardless of what time it is. I dutifuly ate my "most important meal of the day" breakfast first thing in the morning for years and I'm fat. I no longer think its wise to eat at prescribed times.

Yep! Lots of us "fat" people on here prescribed to the breakfast being the most importany meal idea. Sure it is! Because it's still called "breakfast" Whatever time you eat it. I put mine off as late as possible. I used to say "I don't eat breakfast." I've since realized that your first meal of the day is called "breakfast" So unless you never eat, you do eat breakfast! lol. So when well intentioned people tell me I should eat breakfast, I say I do! Sometimes it's just at 2:30 pm!

I like this. I've also heard "I eat breakfast. I just eat it later and call it lunch"

• Kimmiebatchy
    Options

Kimmie, I went back to your initial comment, and I think you got flagged, because you commented that breakfast is essential to kickstart one's metabolism, which hasn't been scientifically been proven. I may be wrong.

Fair enough, still don't see how having an opinion is abusive! Never mind everyone can disagree, I don't mind but I will tell you that when I started eating breakfast closer to when I woke up rather than later in the morning which I used to do, I started to lose weight just by one small change, which by the way I was directed to do by my friend who is a dietician! Anyway, do whatever you think is best for you!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I found, that if I eat earlier in the day, I'm hungrier throughout, so I hold off until 9:30-10. There is no set rule, do what works for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Fair enough, still don't see how having an opinion is abusive! Never mind everyone can disagree, I don't mind but I will tell you that when I started eating breakfast closer to when I woke up rather than later in the morning which I used to do, I started to lose weight just by one small change, which by the way I was directed to do by my friend who is a dietician! Anyway, do whatever you think is best for you!

People completely abuse the 'flag' feature. Don't take it personally. Apparently if you don't agree with them, you're offensive.

(waiting for someone to flag my post)

OP, I agree with the others... Eat when you're hungry. I'm up anywhere from 4am to 7am but only have breakfast when I actually get hungry (today I was up at 5.45am, just finishing now and it's 7.25am). Although yeah, on days when I'm up starving at 5am, it's harder to stay under my calorie goal, lol.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I work full time, in grad school, AND commute 1.5 hours a day - so I can completely relate to the "no time to eat" thing. I'll usually have a piece of fruit on the train (something easy to carry, like a banana), then when I get to work I'll have yogurt or string cheese to supplement. That way I'm not raging and starving by the time it hits 11am. For me, it's just easier to break everything down into smaller meals throughout the day, and it also works because I'm one of those people that don't do well exercising on a full stomach (I feel sick when that happens) - something small every few hours works well.

Different strokes, different folks. :) Good luck - you'll find what's best.
  • Kimmiebatchy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

People completely abuse the 'flag' feature. Don't take it personally. Apparently if you don't agree with them, you're offensive.

(waiting for someone to flag my post)

OP, I agree with the others... Eat when you're hungry. I'm up anywhere from 4am to 7am but only have breakfast when I actually get hungry (today I was up at 5.45am, just finishing now and it's 7.25am). Although yeah, on days when I'm up starving at 5am, it's harder to stay under my calorie goal, lol.

FrancI27, ... I can't believe you actually did get flagged lol! I really don't care what others do, I say do what feels right for yourself, I have never been a breakfast lover so all the advice on hear should be music to my ears, only that I have been told different by health professionals, and this is now what I do and eating shortly after waking works for me weight wise.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter when you eat, only how many calories. However i eat breakfast everymorning at 7, because i friggin love breakfast food