Vegetarians/vegans eating at least 100g of protein per day—show me your diaries

Yes, I know, this has probably been asked hundreds of times but I'll add another thread to that...

I'm not vegetarian but since focusing on my protein intake, I've been eating meat (and/or fish) almost every day and I don't like it. I'd like to go back to having meat about once or twice per week but I never seem to be able to hit my minimum of 100g (or actually 114g) of protein if I don't eat meat. I'm also a picky eater with some allergies so that doesn't make it easier. I've done my research on vegetarian sources but I don't seem to be able to combine them in a way that gives me enough protein for the day so I'm looking for vegetarians/vegans with open diaries who eat at least 100g of protein per day for inspiration.

Thanks!

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Whey protein drinks. Some are low calorie. ie.. 120 calories for 17-20g of protien
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    eggs, nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, broccoli, spinach, tofu, lentils chick peas,
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    try greek yogurt or cottage cheese, especially lowfat varities. Egg whites too.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    I struggle hitting my protein levels. I use a vegan protein powder in my smoothies to help me get a good start. I try to make sure I have beans or lentils at both lunch and dinner.

One of my favourite meals is black bean wrap. Between the beans, tortilla wrap, cheese and sour cream, and any vegetables you want to add, I get a good amount of protein.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    The above all sound good. Since you are fine with eating animals the whey or casein is a simple option but far from free at about a $1 a serving. I love cottage cheese but it has more sugar than whey. Not doing carbs limit my options.
  • rhody_
    rhody_ Posts: 18 Member
    Your post is seriously my life. My partner is vegan and I've never identified as vegetarian or anything of the sort, but I've never really liked meat. I was doing fairly well for a few weeks eating meats and I saw the improvement in my weight, but it's hard to force myself to make it and eat it. :/ I just started eating tofu and making a general tso's tofu stir-fry that I'm sort of in love with, but I'm looking for some protein adders as well!
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    I focus on high protein/low calorie foods; a regular day is: 5.3 oz fat free greek yogurt (14-16 g protein), Kashi golean crunch (13 g protein), cheese snack (6-7 g protein), homemade lunch with beans/lentils (around 20 g protein), protein shake (20 g protein), and something with tofu/tempeh/veggie burgers at dinner. End up around 100 grams of protein.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Thanks, 19wilson88! I can't believe your greek yogurt has that much protein o.O I only get about 9g in 150g of yogurt, which should be 5.3oz. Maybe I should look around and compare different ones... Unfortunately, meat replacement products are really expensive here but thanks for the inspiration that people actually manage to get to 100g without meat :D
    Rhody, I actually do like meat. I just don't wanna eat that much of it.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    I'm vegetarian, trying to go vegan; have a look at my diary if you want.

Check out seitan, tonnes of protein in that and you can make it at home easily.

Tempeh and tofu are other good choices. Beans and sprouts are pretty good, but you have to eat a lot to get a meaningful amount of protein.

Protein shakes are extremely helpful.
  • jennyhoon
    jennyhoon Posts: 138 Member
    I am vegan for a week now. I would like to add vegan friends,if any of you willing to add me for exchanging ideas and food diaries.

I take a lot of bananas for protein. My day meals are 100% raw foods
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Try Nutrasumma Pea Protein powder. Dairy/Gluten/Soy/GMO free. I am not vegan/vegetarian by any means. I just don't like eating animal products for every meal and I have a dairy allergy. I usually make waffles, pancakes, or frozen blended shakes with it. :smiley:
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    edited December 2014
    Its vegan friendly.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm a vegetarian and average 120g of protein per day. Feel free to look at my diary (although this last week is NOT representative of how I usually eat!) or send me a FR. I use protein powder and eat protein bars, but I also eat a lot of eggs, greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    I am vegan and have just started LCHF (Low Carb Healthy Fat) I eat almonds, tofu, Linda Macartney's vegemince and sausages, almond milk and pea protein to get my protein intake. (Silken tofu can be added to smoothies to make them creamier if you don't like powder or tofu.)
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    eggs, nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, broccoli, spinach, tofu, lentils chick peas,
    You can put most of these in a delicious salad with couscous. I eat it almost every day! I'm not making my protein goals either but I am getting there. That's why I'm on this forum. :P

• shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    jennyhoon wrote: »
    I am vegan for a week now. I would like to add vegan friends,if any of you willing to add me for exchanging ideas and food diaries.

I take a lot of bananas for protein. My day meals are 100% raw foods

but the average banana has only 1 gr of protein...

• theownley
    theownley Posts: 6 Member
    Add me :) my diary code is fit. It is a challenge for me to so I am also open to suggestions!
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    My diary is open. No great secret though, I supplement with soy protein isolate. I just can't get there otherwise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Thanks, 19wilson88! I can't believe your greek yogurt has that much protein o.O I only get about 9g in 150g of yogurt, which should be 5.3oz. Maybe I should look around and compare different ones... Unfortunately, meat replacement products are really expensive here but thanks for the inspiration that people actually manage to get to 100g without meat :D
    Rhody, I actually do like meat. I just don't wanna eat that much of it.
    Fage 0% greek yoghurt is 10 grams protein per 100g and only 54 calories, it's the highest I've found for the lowest calories.
    Add in a tin of beans with salad for lunch. Cashew nut stir fry and chick pea burger for dinner.
    And snack on a few boiled eggs.
  • workhardtogethard
    workhardtogethard Posts: 49 Member
    Here's my day yesterday. (Realizing now that it's totally lacking in greens :s .) 85g isn't the 100+ you're looking for, but if your calorie allowance is higher it wouldn't take much to reach that goal. And I'm sure if I replaced the calorie-laden sugary baked beans with plain beans, that'd help the macros. Too yummy to give up, though!

hc8jm13kuy07.png