Cardio vs Weights or both

Options
jmw530
jmw530 Posts: 6 Member
Hi All,

Just started back on MFP. I've lost 12 pounds this month wtih just doing cardio exercise. My brother told me I need to lift weights too otherwise the cardio is just a waste of time. Should I do cardio and weights in the same workout or alternate days. Right now I work out every other day right now...about 45-1h of cardio. Can anyone suggest a exercise routine or website for women?

Replies

• gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    go to bodybuilding.com. you can go to their transformation of the week and see the work-outs that some of the women there use to get an idea of what a good work-out routine looks like!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I switch it out. But sometimes i do both but not at the same time. That screams ouch for me lol
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Do this:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

yes, it looks like it's for guys, but girls should lift the same way: heavy! This is a clip of one of their users:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MdkPQg6f0
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I like workouts that combine both - either an exercise class like body pump or a total body workout, or a dvd like 30 day shred is a great way to start b/c it works a variety of muscles and mixes it up with cardio
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    Try a group fitness class like cross fit or another type of class that incorporates muscle work. Then, you get a great full body workout and fat burn!
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I love cardio which is how i burn most of my calories to start out but ive also found that if i want to tone as well and loose weight i need to incorporate the weights as well plus doing weights burns calories longer than the cardio. I try not to do weights and cardio on the same day because i get burned out really fast and find that i dont give one or the other as much focus as i should so i do cardio mon wens and fri and the other days i do weights
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    doing just cardio will cause your body to burn muscle as fuel. You need strength training to grow or retain your muscles while losing weight.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    do both.
    You can't achieve a good physique without weight training.
    It can be done without cardio but really takes some work.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    do both.
    You can't achieve a good physique without weight training.
    It can be done without cardio but really takes some work.
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Strength training will build muscle. When muscle is at rest it works to burn fat - so the more muscle you build, the more quickly you'll become a fat-burning machine! :)
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do Both!
    My husband set up our strength training based on information that he got on bodybuilder.com (sounds a little scary but there is a section for women that are just wanting to tone) We do that 3 days a week. One day arms and back the next legs and abs. It is working great!
    We also do Cardio 4 times a week using a active metabolic training weight management program.
    When we do both Cardio and strength it takes us about 2 hours.
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    go to bodybuilding.com. you can go to their transformation of the week and see the work-outs that some of the women there use to get an idea of what a good work-out routine looks like!
    YEP YEP YEP!!
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You're going to want to do both. In terms of if you do them both in the same workout period, it really does come down to preference. When I started out last year, I was strength training 3 days a week and doing cardio on the other 3 days, because you really need to let your muscles rest between strength training sessions (unless you are only working one muscle group per session).

Now, I do cardio of some type nearly everyday but on the days I do strength training, I start out with a full body circuit, doing 3-4 supersets (1 arm exercise, 1 leg exercise for 12 reps 3 sets).
    Strength training is super important for women, so don't fall into the trap of doing cardio until you are in good enough shape to do weights. Weight training (challenging not fluff) will kick your results into overdrive and makes your cardio so much more effective! Plus, women with muscle are SEXY! That tone is not from cardio, that tone is from resistance! :)
    If you are looking for examples of workouts, I would recommend Rachel Cosgrove's 'Women's Body Breakthrough' or the "Women's Health Big book of Exercises' both of those helped me start to plan out my own plans.

Best of luck!!! :smile: