Low Cal Breakfast cereal - at last Ive found one!

Options
I am a bugger for putting as many cornflakes / weetabix into the bowl with a mug of hot milk and Canderel spoonful as I can. I was also having this as a snack or supper, at 350 calories it soon messes up your calorie intake and may take you over. Ive been looking for ages for a low cal breakfast that I like.

Whilst researching 'power foods' I realised I had what I thought was Oatmeal in my cupboard, but it was Porridge oats, with wheat bran and bran and when looking for some more I decided that oats were the way forward.

At about 165 kcal per 50grams (not much, Im a pig I should know), but this amt is OK. Grate some fruit in or cut up grapes, banana etc and use Canderel Spoonful if your a sweety like me (or a cheeky squirt of honey).

This is also kind of a power meal / pre work out meal especially if you put dried apricots in it - trust me if you are like me, I am a little power ranger after dried apricots or apricot yogurt.

If you think this wont fill you up, snack on fruit till your next meal which should be only 3 hrs later any way.

What d'ya reckon peeps?:laugh:

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is the breakfast of champions. i'd rather put berries on mine - bigger value than dried fruit and sweetens it up more.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yep - it's lovely. I like it with raspberries and canderel, or mango. I also like Alpen muesli with chopped fruit and mixed with low fat yoghurt (1/2 fruit, 1/2 naturel). Very nice and very filling :bigsmile:
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    oatmeal is the breakfast of champions. i'd rather put berries on mine - bigger value than dried fruit and sweetens it up more.

Yes sorry forgot the blueberries I have developed a taste for......
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I kind of rely on my bran flakes for a good portion of my daily iron intake. Not sure how I'd replace that easily.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    Try "Holy Crap" yes honestly that's the name. http://holycrap.ca/ best I have ever seen - although any breakfast cereal will always put me over so I avoid them like the plague.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Try "Holy Crap" yes honestly that's the name. http://holycrap.ca/ best I have ever seen - although any breakfast cereal will always put me over so I avoid them like the plague.

:laugh:

if you're brave, google "fanny jam" - it exists in Peru!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive been having porridge the last few days too. An oats-so-simple sachet (97 cals) made with water and a chopped up small banana (80-ish cals).
    The banana mushes when you microwave it and adds some sweetness. i also have salt in it, cos i LOVE salt in porridge (scottish roots) and a bit of splenda or sugar, and maybe 50 or 60ml of skimmed or semi milk on top

seems to keep me going for longer than most of the other cereals ive tried for the calories :)
  • JulesGC
    JulesGC Posts: 9
    Options
    I love porrage oats! You can make it with boiling hot water and sweetener or sugar just as well. No need for a hob, cooker or microwave! Brilliant when camping! :)
  • beckyb64
    beckyb64 Posts: 11
    Options
    I love porridge oats too! I don't heat them up (don't like the gooey texture) & chop a small banana on the top.

Another tip = I always used to just fill my bowl up without thinking, then I bought a small plastic container to easily measure the right amount of porridge so I never go over.
  • fitgreg
    fitgreg Posts: 1
    Options
    ive been having porridge the last few days too. An oats-so-simple sachet (97 cals) made with water and a chopped up small banana (80-ish cals).

I've tried oats so simple with water before but it exploded all over the microwave, seems like too much effort to clean up every time, how long do you do it for?
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Guess who ate too many oats yesterday lol (meeeeeeeeeeee) :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have porrige a few times a week. i make it with milk(for the calcium) and add a bit of honey. Yum and keeps me full usually till lunch
  • jazgal
    jazgal Posts: 122
    Options
    I do fiber one original .. has lots of fiber .... best I have found .... this morning I added stawberries and ground flaxseed and almond breeze milk