Grocery Shopping - Meal Ideas

Options
Going grocery shopping here shortly.

Looking for some suggestions for easy (I'm definitely not a gourmet chef) and delicious meal/snack ideas/recipes.

I really want to try fish (super healthy) but I HATE it and have no idea how to cook it. I would love a fish recipe that disguises the fish-y flavor.

I love spicy foods and dislike plain foods (nothing sounds less appealing than a plain, salted, grilled chicken breast).

I would love meals/recipes that take minimal preparation work (although I don't mind how long it takes to cook - I even have a crock pot). I'm also looking for ideas that are high in protein, high in whole grains (good carbohydrates), either low in fat or have a healthy type of fat (mmm avocados), and nutrient rich.

Breakfast and lunch are usually fairly easy for me because my boyfriend isn't around but I struggle with ideas for dinner that are exciting and delicious so my boyfriend can eat them too! Gotta say, I'm getting pretty tired of turkey sandwiches...

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jonicha26
    Jonicha26 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This has become my turkey sandwich alternative...

1 Wheat Torilla
    Turkey
    Spinach
    Laughing Cow Cheese
    (some spices/herbs if you want)

super easy... I just toast the tortilla in a frying pan and set it aside. Then I put the spinach in the pan with some Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning and let it wilt. Then I put in the turkey with the cheese wedge (also garlic and herb) and kinda mix those things together and let the cheese melt. Then I put it in the tortilla! It's sort of a wrap/quesadilla... but it's delicious and easy!
    '
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    One of the p90x recipes is amazing... I tried it today... you take a 4oz chicken breast and place it in a baking dish. Drizzle it with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and 2 Tbsp lemon juice, sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, and paprika and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. WAY better than a plain chicken breast. Hope that helps some! :)
  • ilovecisco22
    Options
    you should buy the im hungry girl book its great
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Chicken and rice, Turkey bugers, and most any fish are low in calories. Grab fresh veggies and fruit. I like bran flakes and skim milk. Oats are delicious and add a tbsp of brown sugar.

Just a few thoughts. It will be great viewing what others write.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Make Manwich, I had it the other day, and it's surprisingly not that bad for you. Quick and easy.
  • laura725
    laura725 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to a restaurant last week for lunch and had a portobella mushroom sandwich - it was awesome! I am going to re-create at home this week - grilled portobella mushroom caps, roasted red peppers, spinach, slice of provolone on a whole wheat bun.
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS put an apple, a piece of string cheese, and a protein bar in my purse during the week. That way, I don't find myself ordering chinese for lunch with coworkers b/c I am famished. My little cooler sits right by my desk so I can easily reach in and grab cut up fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc. I can honestly say I am never hungry anymore.

Another thing I do (which I am doing tonight) is to grill about 10 chicken breasts. My husband like to slice and chop the extras for salads, to put on tortillas, to add low fat cream of mushroom soup to and put on mashed potatoes, etc.

Oh, and I hate cereal and yogurt - make me gag :) I make a ton of healthy breakfast burritos and freeze them. They are about 200 calories. I use egg whites, 2%milk shredded cheese, spinach and whatever else I happen to have. I eat them with salsa and a little sour cream. It is nice to make about 12 at once so they are ready to go in the freezer.
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    OH MY GOSH
  • BeckyKSmith
    Options
    OH MY GOSH that sounds awesome! I am soooo making that this week!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    MelHoneyRocks Posts: 223
    Options
    Fish Tacos..
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fiery-Fish-Tacos-with-Crunchy-Corn-Salsa/Detail.aspx

Grilled stuffed portabellas
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-stuffed-portobello-mushrooms-10000000226538/

Dont let cooking intimidate you, its just a matter of following directions.
    Good Luck!
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    My kids ask for this one...

1lb ground turkey
    green onion (we like alot, add to your preference)
    1/2 c chopped mushroom
    Mrs. Dash (any flavor, season to taste, my family likes lots of flavor, I use rotissere chicken or savory usually)

Mix ingredients in bowl, form patties and cook over med heat in pan lightly coated in olive oil. Cook on each side for about 10 mins or until juice runs clear. I serve mine on Thomas Everything Bagel Thins with 1 slice of thin swiss cheese. Overall calories hoovered at the 400 mark and I make these very big and thick. Husband likes worchester on his. I can't say for sure on exact measurements, I just kinda wing it and throw things together.

Not sure if that is a big help since I don't have exact measurements or nurtitional break down. :tongue:
  • breezy2413
    breezy2413 Posts: 8
    Options
    I found a great cook book called the super savers cookbook. i have 3 kids and a husband so we needed something to help budget. a lot of the idea's are slow cooker and casseroles (good for those of us who suck at cooking or have little time for it) but they also had a huge amount of on the go and snack suggestions.

I have a hard time buying fresh veggies and such because they go bad quickly, and still have to be prepared. BUT when I was in the army, I would make one large tupperware container for the week for lunch. it was:
    Blueberries
    Strawberries
    Raspberries.
    1/8 cup of sugar

when i say big container, i mean big. I'd slice the strawberries, and throw in the blueberries and raspberries. I'd throw some sugar on top for a little sweetness, but also because it would make it last a little longer. It was AWESOME for lunch or a snack, and affordable. not to mention it would keep you ummmm "regulated" :)
  • alb_photog
    alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For dinner tonight I'm having grilled chicken over a spinach salad, consisting of spinach, sliced strawberries, almonds, gorgonzola cheese, drizzled with poppyseed dressing.

I also like this recipe.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/227681-low-cal-delicious-lime-pork-rice

As for fish, you could try this recipe-

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-orange-glazed-salmon-10000001597005/
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your cooking style sounds like mine!

How about burrito bowls- the basics are dull, but once you have a base of brown rice and lettuce, toppings take it further! Extra spicy salsa, fat free Greek yogurt, some strongly flavored cheese (I use full-fat in smaller amounts because the flavor is so much better!) Plus chicken/lean steak/fish (<- I never know what to do with fish, but white like tilapia is mild tasting and easy to cook- add lemon juice and wedges + black pepper, wrap in foil and bake for 15 mins or so, check it flakes easily to see if it's done).

Rice bowls can be really versatile with the basics: grains (can be couscous, quiona, anything goes!), protein, veg and a sauce. Then it gets interesting with the extras. Sushi style with shrimp (I buy precooked/frozen), edemame, crushed nori, wasabi and soy sauce. Or a Mediterranean one with feta cheese, hummus and falafel. Or chicken with curried yogurt-based sauce, chickpeas and grapes. Or chicken skewars (marinade in lemon, oregano, etc) with tzatziki, fresh tomatoes.

My current favorite is 1/2 cup brown rice mixed with a ton of veg I roast and eat through the week (eggplant, , zuchinni, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, brussel sprouts- anything goes, just spray lightly with oil and season, then roast for 30 mins or so..asparagus and mushrooms take less time) then top with spicy red pepper hummus, alfalfa sprouts and crumbled feta or goats cheese.
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I buy the mccormicks fajita seasoning, a variety of bell pepper colors, an onion, and chicken! Follow the instructions on the packet, I add a TON more bell peppers and onion and don't use a whole season packet. Easy fajitas and you can throw it on an 80 or 100 calorie whole grain tortilla shell (La Tortilla Factory - Smart & Delicious Soft Wraps Multigrain W/ Extra Virgin Olive Oil) OR throw it on a salad and cut out the tortilla calories! Add whatever toppings you want! Delicious and pretty low in calories!
  • Pollux
    Pollux Posts: 42
    Options
    These all sound great. Thanks!
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    best spicy food recipe I have thats WICKEd easy...
    Chicken Taco Crockpot Chili... yum yum yum I make it ALL the time.

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 10 • Size: 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 203.7 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carb: 33.3 g • Fiber: 10.0 g • Protein: 16.9 g

1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    10 oz package frozen corn kernels
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 packet taco seasoning
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tbsp chili powder

24 oz (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
    chili peppers, chopped (optional)

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Just combine all of it in the crockpot and letit sit for a few hours... they you ca pour it over rice or tortillas...or eat it plain with some shredded cheese or sour cream on top...SO good and wicked filling!!
  • Blakemore1229
    Options
    bump for later really good ones on here
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Try a mild fish, like tilapia. Put it on a large piece of foil, salt and pepper, place a couple of pieces of sliced onion and sliced lemon on top. Tent the foil, closing on all sides. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. So very good. Make a little salsa or sauce for the top. Not fishy, but a great flavor, and very low cal.
  • beckyb64
    beckyb64 Posts: 11
    Options
    Linghams Chilli Sauce = sweetly spicy condiment which improves EVERY meal. Only 25cals for a reasonable amount (you don't need much!)