Runners, cyclists, triathletes...

Options
Celo24
Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
You ALL need to check out this website: http://www.roadid.com/Common/Products.aspx

I do not work for that company nor am I trying to make any money so please don't delete this thread. I think it is VERY important that we all have a Road ID (or something similar) when we are training and/or racing. There are way too many knucklehead drivers out there who don't pay attention to runners or cyclists on the roads and it is very easy for something bad to happen. I am buying my wife one for Mother's Day (and yes, she is getting other stuff too...I'm not THAT unromantic).

Just want to try to look out for all my fellow athletes out there!! :happy:

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    bump
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    We just had a cyclist killed by a hit-and-run driver over the weekend. He was riding on a neighborhood street - not even busy. So sad... :(
  • mom2golfers
    Options
    Our family always pushes the wearing of helmets, and inside each of our helmets is a large address label with our information. Have used this for 22 years. Works just as well...
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice really. Take some form of ID (dog tags), a cell phone and change when you go out and exercise.

You never know when something bad (weather,accident, injury) can happen and derail you.

This can be lifesaving advice!

Thanks for posting!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wendywilliford
    Options
    I have a Road ID and I love it...hope I never need it though. I bought one for my daughter a few months ago because she started running some too and is allergic to insect stings (I had that engraved on her bracelet).

They have all sorts of designs and colors. I highly recommend a Road ID!!!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I wear my Road ID every day!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Mind reading again Celo... I just told hubby yesterday I needed to get one of these. I have zipper pocket in most of my clothes for my ID and insurance card, (I would NEVER run without them) but these seem so convenient. Not everything has a pocket...
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Our family always pushes the wearing of helmets, and inside each of our helmets is a large address label with our information. Have used this for 22 years. Works just as well...

It's really sick to this about this, but.... helmets have been known to fly off when hit by a car...shoes have been known to fly off when hit by a car. My RoadID is on my wrist...also have one for my ankle. I thought about getting the one for the shoe and then thought about my shoe flying off and still not having an ID on my body. I have a photo copy of my drivers licence and med card in my bike bag, but what if I'm separated from my bike? Road ID is really the only way to go. It doesn't have to be that brand. Regular old dog tags work great too.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!

It is so important to carry some sort of id on you when you are out exercising, especially if you are alone.

I never leave home without mine.

Karen
  • Celo24
    Options
    Just ordered mine, my wife's and my sister-in-law's tonight. I feel a little better knowing we'll have these.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    These are pretty cool. Will probably get one.
  • Celo24
    Options
    Just got an e-mail from the Road ID people. They sent me a coupon code to share with whoever I wanted. Use this ID - ThanksMarcelo5300550 - and you'll save $1. I know it's not a huge discount, but it's better than nothing. Please order one of these or get some dog tags or do SOMETHING. It's important for us all to be safe out there!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    I agree, I bought one of these for when I bike too. I hope I never had to use it but its one of the things you'd rather have and not need than need and not have.

I found this code when I bought mine that will save anybody $2 instead of the $1 off codes going around the web like candy.

ARR5783 Enter it in when you're paying and you'll see $2 off your total.
  • waterbabeAD
    waterbabeAD Posts: 73
    Options
    Interesting and practical idea but I think I'd feel like a dog or a cat with this. I always carry my regular ID and my insurance card in my shortsback pocket along with my cheap small pocket size phone. If I am involved in an accident I will just want the best possible treatment and I know I increase the chances of that significantly if the emergency services can get my medical details (and cover) ASAP.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    My husband has one, I need to get one too since I wear contacts and have a latex allergy, suffer from migraines and have IBS.

When I race I write all my info on the back of my bib, including what, if any meds I have taken in the last 24 hours, since some of the meds I take don't react well with other drugs.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Is there some kind of UK version of this? Or will they ship to UK?