Night Shift

Options
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips on eating habits and an exercise routine while working night shift? I am having a hard time trying to find a balance!!!

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Meal prep and pre log everything. I meal prep every 3-4 days and log everything for that day and the days to come. As for exercise, if my shift is slow (usually my 16 hour shifts are), I do bodyweight exercises that i find on google at least once or twice every hour. But usually I make the time to go to the gym for an hour or two. You'll find your balance
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As stated above, I take advantage of slow work nights and will go outside to walk/jog for 20-30 mins. Sometimes longer if it's the weekend or a holiday. I plan ahead and make my meals for work. In the past I would leave my wallet at home to resist the tempation of hitting up a 24hr fast food joint. My workplace has a somewhat relaxed dress code. On planned gym days I will go into work already dressed up to workout so when I get off work in the mornings I head straight to the gym. Above all else I make sure I get my sleep. When I lack sleep I over eat and don't bother working out since I am too tired.
  • cranden
    cranden Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I workout right when I wake in the afternoon, before dinner. Also I try to minimize my calorie intake on my 0300 meals. I don't know what you guys do but I never have time to exercise at work! Lucky ducks! The extra steps do show on my fitbit though!
  • gelbell
    gelbell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone one for the tips! I can't workout during my shift but i'll try to do the food prep and working right when I wake up!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight working 12 hour nights shifts. I prelog and close out my diary before I leave for work. I take a lunch and a dinner and a couple of snacks. The hardest day is my first day back at work for the week, because I'm up for almost 24 hours, and it can be hard to spread out the calories.
  • kitsteroo
    kitsteroo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work nights but unlike everyone who has posted so far I usually only do 8 hours. I just set a plan for myself. I always make sure to get up by 8 pm, and from there I eat breakfast, pack my lunch and all my snacks, and log it all. At 9, I workout. Walking, bike, strength, whatever. Then at 10 I shower and get ready to go in. It all kind of depends on you and your schedule but I've been at it for 3 weeks and I've lost 7 pounds so far so it is possible! I've found that low calorie snacks, and lots of them, have helped me. Nights are slow sometimes and I would pass the time by eating. Instead of forcing myself to change behavior (I'm just a grazer, no way around it) I changed my snacks. Carrots and fruit and green pepper slices instead of cookies and donuts and candy. Don't get me wrong, I hit that candy now and then but mostly I'm with the carrots. Just look at your work behavior, look at your eating patterns and your nightly routine and find where you can slip in changes.
  • cristacoyote
    cristacoyote Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Night shift and weight gain is always a topic at the medical conferences my department holds. There is a direct correlation between working nights and weight gain. So congrats to all of you who have lost weight while working nights!! I agree with Lacroyx, sleep is the most important. Try to stay within calories and keep hydrated. I work long shifts (13 hrs) so Im usually scrambling for time. Premaking meals (even if it is just setting out the canned soup I'm going to take) helps with time and allows me to get a workout in.
  • anneuhbanana
    anneuhbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish there was an easy answer... working nights and training to maintain a healthy lifestyle is so hard for me. Like others said meal planning seems to be one of the biggest steps because it is so easy to go get fastfood, I sometimes leave my money in the car too. I always pack a gym bag and bring it with me to go after work because I can never wake up earlier before work. Though going after takes some serious motivation and dedication, I try to mostly go on my nights off(plus the gym is empty!). What I really wish is that other co-workers were more motivational, and would stop ordering pizza at night!
  • ArmedNurseNC
    ArmedNurseNC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't start this post but thank everyone for their input. I work 12 hour nights approx. 4.5 nights a week (one week 4 one week 5) and I have a hard time figuring out when to eat(I know when I'm hungry right? what's that?) I am finding that the best thing for me is to prep meals ahead of time but I have a hard time getting exercise and I'm finding that not being active is aging my body exponentially :s I would appreciate any meal ideas (I get bored with my own some times) and what do you do for exercise? I have a horse I ride 2 - 3 times a week but I need something a little more structured. Thanks