So, once you meet your goal, how do you maintain?

Options
sarahfadamitan
sarahfadamitan Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
I know this might be common sense to most people, but weight loss can be a little overwhelming for me at times. Sometimes the most basic things can make me anxious. My main concern is regaining the weight or getting too skinny after I've reached my goal. What are some tips on how to maintain the weight as far as calorie counting and exercising is concerned?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't do anything during my loss that I wasn't going to do when I got to my goal weight. That made it easy. I just did the same thing, but got to eat more.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    This has always been the biggest challenge for me. I don't plan to make any changes to my eating or exercise once I hit goal.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You should be worried. Anyone losing weight should worry about this, since the statistics show that most of us will not maintain it. I have yet to master it. Here I am, losing the same 25-30 lbs I've lost several times before.
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, as such. Worry is a negative emotion that serves no useful purpose so toss it out and just get on with it :) You'll be much better for it!

Just take it step by step.
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Keep counting, keep adjusting.

I've actually found a strange balance by continuing to eat at a deficit (-500 calories), but allowing myself to cheat. So some days are -500, other days, I binge and I'm way over, but they balance out.

That doesn't work for everyone, but I suggest you check out the forum for maintaining weight - there have been many, many conversations for this topic.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've put some thought into it, since I do know the statistics about regaining. The first advantage we here at MFP have is that we LOG our food intake. Whether or not you are under, over, or at daily calorie goal, you are MINDFUL of what you're eating. I think that in itself is key. I plan on continuing daily logging of food and exercise to always be mindful.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    I also am continuing to eat at a deficit on normal, routine days, which means I don't have to stress too much about eating too much on special celebrations and holiday breaks. That said, I exercise about 600+ calories a day, so even on a "losing" day I have 1800 cals to play with.
    I have managed to maintain my weight for a year and I am currently only 1 lb over my target weight. Luckily I haven't got too many "occasions" before Christmas so I hope that will be gone.
    If I eat regularly on maintenance calories it gives me no leeway for relaxed days.
    27681614.png
  • sarahfadamitan
    sarahfadamitan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks a million for your feedback. Glad to have such helpful folks. Everything makes sense. Thanks again!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You eat just slightly more than you do to lose weight...that's pretty much it. You simply have to understand that weight control is about energy balance...nothing more, nothing less.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I suggest reading the Maintaining forum.