Hungry Girl??

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
I am not a fan of Hungry Girl (too many processed ingredients) but I saw her make 2 things that I would like to know if anyone has made them and how they turned out:

Brownie muffins: using 1 box cake mix and a can of pumpkin, mix and put into cupcake papers and bake.
Butternut Squash Fries: cut butternut squash into fry shapes and bake.

I would like to try both of these and wanted to know how they turned out if you have made them. Thanks!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I have a dented can of pumpkin that I purchased on sale and I also have a box of muffin mix.... GREAT IDEA!!!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I caught an episode of her show for the first time this weekend. The brownie muffins looked so good, I went out and bought a box of devil's food cake mix and some canned pumpkin. I plan on making them tonight. They looked delicious!
  • alibslim
    alibslim Posts: 16
    Options
    I grew up eating butternut fries! They are awesome!!!! I am a picky eater and I definitly don't like veggies, BUT I love these fries. I haven't had them in forever. But I'm telling you, they are GREAT!!
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I tried the squash fries, they were too soft for me... I like crispy! ;)

As far as the cake mix with the pumpkin, have not tried that, but I have tried her recipe of cake mix with a can (12oz) of diet soda, and that is Delicious! :)
  • jwinegeart
    jwinegeart Posts: 5
    Options
    I haven't made the regular brownies but I made the fudge brownie (thats not the name but I don't remember what she called them) for Easter. It was brownie mix, pumpkin, and you layered that with marshmallow. It was good. You could not taste the pumpkin which I was suprised about. People didn't even know it was "diet" food.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    my friend makes the pumkin cake one a lot and she says it's pretty awesome
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    THE FRIES I'VE MADE MANY MANY TIMES....DELICIOUS SEASON TO TASTE AND USE PAM OLIVE OIL...MUFFINS HAVE NOT..ONLY USE THE BOX STUFF FOR THE KIDS

YOU KNOW WHATS ALSO GREAT, CLEANED STRING BEANS & SWEET POTATOES DONE THE SAME WAY AS BUTTERNUT SQUASH
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    the brownie muffins are very yummy! I actually bought some of the duncan hines amazing glazes stuff to put on top for a little more flavor, but I made them for home fellowship for church and everybody gobbled them down like they were going out of style!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I love the pumpkin brownie mix. I don't use her recipes often, but sometimes they are just right when I'm craving something specific and want to make a healthier snack! :)
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I've never heard of making brownies with pumpkin. I've heard of using pureed canned black beans but not pumpkin.

I make pumpkin spice muffins using only a box of dry spice cake mix and a 15-oz can of pumpkin. They're delicious.

Pumpkin doesn't taste like anything, really. Even pumpkin pie only tastes like the spices used. I bet the brownies are probably going to be good.
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have not tried the cake mix/ pumpkin brownies. The butternut squash fries sound similar to the sweet potato fries that I buy in the health food section at Dillons (Kroger), Alexia is the brand name, you bake them in the oven and they are delicious!
  • Ldburr
    Ldburr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried those items particularly, but I have tried her other recipes and they're very good. I subscribe to her news letter and each week she takes a fast food item and remakes it into a lower calorie dish you can make at home. She also gives the low down on grocery items and what not each week.

I haven't caught her show yet, but I hope to very soon.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of making brownies with pumpkin. I've heard of using pureed canned black beans but not pumpkin.

I make pumpkin spice muffins using only a box of dry spice cake mix and a 15-oz can of pumpkin. They're delicious.

Pumpkin doesn't taste like anything, really. Even pumpkin pie only tastes like the spices used. I bet the brownies are probably going to be good.

I was wondering if a spice cake mix would be good with the pumpkin. In the past, I have done a can of apple pie filling and spice cake and it turned out like a coffee cake. I think I made the cake like it said with the eggs and oil, then added the pie filling.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For Easter, I made brownies using pumpkin. I thought they were "ok" but nobody else liked them. I just used a box of Duncan Hines brownie mix and 15 oz. of pure pumpkin. They were very dense and heavy, but good enough to ease my chocolate craving.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I've tried the brownie & pumpkin - it was good but not my favorite....my favorite is the brownie (or cake mix) w/ greek yogurt. YUMMMM!!!! They cake & brownies just turned out so much more yummy.

I have not made the butternut fries, but I did make the baked kale chips - they were AWESOME. I used Mrs Dash instead of salt, etc...to get less sodium.

I do have one of her cookbooks but have had to tweek some of the recipes because I don't like a lot of processed "stuff". I do love her "big salad" recipes. If I'm going to have a salad, I want LOTS of salad. LOL
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The brownie muffins were pretty good. Not at all like brownies, but still tasty. I really like the taste of the squash fries, but like a previous poster, I could NOT get them crispy. I tried a couple times.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have made both and they are amazing! :smile:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options

I was wondering if a spice cake mix would be good with the pumpkin. In the past, I have done a can of apple pie filling and spice cake and it turned out like a coffee cake. I think I made the cake like it said with the eggs and oil, then added the pie filling.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543

She actually has a ton of 2 ingredient cake recipes in the post above, and one of them is spice cake.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have tried the pumpkin can with yellow cake mix to make cookies... VERY soft and yummy!!