Has anyone been told that they are getting too skinny?

Options

Replies

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I was told this while losing weight, mostly by obese people who weren't trying to lose weight. It's a form of body shaming and it's extremely frustrating. I replied to one person "where were you when I was getting fat and eating myself to death? I don't remember you being concered about me then!" The comments have mostly stopped, though I had a trainer in the gym tell me I needed to "bulk" up because women don't like scrawny men. I told him it didn't matter what women thought about me because I'm married, lol.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind if you live in places like the united states an most of Europe you're surrounded by fat people and that becomes normal. People these days no longer understand what a healthy body is suppose to look like because we're surrounded by fat *kitten*. -_-

I'd tell them where to shove it. I'm not at that point yet where people would look at me and go "omg you're wasting away" but yeah when I get there, I can't wait to tell people off LOL :laugh:
  • JeffInJax
    JeffInJax Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My mom said that, then I started singing to her with my stomach how my milkshake doesn't bring any girls to the yard, and she hasn't said anything since. Was about 20 pounds ago...
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...just at Thanksgiving. Got a lot of "So, how many calories a day do you eat?"

When I got that question, I'd tell everyone "on a good day, 800, but mostly I eat 500 a day." Of course, because of working out, I didn't have many days where I ate below 2000.
  • grumpyalbertm
    Options
    I get that all the time, and my response will always be "thank you! I like hearing that more than "your to fat try losing some weight"
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    OP - I totally agree. We have very similar stats, and like you, I KNOW that I am not close to being skinny. I take the feedback in stride though.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    yes, I've also been asked (in response to my weight loss) "what happened? are you sick? you're not on drugs are you??" sheeeeesh. lol
  • dblanch2013
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »
    ergh yes, all the time. It's annoying becauuuse:
    1) it's your body and no-one else's
    2) I *am* eating enough
    3) Ironically, it has made me think more about my weight and made me more self-conscious/anxious not to gain it all back.
    When people are constantly telling you you're too skinny, you realise how much others do see and comment on your weight. When you're overweight, people might think you are, but no-one tells you and you don't realise it, or admit to your situation. So when you're overweight, you might think that no-one cares about you weight, but really they do...
    Anyway I guess that point is irrelevant because it brings me back to number 1..!

Exactly! At first it was flattering, but like you, it has made me more self conscious/anxious that people were constantly judging me before.

Sometimes being overly complimented can backfire. I have noticed that whenever people push on, and go on a bit excessively sometimes, about how "good you look/different you look!", at first I find the compliment flattering but then the wondering starts...Did I look THAT bad before? I have only lost about 20-25 pounds depending on the month and I am 5'8, so I can't help but wonder...and feel kind of low/horrified at the thought of gaining weight again.

Also, most of the time, from a peer standpoint and especially from women, it comes off a bit like deep-seeded jealously. And I have been asked/confronted more than once if I have an eating disorder.

And the answer is, no, not at all, I just eat healthier and work out, which I never used to do. But the constant questioning and emphasis does put a damper on it depending on the mood.

Overall, I try to just ignore it.
  • liza0109
    liza0109 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes. I get that too.
    Also, if I cough or sneeze my mom tells me I'm getting sick because I'm too skinny!! Are you kidding? I'm healthier now than I ever have been!
    My family also tend to watch what I eat when in a social gathering and feel they need to comment, such as "you can't eat that, it's not a vegetable"!!
    They didn't tell me not to eat something before and that's when they should have!
    I'm far from too skinny at 5'5" 133#. In fact I'm starting feel pretty athletic!
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeap....my whole life I said, just once I want someone to say I'm too skinny and here it is, so yay. I'm not too skinny. 5'1", 123 lbs (only because I gained some weight over the holiday week). I was at 118 lbs for about 5 minutes before the holiday.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Yep! Its actually kind of funny now - have been lifting all year and am just starting to "bulk" to gain maybe 5 pounds of muscle over the next few months/year. I am eating more now (2000-2500 calories) than i ever did dieting over the past few years (seriously a year under 1000 calories a day, avg was probably 1400 while losing weight). So now when they say "You need to eat" and shove food in my face, I grab it and say "You bet!" and chow down. So now they think I am bulemic or only eat in public, and that is why I am staying skinny while eating all the food they keep throwing at me :) I absolutely LOVE having a working/energetic metabolism - all that muscle needs some FOOD!
  • Vitaphobia
    Options
    the world we are living is gradually increasing, as food portions grow clothing sizes get bigger and then a large from 20 years ago is a small currently. people are being trained to see bigger because the low quality large portion diet is growing people and they don't want to fix it, just bandage it with size changes.
    these fads come and go sometimes, there was the pinup girl of the 20's and then twiggy started the slim craze, now with all the large bottoms in the media the semi-curvy is back?

as long as you are healthy and feel good inside your body you should be any shape/size you want.
  • hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, and at Thanksgiving I think every family member had to give me their opinion on my weight and had to ask exactly how much I weigh now. I'm 5'4" and 130 pounds, exactly healthy for the first time in my life! My mom even had to say "she doesn't eat enough" to an aunt as I was sitting there stuffing my face with pumpkin AND pecan pie! They are all overweight though and have no idea what a healthy weight even looks like. It annoys me, but I ignore them mostly and go on about my life. I also heard several of my family members sitting around the table comparing their diet related diseases and long list of medication and thought "wow, and you guys are worried I'm unhealthy?!?". It was mind boggling!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gosh yes. It drives me nuts. The problem is that my weight is mostly on my hips and belly at this point (can't really tell with the belly though as I have a lot of loose skin), so sure, my arms and leg might look skinny, but I'm definitely not (I'm 5'5" and 133 pounds).
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone's ever used the term skinny when describing me, much less too skinny. I'm large framed with thick limbs, so nothing on me will really ever be "skinny". Whenever anyone's brought up my fat loss, it's typically positive. However, I did get accused of having an eating disorder from my best friend, which was lovely...

Anywho, from the other perspective, I did say something similar to my (other) best friend once (that she shouldn't lose anymore). It was genuine concern. She lost quite a bit and it changed her face dramatically. Also, I know the methods she uses, and I don't quite agree with them and worry she's harming herself in the long run. But she's set on what she's doing (and has been for a long time now), and I haven't commented since that one time.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Many times.

I think some people are so shocked at the image change – that don’t fully understand just how “FAT” I was…and will say things like “you’re not going to lose any more are you?” When I say “yes” another 11-20 pounds, they will come back with another comment.

My response at that point is usually – “If you can show me “any” reputable height / weight / BMI chart that shows I am the healthy weight for someone my height/weight/age/BMI – I’ll stop immediately."

I know they can’t and that sort of ends the discussion.

73641431.png
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    amy0louise wrote: »
    ergh yes, all the time. It's annoying becauuuse:
    1) it's your body and no-one else's
    2) I *am* eating enough
    3) Ironically, it has made me think more about my weight and made me more self-conscious/anxious not to gain it all back.
    When people are constantly telling you you're too skinny, you realise how much others do see and comment on your weight. When you're overweight, people might think you are, but no-one tells you and you don't realise it, or admit to your situation. So when you're overweight, you might think that no-one cares about you weight, but really they do...
    Anyway I guess that point is irrelevant because it brings me back to number 1..!

Exactly! At first it was flattering, but like you, it has made me more self conscious/anxious that people were constantly judging me before.

Sometimes being overly complimented can backfire. I have noticed that whenever people push on, and go on a bit excessively sometimes, about how "good you look/different you look!", at first I find the compliment flattering but then the wondering starts...Did I look THAT bad before? I have only lost about 20-25 pounds depending on the month and I am 5'8, so I can't help but wonder...and feel kind of low/horrified at the thought of gaining weight again.

Also, most of the time, from a peer standpoint and especially from women, it comes off a bit like deep-seeded jealously. And I have been asked/confronted more than once if I have an eating disorder.

And the answer is, no, not at all, I just eat healthier and work out, which I never used to do. But the constant questioning and emphasis does put a damper on it depending on the mood.

Overall, I try to just ignore it.

Hi sorry I've only just seen that you replied.
    Yeah, it's really bad :/ basically, making comments about other people's bodies is not ok!!! But hey, as long as we know this we can keep brushing that dirt of ya shoulder ha.

Yes, I totally agree. I hate how people categorise others into 'overweight' or 'anorexic'- and those are the two extremes we are exposed to in the media.
    The junk food industry and the diet industry are two sides of the same coin really, both feeding emotional eating.

This is why I've found MFP so good because it's been one of the few places that has taught me about moderation and the middle ground.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I did take things too far about 4 years back. Had a friend who hadn't seen me in awhile say, are you on the crack diet. Kind of woke me up to start adding muscle and not just keep a low bf level.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    People are saying it to me. Not just friends and acquaintances but trainers at the gym, who aren't even my trainers. I'm 5'4" and JUST BARELY hit 139. I don't really understand that.
  • Parkes1993
    Parkes1993 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been getting that a bit lately but it's part of my programe and routine to lose the body fat before stating to build good lean muscle ...... People don't realise what kinda shape your in under your cloths lol .... The way I look at it is Id rather look like I do than all the people that seem to have the problem ....