I'm backsliding hard and I don't feel like I have the motivation to stop

Options
For over 6 months I was doing great - eating well, exercising at LEAST one hour per day, sometimes a lot more. I had lost almost 30 pounds (I wasn't extremely overweight to begin with). I was within 10 lbs of my goal weight. Then one bad week of university stress disrupted my gym schedule. And then I made an excuse to not go to the gym. And now I'm sitting here, almost 10 lbs heavier. I've gained back 1/3 of the weight I worked so hard to lose. I'm in the middle of thesis papers and final exams. I'm tired, I'm busy, and I'm making every excuse under the sun to eat comfort food while I pound out essays or read for hours on end. I'm getting my car serviced and there's a burger king next door, and I want more than anything to get a chicken sandwich combo, and then go home and watch parks and recreation. I don't know what's wrong with me, and I don't know how not to let this consume me like it used to. I was doing so well guys, and I feel powerless.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Only you can make yourself powerless and that's by giving up your power. Trust me, I understand the place you're in. I get that way sometimes with all of the pressure from work, school and my exercise schedule. I sometimes want to just chuck it all and I sometimes will for a day or two, but the trick is to not let one or two days become weeks and months. The sad truth is only you have the power to keep that from happening. So... what you need to decide is what is more important to you: the burger and Parks and Rec or getting your weight loss back on track? Whichever you decide is fine with the rest of us but you need to make that decision and stop beating yourself up over it. Guilt over not doing what you think you should be doing isn't healthy nor helping you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    For over 6 months I was doing great - eating well, exercising at LEAST one hour per day, sometimes a lot more. I had lost almost 30 pounds (I wasn't extremely overweight to begin with). I was within 10 lbs of my goal weight. Then one bad week of university stress disrupted my gym schedule. And then I made an excuse to not go to the gym. And now I'm sitting here, almost 10 lbs heavier. I've gained back 1/3 of the weight I worked so hard to lose. I'm in the middle of thesis papers and final exams. I'm tired, I'm busy, and I'm making every excuse under the sun to eat comfort food while I pound out essays or read for hours on end. I'm getting my car serviced and there's a burger king next door, and I want more than anything to get a chicken sandwich combo, and then go home and watch parks and recreation. I don't know what's wrong with me, and I don't know how not to let this consume me like it used to. I was doing so well guys, and I feel powerless.

Perhaps your routine is too daunting? That's a lot of time at the gym.

When I lose my motivation to go the only thing that brings me out of it is...to go. But I don't kill myself the first day back, either. I ease back into it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    just go. don't give yourself the time to make excuses.

Get up off your butt and walk while the car is being serviced.

Any time I truly feel like I'm in a rut- I go DO something- no time to argue with myself- set an alarm if you have to and go do it. Don't make excuses- just go do it. Almost everyone has been there- we've all done it- and the plain and simple fact is as at some point- you have to actually go do the thing.

I'd also recommend looking into shorter whole body workouts that are only 2-3 times a week.

If you really can't hit the gym- do a body weight HIIT workout at home. It'll change your mental attitude significantly.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    No one else can force you to be motivated. You have to want it yourself. Everyone's lives gets busy, hectic and crazy, and sure we all have times when we can't work out as often as we'd like. But just because you miss some time at the gym, doesn't mean you quit altogether. Get up and go when you can. Make the time.

As for feeling powerless. Only you have the power over you. You have the power to make the choices to be fit, or not. Really it's up to you....make the time, even if you can only fit in 3 or 4 days a week.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    hey it's cool. Sometimes you wanna do really well, sometimes you wanna do something else entirely - more than you want to put in work.

workout when you feel like it. but don't get upset if you aren't getting lots of great results - that requires a bit more discipline and consistency. If that's what you want, then you gotta step it up, regardless of how you feel each day.

good luck!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are dealing with end of the semester stress. Go to the gym for 30 minutes, not as a weightloss technique, but as a stress relief technique.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    what concord says. It sounds like you are letting the whole diet thing add to your stress.

The diet can wait. Go to maintenance or failing that just keep logging your food. Maintenance will just prevent further gains, which you shiuld accpet for now. If you are logging you havent given up. Dont forget the lessons you have learned about nutrition to keep you in good shape for studying.

The exercise view it as stress relief as it will make you feel better. Just do 30 mins and unwind, Burning calories etc can wait. Relaxing and stress control are an equally important part of letting you perform at optimal levels. Good luck and worry less.
  • arnold824
    Options
    Whoah this is why I don't do cardio, I just eat fine and do some weight training and feel like it's a normal day. I don't feel obligated to do anything because I got used to this routine since I can stick to it and it doesn't really take away too much from me.

Maybe that's the lesson here, stick to something you could maintain and you're more likely to succeed rather than pushing yourself too hard and eventually stopping it because you can't keep up with it.

I'm also on my thesis and I have a LOT of report from other subjects that needs to be done but I could still continue my weight loss routine. You can too, just don't push yourself too hard because you're more likely to fail. If you can't/don't want to exercise it's fine, you just maintain your food goals and try to exercise when you have time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Isnt the point she isnt eating fine? She is out of her routine whether that be cardio or any other form of exercise.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    just go. don't give yourself the time to make excuses.

Get up off your butt and walk while the car is being serviced.

Any time I truly feel like I'm in a rut- I go DO something- no time to argue with myself- set an alarm if you have to and go do it. Don't make excuses- just go do it. Almost everyone has been there- we've all done it- and the plain and simple fact is as at some point- you have to actually go do the thing.

I'd also recommend looking into shorter whole body workouts that are only 2-3 times a week.

If you really can't hit the gym- do a body weight HIIT workout at home. It'll change your mental attitude significantly.

This ^ This is soooooooo true!

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    You're a grownup. Take some responsibility and decide what you want and then act accordingly.

Do you need motivation to brush your teeth? To take a shower? Why should taking care of yourself in other ways be any different? You don't debate and make excuses instead of brushing your teeth, do you?
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I can (kind of) relate. Prior to discovering MFP, in February 2014 I decided I was sick of being out of shape and wanted to get back to the shape I was in 15-20 years ago, so I started doing Tom Venuto's Feed the Muscle, Burn the Fat program - both eating and exercise. I was going to the gym 4x/week, watching my eating, allowing the odd cheat day - and from end of Feb to 2nd week of June I lost 40 lbs and my strength really increased.

Then....allergies hit, combined with a cold. I missed the gym for 2 weeks, and then didn't get back until a month ago. Over that time I also let my diet go to hell, and since it was summer, drinking beers was a common occurence. I gained 42 lbs from 2nd week of June to the beginning of November.

I know EXACTLY how you feel, I felt like that for most of October.

What changed?

Simple. One day I just woke up and said "f*** this, I've had enough. Stop being a loser."...and I went back to the gym. A few days later I heard of MFP and started using it to track my macros.

Fast forward a month, down 8 pounds (probably more, need to weigh in tomorrow, I only weigh in once a week) even though I have pretty bad cheat nights on Fridays and Saturdays, and since I log my workouts, my strength is almost back to where it was when I stopped in June.

The bottom line: get off your *kitten* and do it. Stop making excuses.

• Arcaenah
    Arcaenah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm struggling myself with this kind of problem. Last exam left + thesis + problems with my flatmate + soon going to China and staying away from my boyfriend and family for 4 months...
    But hey, am I doing this because I want better grades or to solve my problems with my overly idiot flatmate? Nope. I am doing it for myself. It's my thing, my responsibility. Don't let excuses get in the way, we'll all have enough of them for a lifetime!
  • Breione
    Breione Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with most people on here that you have to find the motivation within yourself. I can totally relate to your issue though. When I'm working out and watching my diet (with the help of MFP) I feel great and it doesn't even matter to me how I look. To feel fit and healthy is actually what motivates me to keep it up. If I miss a week at the gym though, there's a problem. Not because a week away from the gym is all bad but because I also start to slack off with my diet and then start making excuses not to go back to the gym. The reality is that when I'm not working out I'm more likely to eat bad and it's a downward spiral. This leads to weight gain and I become embarrassed of my backsliding (shame - another reason to skip the gym).

When I get like this it really helps me to have the support of those around me. I know it's me that has to change but the support of a friend or family member is a huge factor in getting back into my stride when I fall off. If you don't have someone to help motivate you then look within. No, I'm not trying to get all philosophical but really, think about why you started getting fit in the first place and how good it felt to see the pounds shed away. Start small with a mile walk and a couple sets of pushups and situps and your muscle memory will kick in in no time. Just remember, the longer you stay away, the harder it is to get back to it. Hold yourself accountable. You're still 20 pounds down from your starting weight! Keep it going!