10lb by christmas day, can it be done?

Options
Hi all,

New to the site again, im hoping to lose 10lb before christmas and i started yesterday..
Im looking at eating 1200 calories and working out at my bootcamp 3x a week!

Thoughts, tips, advice?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week. No more.
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week. No more.

this! otherwise, very easily bounced back...

• jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I understand you feel 10lb would be nice, but think of it that even if it was 5lb its still a success in itself :smile: dont feel pressure and let if come and stay off~~
    It also depends on your starting weight and height ^^
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you have to lose to be honest

if you need to lose 10lbs, aim to lose 10lbs but having a deadline date is not that useful

see how it goes - you'll probably lose a lot first week with water weight then it will settle down

if you only have 10lb to lose in total then 2lb a week is overly ambitious and you should be looking at closer to 0.5lb a week

good luck though
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Possibly.
    Will you do it on that? No, Looks like you dont understan much about how weight loss works.
    Should you be doing it? No, because it would be too severe and you have unrealistic expectations, especially from what you are doing.

If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Will you do it on that? No, Looks like you dont understan much about how weight loss works.
    Should you be doing it? No, because it would be too severe and you have unrealistic expectations, especially from what you are doing.

expansion/variation of this chart:
    75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

according to your profile, you want to lose 38 pounds, which would make it unrealistic to lose 10 pounds by christmas. don't be discouraged, though and don't only measure your success by the number on the scale. take your measurements and take pictures.

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    ive lost 37lbs in around 9 months I would say realistically don't starve do it slowly. 10lbs loss my body didn't look much different id recommend the 30DS I only lost around 3lbs each shred but tons of inches and they look better than lbs trust me. Im around 3 dress sizes down
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week. No more.

And that's only if you're highly obese

It could happen, if you lose a lot of water weight at first, but it won't be all fat. Set your deficit to a pound a week (which will probably give you more than 1200 calories) and go from there. Ten pounds in three weeks is very dangerous.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can lose 3-6 pounds in the first week in water, depending on how heavy you are to start, so yes it is possible. That leaves you 3 weeks to lose the other 5 pounds.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Can it be done? Yes. Is it dangerous? Probably not, as long as you are eating at least 1200 calories. However, it requires at least a 1750 calorie deficit every day. It is unlikely you can get that from cutting calories alone and calories burned estimates tend to be on the high side. Assuming your TDEE is around 1700, you would get 500 of the 1750 from cutting calories. You would need to exercise enough every day to burn 1220 additional calories, so aim for an even higher number to account for inaccuracy in estimation. Unless your boot camp workouts are burning 3500 calories or more, it is unlikely that you will lose 10 lbs by Christmas, if that is the only additional exercise you are getting.
  • becky_ellen
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You can lose 3-6 pounds in the first week in water, depending on how heavy you are to start, so yes it is possible. That leaves you 3 weeks to lose the other 5 pounds.

this is exactly what i thought!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The problem with the "5 lbs the first week" thing is that those "water" lbs go back on just as easily as they came off. You're likely to be eating more salt and starches around Christmas, so even if on the 23rd the scale shows you lost 10 lbs, it is likely that it will show you only lost 7 lbs on Christmas day.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    cecesquats wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

expansion/variation of this chart:
    75+ to lose = 2lbs
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs

according to your profile, you want to lose 38 pounds, which would make it unrealistic to lose 10 pounds by christmas. don't be discouraged, though and don't only measure your success by the number on the scale. take your measurements and take pictures.

really 2lbs a week for someone trying to lose 75+ pounds that's absurd. I lost 90lbs and i had weeks i lost 3-5lbs and all i did is enjoy every lb dropping off and my body responded positively.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Why is Christmas Day this arbitrary deadline for 10 lbs?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Ht/Wt?
  • sarahsmiles2013
    sarahsmiles2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

New to the site again, im hoping to lose 10lb before christmas and i started yesterday..
    Im looking at eating 1200 calories and working out at my bootcamp 3x a week!

Thoughts, tips, advice?

There is so much that goes into figuring out the amount of weight you can reasonably lose in a certain period of time so the answer is not the same for everyone. Depending on your height, weight, and age 1,200 calories can be unreasonable. Sometimes your body needs more fuel in order to burn more. Our weight changes constantly due to holding water from sodium intake, illness, that time of the month (for girls), etc.

I wouldn't have a set number in mind to lose. I would set goals as far as "I'm going to log all of my food every day", "I'm going to make healthier eating choices", "I'm going to do an extra exercise each day", etc.....When you start doing things like that, you aren't focused so much on a number, but are making strides into dropping the pounds and inches.

Just some food for thought! Best of luck to you with your goals! :)

• ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't set yourself up for failure. You are more likely to quit when you don't see the results you expected.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Definitely can be done depending on your weight although you will most likely get called out by people for even suggesting it.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    2lbs per week. No more.

And that's only if you're highly obese

It could happen, if you lose a lot of water weight at first, but it won't be all fat. Set your deficit to a pound a week (which will probably give you more than 1200 calories) and go from there. Ten pounds in three weeks is very dangerous.

VERY dangerous? no

It's a 1500 deficit a day for 23 days. Not ideal, but definitely doable
  • becky_ellen
    Options
    I dont think it is dangerous, and i think i can manage it, im not hungry even though ive cut down my calories as im eating more healthy options like a bigger salads so im not snacking at all and im working out 3 times a week at a high intensity bootcamp designed for weight loss and toning so i think by xmas 10lb will be off.

I wont be disheartened if it doesnt happen, but by having a big goal i push myself alot more. And for those who question why, firstly its a step to my overall target, secondly who doesnt want to look and feel good at christmas, lots of pictures are taken and who wants to feel like a balloon (thats just my thought)