New & No Clue!

Options
Hey Everyone, new to the forum and the dieting plan here! I seriously need to get into kick *kitten* shape and stop being lazy. I think i'm about 155-160lbs now. My belly hangs over my jeans and nothing fits right. Its depressing to me, I used to be in awesome shape about 2 years ago and then caved.
I got engaged this year and our wedding is 10/15 and I need to look good! I dont know if its more about the number on the scale vs feeling and looking great and toned. Going for the toned look!
I will say this. I don't eat healthy until today. I would eat fast food once a day. Drink 1-2 beers/wine a night at least. Drink soda once a day, eat pasta and bread like crazy. Drink 1 cup (at least) coffee a day with heavy cream and sugar. M-F I'm usually tired and don't feel like moving around 1pm-3pm...not sure if its the diet or my lunch or what!

Today, however,I ate a granola bar for breakfast, no coffee, all water, chicken pot pie for lunch (not the greatest but all i had at the moment) and a sliced up cucumber with seasoning for lunch as well. Dinner? something awesome and healthy. Maybe a salmon salad.

The one thing I cannot wrap my head around is the exercise part!! I belong to a gym but don't know where to start or what to do to attain the look i want. Is it cardio, jogging, weight training or what?? Any great advice like a plan would be very helpful! I've gone to bodybuilding.com and get lost easily on the website. Thanks!

Replies

• MartyAlencar
    MartyAlencar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    http://neilarey.com/

Add me as a friend if you want! I'm making a MFP comeback!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've identified all the important stuff. As for the exercise, start with a daily walk....then build from there.
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you want to look toned, weight training is a good way to go. Stonglifts 5x5 is a good starter program. I do both lifting and cardio but lifting has definitely had a greater impact on how I look and feel. And it sounds like you're getting your diet in order, which is the other key. Feel free to add me if you need some support on the exercise side.
  • AnjaHerondale
    Options
    A variety of exercises usually works best. I like walking/running, but I'll do rock climbing, swimming, biking and pretty much any sport works.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Since you want to look toned (with muscle definition) I suggest a weight lifting regimen. You could try looking into Strong Lifts 5x5, Strong Curves, or New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Some cardio (say 2 days a week on top of about 3 for weight training) and a calorie deficit and hopefully you'll like how you end up :)

And 2-3 rest days. Those are very important. Cardio can be on separate days as weights or on the same days. Up to you!
  • bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp. You're in the right place. Start slow with weight training. Mix in some cardio. Does your gym have classes you can take or people you can ask for advice? Let me know if I can help. Best of luck!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Some cardio *and* some weights. I think the combination works best for most people.
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Most gyms have helpers, who will teach you how to work the machines for free. Ask at your gym - they normally work only specific hours. If your gym doesn't offer this, then the internet is full of videos and descriptions of different exercises. Free weights are the easiest to start with, if you have no clue what to do. In the meantime, you can watch others at the gym, or even ask them how to work certain machines.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I did a blog post with a bunch of newbie help topics, including sexypants, goal setting (find your healthy goal weight, and how much to eat to get there), exercise, motivation...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-10-newbie-help-post-685689

I disagree though that "free weights are easiest to start with". Machines don't let you do anything wrong, and they come with pictures.

51637601.png
  • Fat2FitMom15
    Options
    Hey Everyone, new to the forum and the dieting plan here! I seriously need to get into kick *kitten* shape and stop being lazy. I think i'm about 155-160lbs now. My belly hangs over my jeans and nothing fits right. Its depressing to me, I used to be in awesome shape about 2 years ago and then caved.
    I got engaged this year and our wedding is 10/15 and I need to look good! I dont know if its more about the number on the scale vs feeling and looking great and toned. Going for the toned look!
    I will say this. I don't eat healthy until today. I would eat fast food once a day. Drink 1-2 beers/wine a night at least. Drink soda once a day, eat pasta and bread like crazy. Drink 1 cup (at least) coffee a day with heavy cream and sugar. M-F I'm usually tired and don't feel like moving around 1pm-3pm...not sure if its the diet or my lunch or what!

Today, however,I ate a granola bar for breakfast, no coffee, all water, chicken pot pie for lunch (not the greatest but all i had at the moment) and a sliced up cucumber with seasoning for lunch as well. Dinner? something awesome and healthy. Maybe a salmon salad.

The one thing I cannot wrap my head around is the exercise part!! I belong to a gym but don't know where to start or what to do to attain the look i want. Is it cardio, jogging, weight training or what?? Any great advice like a plan would be very helpful! I've gone to bodybuilding.com and get lost easily on the website. Thanks!

feel free to add me :)