Addicted to Popcorn

Options

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    make your own popcorn instead? You can actually put a tbsp of oil and 1/4 cup of popcorn in a brown paper bag and microwave it. Cuts out all the chemicals and stuff they add to the bag.

I don't think you're supposed to add oil to the bag...

http://www.squawkfox.com/2010/07/27/popcorn-recipe-gourmet-popcorn/
    I've seen where some say to add oil, it's a mess and makes the bag messy. I simply put in 1/4cup popcorn in a brown lunch sack ($ store 100 bags for a buck) fold the bag over and fold it over again if you like either way just make sure the fold is tight.

Pop it in the microwave and hit the popcorn button pull it out when it's about done popping and enjoy!

Way better than air-popped and no chemicals or greasy oily bags after. I reuse my bags a number of times since they are dry from the popcorn.

Yum... popcorn sounds good for a snack later.

Enjoy your popcorn but be safe about it.... microwave popcorn ....ew...chemicals, fake stuff... least give the above a shot before you go back to your boxed micro stuff. :)

Also if you store your bagged popcorn in the freezer it keeps it fresher much longer (the unpopped bag! :p )
  • Prmami2184
    Prmami2184 Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    LOVE popcorn! 100cal bags &/or Boom Chicka Pop soooo filling for an afternoon snack!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    make your own popcorn instead? You can actually put a tbsp of oil and 1/4 cup of popcorn in a brown paper bag and microwave it. Cuts out all the chemicals and stuff they add to the bag.

I don't think you're supposed to add oil to the bag...

http://www.squawkfox.com/2010/07/27/popcorn-recipe-gourmet-popcorn/
    I've seen where some say to add oil, it's a mess and makes the bag messy. I simply put in 1/4cup popcorn in a brown lunch sack ($ store 100 bags for a buck) fold the bag over and fold it over again if you like either way just make sure the fold is tight.

Pop it in the microwave and hit the popcorn button pull it out when it's about done popping and enjoy!

Way better than air-popped and no chemicals or greasy oily bags after. I reuse my bags a number of times since they are dry from the popcorn.

Yum... popcorn sounds good for a snack later.

Enjoy your popcorn but be safe about it.... microwave popcorn ....ew...chemicals, fake stuff... least give the above a shot before you go back to your boxed micro stuff. :)

Every recipe I looked at, with the exception of the allrecipes one, didn't list oil.
    I'd think that it'd seep through the bag and coat your microwave.

I have an air popper. I love it.
    My ex made up popcorn with oil on his stove top, I wasn't a fan... And I grew up with one of those spinning arm oil poppers...
    I also love microwave popcorn. I don't care if it's going to give me cancer since at this point, pretty much everything is going to anyway and they keep changing their minds on what is cancer-causing and cancer-preventing...
    I had that boom chicka popcorn, it was gross. I threw it away after one handful
  • amanda_louise27
    Options
    Try SkinnyPop. I've found it at Costco where I am, but grocery stores should carry it, too. A serving is 3.75 cups, and each serving has 150 calories (in the original, there are a couple other flavors), and 15g carbs. Also, the only ingredients are all natural popcorn, sunflower oil, and salt. And it actually tastes good!
  • Hearts_2015
    edited December 2014
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    I love popcorn too, and will try to fit the real, stovetop, oil-and-butter version into my calories about once a week. But after last week's Thanksgiving feasting I'm trying to be a little under calories this week, so I did the brown bag in the microwave last night and realized it's really just as good. I melted a tablespoon of butter and drizzled it over the top. Didn't put any oil in the bag at all. Delish!
    Hey great to hear you liked it! Yup I've added butter to it a few times (same as you, to the popcorn not in the bag but on it) and you really don't need much to enjoy it....yay you for trying something new!!!

Popcorn is full of fiber too!

Never heard of ----> boom chicka pop
  • CarolineAGergen
    CarolineAGergen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn habits too! Here's my recipie fix:

Take about 1 or 2 tablespoons of popcorn kernels, then toss them into a microwave safe bowl (the deeper the better), and cover the bowl with a microwave safe plate. Heat for about 2 1/2 minutes and WAH-LAH. Fresh popcorn you can salt or season to your tasting!

Hot air popping with out the hot air popper.

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    tink11464 wrote: »
    ndj1979 - the definition of addiction is: the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. Being that it's something I crave all of the time I felt as if the word addiction suited what I felt. :)
    makes sense to me!
  • alandry2121
    alandry2121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 94 lbs. in 2012 and ate popcorn almost every night. In the 100 calorie bags there were about 25 carbs (sometimes I'd have two). Jolly-time was the brand. I was a huge chip eater before trying to get healthy, popcorn was a great healthier substitution. If you are concerned about carbs, could you keep the rest of your day low on carbs to allow yourself this "treat"? Or let yourself have it every other day? I do some version of carb cycling (LC every other day) and I let myself have popcorn every other night, and I bet I love it even more than you! :)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a good source of fiber and antioxidants. Popcorn is good for you. Real popcorn, that is, not that microwaved junk.

I air pop mine, spray a little olive oil over it and then liberally add potassium chloride (salt substitute). That's the basic setup. I then add honey or peanut butter or PB2 or kettle corn, white cheddar, or nacho cheese flavoring powder.

At only about 200 calories for a big bowl, it's the perfect food to mindlessly chomp on while sitting in front of the TV.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why is everything an addiction????????

everything isn't
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I lost 94 lbs. in 2012 and ate popcorn almost every night. In the 100 calorie bags there were about 25 carbs (sometimes I'd have two). Jolly-time was the brand. I was a huge chip eater before trying to get healthy, popcorn was a great healthier substitution. If you are concerned about carbs, could you keep the rest of your day low on carbs to allow yourself this "treat"? Or let yourself have it every other day? I do some version of carb cycling (LC every other day) and I let myself have popcorn every other night, and I bet I love it even more than you! :)

Some days I will go without real food to eat MORE popcorn - besides my trip to the seedy area for popcorn, this is another reason I have to somewhat curb this craving. I did so well for so long.
  • lishie_rebooted
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ndj1979 - the definition of addiction is: the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. Being that it's something I crave all of the time I felt as if the word addiction suited what I felt. :)

You gave the definition that Google pops out but if you click on any of the links below what Google said, you see this:
    Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.
    Source: http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
    Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why is everything an addiction????????

everything isn't

A lot of people come to this board claiming to be addicted to any myriad of things - junk food, sugar, popcorn.
    He's expressing his frustration over the overuse and abuse of the word addiction.
  • tink11464
    Options

You gave the definition that Google pops out but if you click on any of the links below what Google said, you see this:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.

There is no way, under normal circumstances would I have gone to the area I did - AND FOR POPCORN?!! So yup - I am classifying it an addiction. It can result in disability if I keep eating the way I am (Again carbs are what's bad for me not so much the calories). It seems silly - but I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, (do like chocolate, etc) but have never had something have a hold on me - something as simple as a food.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

There is no way, under normal circumstances would I have gone to the area I did - AND FOR POPCORN?!! So yup - I am classifying it an addiction. It can result in disability if I keep eating the way I am (Again carbs are what's bad for me not so much the calories). It seems silly - but I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, (do like chocolate, etc) but have never had something have a hold on me - something as simple as a food.

Then find a therapist.
  • tink11464
    Options
    603reader - you may be on to something :) but just thought someone would know of a great salty/crunchy substitute that could be lower in carbs. Thanks
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other posts yet. But I definitely know what your going through. I had a popcorn addiction for a few years. I used to eat 6-10 packs of those snack packs a day, and yes the weight piled on :( One day I just quit, and the weight came off!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I grew up with the oil in a pan way. I haven't calculated out the calories, but now I kind of want some popcorn.

We never liked the air popper since the salt wouldn't stick, but the spray oil is a good idea.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I like popcorn too. Gave up the microwave stuff years ago -- tastes chemically to me now. Used to pop it on the stove with oil, but stopped doing that because I couldn't justify the calories. Now I air pop and add a small amount of butter for flavour, and it satisfies my craving. Usually only once every couple of weeks, though, whenever i can fit it into my calorie allowance. But it's high in fibre, which is good for me.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It is always fascinating to me to see how one person's experiences can be so similar or different from another's. You see, I am trying to *create* a popcorn habit to replace my pistachio habit and I am failing miserably because I just don't like it all that much. Also, I have been know to make midnight grocery store runs because I ran out of apples and I *must* have my apples! ;)