30 year old mom/grad student with 50 pounds to lose (& binge eating hist.) looking for friends :)

Options
beth0277
beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
Hi all! I'm Beth, 30 years old, with a 4 year old rambunctious little boy. I'm trying to get back on track after yo-yo dieting for several years. I'm up at my highest weight ever, around 190 pounds, which is a lot for my 5'3" frame. I want to get down to at least 140 but have a history of binge eating so I'm trying to overcome that. I'm ready to make a change for me and my son. I want to teach him healthy habits, though fortunately, he has had no weight issues so far in his short life. I know that can change though. He is a picky eater so I want to make a change that everyone in my family (husband included) can benefit from. I work full time, I'm a full time grad student, and my husband travels/works a ton so I play single mom a lot, too. Sounds like a lot when I type it out. I used to love running but stopped and haven't been able to get started back up. I have a gym membership but haven't been using it. I know I need to take a realistic approach as I have always prescribed to the "lose weight quick" mentality and while I have lost weight, I've always crashed and burned and ended up gaining it all back and then some. My doctor is on me about my weight. She wants to see me in 3 months to do some blood work. I asked her to give me that long to make some changes first. I have high cholesterol and take meds for it already but she is concerned about diabetes. I refuse to eat myself into any more health problems! Anyone in similar situations and want to be an accountability buddy/friend?

Replies

• WNT2BSKNEE
    WNT2BSKNEE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me and hold me accountable for my diary entries! I am a single mom of a 6 year old and am trying to get back on track to lose 30. Good luck to you!
  • 4mic
    4mic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • ztoamom2
    Options
    Good luck!!! Add me. I am a lifetime binge eater and trying hard to control it.
  • lyynnn1
    Options
    You can add me! I have 3 kids myself and am trying to lose 50lbs too. I work full time, until 6 or 7pm. So its very difficult finding the time to squeeze in workouts but for the past 2 weeks I've been dedicated. Hoping to stay on track this time. Before my youngest was born I was regularly working out but fell off after being pregnant once I found that perfect excuse to get back to all the sweets & lazy lifestyle! Its been 2 years since then and at least 30+ lbs later so I'm ready to get back on track!
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself, and I know you can do it!!! I am here for support if you need it, feel free to add me!!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You are starting out in a good place. You have listed what you have going on and you have a good idea where you want to be. I know about the health issues and it will do you well to use that as your motivation. I had that issues at one point with high cholesterol and I was able to get that down on my own, then I eventually had to address high blood pressure and after taking meds for that for several years I am now medication free and free of all pre-existing conditions. When I started this process I was taking courses outside of working full-time and I tended to snack while studying - is this your issue? If so it starts with not buying things to snack on but of course that is easier said than done. I started buying things like hard candy or mints that last long and can keep my mind somewhat off other things. Just take your time and keep your realistic outlook. Know that to do this right it may take longer than you think but it's about your health and it will be so worth it.
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I "friended" you all. Adc, snacking while studying isn't a real issue. My issue has always been restriction/emotional eating. I will do well through the evening but then get stressed or plans change and I eat bad then say "forget it, I'll start fresh tomorrow" and I binge for the entire evening. That seems to be an every day occurence for me, most of the time.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a mom to a 13 year old girl, and I have the same problem of binge eating. What makes it especially hard for me is that my daughter is thin and can eat what she wants without gaining a pound. I'm on my way to lose 50 pounds also and avoid the cholesterol medication that my doctor is threatening to put me on. Feel free to add me, and let's support each other in this journey :)
  • pizzuticutie
    pizzuticutie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me! I am a mom to a 7 year old boy. I work part time, I'm taking 18 credits this semester (nursing school), and I eat whatever. I don't even make an effort but everyday I think tomorrow is the day. Gotta stop and get started and stick to it. I used MFP before and lost 20 but gained it back. I am 185. My goal weight is 132. Since my son was born, I lost all me pregnancy weight to about 127lb and gained it all back plus some. I'm 5'4". I'm almost done with school and I really want to get on board.
  • msfatbooty
    msfatbooty Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow...we have a lot in common! I have a 4 y-o boy (also VERY rambunctious). I also have a 7 mo. old girl. I am at a similar weight, looking to lose 50 lbs. I am also trying to get back into running (just started C25K since I have been doing NOTHING since late summer). It took me almost 2 years to lose the weight after my son was born (and it felt like I was at my pre-pregnacy weight for 5 minutes when I got pregnant with my daughter). I had "big plans" in my head about losing the weight quickly after my daughter was born in April. I think I forgot how much work it is...I still do not feel "back to normal." (Ha...maybe in 18 years I will feel "normal" again). I remember it took a long time to feel "ready" after having my son too. The exhaustion, the WORK, the exhaustion...

I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with the big picture of 50 lbs. It seems too daunting when I am the last on the list of things being taken care of right now...

Track just for today, exercise just today...tomorrow is a new day.

Feel free to add me and we can help motivate and encourage one another.

• chicagodawn
    chicagodawn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm In a very similar situation. I have two kids and work full time. Im also 5ft 3, and I have 40 pounds to lose
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I'm 5'4 and have about 45lbs to lose! Lets do this !!
  • BSmith0926
    BSmith0926 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    please ad me as well. I have been working at it for almost three years now. I am a mom of 5 awesome kids and they keep me busy but its not enough. my highest weight was 190 I got down to 140 and got lazy and got back up to 172 but have been working super hard the last few weeks and I am back down to 164 I just need to learn how to keep it off.
  • Fat2FitMom15
    Options
    WNT2BSKNEE wrote: »
    feel free to add me and hold me accountable for my diary entries! I am a single mom of a 6 year old and am trying to get back on track to lose 30. Good luck to you!
    feel free to add me as I am also a single mommy looking to get fit as well
  • Fat2FitMom15
    Options
    msfatbooty wrote: »
    Wow...we have a lot in common! I have a 4 y-o boy (also VERY rambunctious). I also have a 7 mo. old girl. I am at a similar weight, looking to lose 50 lbs. I am also trying to get back into running (just started C25K since I have been doing NOTHING since late summer). It took me almost 2 years to lose the weight after my son was born (and it felt like I was at my pre-pregnacy weight for 5 minutes when I got pregnant with my daughter). I had "big plans" in my head about losing the weight quickly after my daughter was born in April. I think I forgot how much work it is...I still do not feel "back to normal." (Ha...maybe in 18 years I will feel "normal" again). I remember it took a long time to feel "ready" after having my son too. The exhaustion, the WORK, the exhaustion...

I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with the big picture of 50 lbs. It seems too daunting when I am the last on the list of things being taken care of right now...

Track just for today, exercise just today...tomorrow is a new day.

Feel free to add me and we can help motivate and encourage one another.
    feel free to add me
  • rosepeppercreek
    rosepeppercreek Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student, so I get that life! Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • annar298
    annar298 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I am a mother of 2 and I work fulltime as well, I am newly soon to be divorced so I understand the single mom thing... Also, I too started at that weight although I am shorter I am 4'11" and weighed 189lbs in March/ April this year, I am down to 131 probably less I don't own a scale.. anyway, I didn't join a gym until June and since then I work mostly on weights some stair stepper, I have lost over 60 lbs in just these few months. I feel fantastic. Feel free to add me, I am not a nutritionist by any means, nor did I take any pills all natural. I think before MFP I was always thinking I what I ate was right and wrong etc, I like this site because I can keep track even on my bad days or overindulging. I am for sure you can get down to 140 in no time, just make small diet changes and then start getting more into what your body is telling you it likes... I mean I noticed when I eat bread, fried food etc I am more bloated and uncomfortable also with some other meat choices. I am blessed to have such a great success and hopefully I can help you in anyway. Add me if you like.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Recovering grad student here. (finished my doctorate ~5 years ago). I totally get the stress/binge eating thing. Add me if you want.
  • pizzuticutie
    pizzuticutie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, so today I went to the gym. To look at memberships ;) The annoying thing is that I really enjoy exercising when I have a routine and I'm loosing weight. Just have to get started.
  • MoltenRhino
    Options
    Addme ! I need friends on here.
    I'm new here, a mom and almost
    I'm a binge eater/emotional eater. I have 80+ to loose.

Like you I love working out and do well with that part when I stay with it. Just all this getting side tracked and my horrendous nutrition needs to stop.