Zero Cal Vegetables/ Weight Watchers: Help the constant grazer!

Options
Hi all,

I tried Weight Watchers in the past, and they said that vegetables on this list wouldn't give you any points: http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=59781

However if you log them in MFP they definitely have calories! Anyone have experience with any zero to no calorie vegetables? I think after some time I'll get use to eating less calories again, but currently its like I want to snack all the time.

Replies

• KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too! I'll follow this thread with interest ...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There are no foods that have zero calories
  • KimofTas
    KimofTas Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maybe their points system doesn't focus on cals?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    in…for zero calorie foods….

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    That was mostly weight watchers' way of getting people to eat more veg. The other part is that the point system uses a formula that is dependent on both calories and fiber, so that higher fiber foods were less points than other foods with the same calories.
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    This is why weight watchers didn't work for me!! I'd have a big fruit salad snack, and it wouldn't count for anything "points" wise.....but that was so lame.....my fruit salad included 2 bananas and a peach with some berries. Looking at how many calories now that I'm "smarter" makes me laugh.....seriously....for someone who is trying to lose those last few pounds, EVERY calorie counts.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^ This ^^ Those foods don't exist. If you find some.. Please point them my way lol
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    67mirunner wrote: »
    This is why weight watchers didn't work for me!! I'd have a big fruit salad snack, and it wouldn't count for anything "points" wise.....but that was so lame.....my fruit salad included 2 bananas and a peach with some berries. Looking at how many calories now that I'm "smarter" makes me laugh.....seriously....for someone who is trying to lose those last few pounds, EVERY calorie counts.

This makes sense... bummer, because I was hoping to find something zero cal!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »

^^ This ^^ Those foods don't exist. If you find some.. Please point them my way lol

I think they exist in the tenth dimension ….
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    That was mostly weight watchers' way of getting people to eat more veg. The other part is that the point system uses a formula that is dependent on both calories and fiber, so that higher fiber foods were less points than other foods with the same calories.

This. Plus the number of points you're assigned takes some fruit and veg into account - the minimum 26 points is roughly 1000-1100 calories so they're assuming that you will eat some calories in fruit & vegetables every day.
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A serving of Miracle Noodles (Shirataki) with some Walden Farms sauce/dressing will log in at 0 calories... but the texture and flavour will be so unpleasant that it will also probably make you throw up.

Zevia Cola is decent though, if you like stevia. :)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    PhoenixEve wrote: »
    A serving of Miracle Noodles (Shirataki) with some Walden Farms sauce/dressing will log in at 0 calories... but the texture and flavour will be so unpleasant that it will also probably make you throw up.

Zevia Cola is decent though, if you like stevia. :)

Doesn't that make it net negative calories?
    ddf33b6255458c2098773299352b0d55.jpg
  • nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found a source that lists some low calorie veggies. Here are some examples.
    radish (small)- 0 calories, radish (medium-large)-1 calorie, lettuce (1 cup shredded)-5 calories, celery (7 1/2 inch stalk)-6 calories. Doesn't sound like a bunch of stuff you want to munch on 24 hours a day, but would make a great little salad. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers knows that if someone could have a banana for a point, or a cookie for a point, they'd take the cookie.

They made vegetables and fruit "free" to encourage you to reach for them first, and built a tolerance into your point allocation to allow for the assumption that you'd eat at least a few serves of fruit and veg per day.

No fruit or vegetable is 0 calories, and don't believe the myths about some food taking more to burn that you gain from eating them, either.

When I switched from WW to calorie counting way back when, I was irked that I had to count vegies. But when I started doing it, it amazed me how many calories I could munch in a couple bowls of "zero point" soup!
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Unflavored snow cone.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Unflavored snow cone.

Water smoothie topped with Ice
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tried weight watchers once. I looked up the calories on what they allowed me to eat and it came out to only 800 cal a day!!! Now honestly all foods have calories and the only calories that don't count are the ones you don't eat. I don't like the weight watchers system. It's proprietary and thus unsustainable unless you stay with them and keep paying. I also don't think it's realistic.
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    rivka_m wrote: »

This. Plus the number of points you're assigned takes some fruit and veg into account - the minimum 26 points is roughly 1000-1100 calories so they're assuming that you will eat some calories in fruit & vegetables every day.

Yes, they figure people will be eating some calories from fruits and veggies, but they also stressed to eat fruits/veggies in moderation until satisfied, not that fruits/veggies were free and people could eat unlimited portions of them. My old leader did say that you should count fruits/veggies if you found yourself eating too many of them or if you were following the plan and not losing. Nothing's truly "free".
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    There are a lot of things that will work but you still want to track the calories probably. Cucumbers, spinach, jicama, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, sugar free jello, sugar free frozen fudge popsicles, flavored water, lean lunchmeats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the no calories/points thing--they have calories, so might as well log them. However, the calories in many veggies is so low you could easily munch on them all day and not go over, or not go over by much.