Calling all bike riders!

Options
What are your tips and tricks to riding in cold, wet weather?

It was rainy and cold here today - mid 30s and plenty of puddles and water on the roads. I wore my rain-resistant jacket over an UnderArmour tank top so I didn't get too sweaty, and wore my UnderArmour cold gear bottoms. Needless to say, my BODY stayed warm enough. But my FEET! They got absolutely drenched and by the time I got home, I could barely walk.

I actually thought about doing 20 miles despite the cold/wet, but realized 5 miles out, there was NO way my feet and fingers were going to survive that.

I don't want to give up riding bike over the winter if I can help it. While I do have a treadmill for running, it's harder on my knees and I would much rather bike.

Anybody else who rides year round and knows all the tricks to staying dry and warm? Any shoe options that are reasonably priced?

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Neoprene cycling shoe covers cost ~$50 for a pair...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I only ride April to November (bikeshare program months) so I can't really help you. But I know lots of winter cyclists here in Montreal. The key is to gear up properly.

This might help: http://www.mec.ca/AST/contentprimary/learn/cycling/introtocycling/wintercycling.jsp
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I bought a stationery stand for my bike. I have it hooked up now and will use it throughout the inclement weather we experience in Montana. It has resistance settings and I can use the gears on my bike to change the resistance as well. I go mountain biking through my living room!! Turn on the TV and bike!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    mirch16 - Awesome, I'll have to get a pair!
    segacs - Thank you for the link, I'm going to check that out!
    chickaboo - a good friend of my dad's has one also I believe. It's an excellent idea, but fortunately our winters in PA aren't nearly as bad as yours! Typically at least haha. My favorite part about riding bike is the doing it outside, which is another reason I prefer it to running on the treadmill. I'm more of an outdoorsy person, so biking in the house would really bum me out. But thank you for the reply :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have big hands...would they come out quickly like if I was hit my a car?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    agree with the shoe covers recommendation, or better yet, waterproof/winter shoes (though obviously this is a more expensive route.

Are you riding clipless, or in regular athletic sneakers? It may make a difference with the shoe covers fitting.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Interesting concept with the barmitts. I move my hands so much though, I don't know if they'd be practical for me.

I was trying to google bicycling winter sneakers, and didn't see anything under $150/200. I just use my regular running sneakers, no clips. I'd definitely kill myself with those lol. I wonder if leather sneakers would work...I could waterproof them, although they would still have areas for water to get in. Hmmm.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Holie Schmolie! You do need help. I don't know where you are riding that you can get away with under armor and sneakers but that would not cut it here in jersey with a bike club. Most bike club members have winter cycling tights or bib tights. Winter bibs are thick and cover the chest which protects it against the cold. A long sleve winter cycling jersey goes over the bibs. Some jerseys are lined with what they call a fleece. Then there is a jacket. The jersey and jacket should cover the neck. Then there is a hat that can cover ears worn under the helmet. Some cyclists prefer cloves and some wear mittens for the hands. Cycling shoes are without a doubt needed. The tops probably offer better wet protection then sneakers. You can get away with wearing athletic socks. If you are cycling under 20 degrees you might want to go with booties. There are online sources to buy theses clothes at a reasonable price.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of gore tex socks that I can wear under regular cycle shoes.

Full finger gloves that fit under cycle mitts.

Skull cap under the helmet, all make a huge difference.

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    backin3 wrote: »

It was rainy and cold here today - mid 30s and plenty of puddles and water on the roads. I wore my rain-resistant jacket over an UnderArmour tank top so I didn't get too sweaty, and wore my UnderArmour cold gear bottoms. Needless to say, my BODY stayed warm enough. But my FEET! They got absolutely drenched and by the time I got home, I could barely walk.

I actually thought about doing 20 miles despite the cold/wet, but realized 5 miles out, there was NO way my feet and fingers were going to survive that.

I don't want to give up riding bike over the winter if I can help it. While I do have a treadmill for running, it's harder on my knees and I would much rather bike.

Anybody else who rides year round and knows all the tricks to staying dry and warm? Any shoe options that are reasonably priced?

As mentioned above, there is plenty of cold weather (and wet weather) cycling gear available for purchase to keep you riding outside during the winter months. How much you want to invest depends on your budget. The investment usually lasts several seasons, so spread out over time the cost is not that bad to get the gear you need.

Plenty of winter/wet cycling boots are available, but since you don't use clipless pedals - just a good waterproof winter boot to keep your feet dry and roasty toasty.

Layered clothing is the ticket. Read the guide here...

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/buyers-guide-to-winter-layers-51/

I usually like to start the ride out just a bit chilly because I know I'll warm up during the ride. So I try not to overdress. I went out for a 90 minute ride yesterday with the temperatures in the teens and high winds. I was warm and enjoyed the ride because all me gear was doing what it was designed to do.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Just want to put this out there--if you are die-hard enough to consider cycling in the arctic cold, it's probably time to invest in some clipless pedals and cycling shoes! New pedals and shoes may be slightly expensive, but what you gain in efficiency is priceless! Getting stuck in them was always my biggest fear, too, but my husband talked me out of that and I've been riding clipless for 10+ years now and I've never fallen over because I couldn't get out of my pedals fast enough (my husband, on the other hand ;) ) Many spinning bikes at the gyms actually have pedals that are clipless on one side so you could always test them out in a 'safe' environment when you can't dump the bike. I have Sidi shoes, which are definitely an investment, but they also last a lot longer than running shoes since the soles are stiff and you don't really walk in them. Mine have lasted 5+ years with a decent amount of mileage on them!
  • mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Just want to put this out there--if you are die-hard enough to consider cycling in the arctic cold, it's probably time to invest in some clipless pedals and cycling shoes! New pedals and shoes may be slightly expensive, but what you gain in efficiency is priceless! Getting stuck in them was always my biggest fear, too, but my husband talked me out of that and I've been riding clipless for 10+ years now and I've never fallen over because I couldn't get out of my pedals fast enough (my husband, on the other hand ;) ) Many spinning bikes at the gyms actually have pedals that are clipless on one side so you could always test them out in a 'safe' environment when you can't dump the bike. I have Sidi shoes, which are definitely an investment, but they also last a lot longer than running shoes since the soles are stiff and you don't really walk in them. Mine have lasted 5+ years with a decent amount of mileage on them!

mitch16 with all the good advice! I agree with everything she has said, especially the shoe covers. I have mountain bike style clipless shoes and the neoprene covers save my feet on colder days, plus save you on the puddles and wet roads as well. A good clipless pedal with a big pad is great so you can ride in normal shoes as well if you want.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting concept with the barmitts. I move my hands so much though, I don't know if they'd be practical for me.

I was trying to google bicycling winter sneakers, and didn't see anything under $150/200. I just use my regular running sneakers, no clips. I'd definitely kill myself with those lol. I wonder if leather sneakers would work...I could waterproof them, although they would still have areas for water to get in. Hmmm.

Gloves are easy... IME, windproof is more important than water proof, but there are tons of options out there. I have craft gloves with windstopper fabric for really cold days and they've been great.

Ah, if you're in regular shoes then your only real option will be some kind of winterproof/weatherproof/waterproof hiking shoe. You're talking about riding in some legitimately bad weather... you'll need gear meant for those conditions.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    1. proper clipless pedals - normal pedals and straps constrict the bloodflow and your toes freeze, and sans straps they're a waste of time.

2. winter riding shoes/boots - get them a half size larger than summer, so you can wear thicker socks and still have some "wiggle room" in there - again its about keeping circulation going. Northwave do some good ones that are reasonably water-resistant and warm - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-fahrenheit-gtx-boots-2015/rp-prod57566 or even the arctic version if you run cold - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-celsius-arctic-gtx-boots-2015/rp-prod57565

3. good quality merino socks

4. neoprene overboots if all else fails.

5. when you feel your toes are getting a little cold, get off the bike and walk for a few yards, just to get the toes bending a little - did I mention it's all about keeping the circulation going.

6. keep the rest of your extremeties warm too - definitely a warm windstopper beanie under the helmet, better still, get a helmet that either has closeable vents - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-infinity-aero-road-helmet/ or even one that has a clip on shell that closes the vents - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/catlike-mixino-road-helmet-2014/ and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/catlike-mixino-aero-shell-cover/ - gloves are a tough one, you need to be able to keep a certain amount of dexterity to change gear/brake, but still keep warm/dry... We don't often get extremes of cold in the UK, mostly 1-2°C and wet, where I find Neoprene gloves are pretty good (at the price of making your hands smell like something long dead when you remove the glove) but for something colder i'd recommend something like the "split mitten" type of glove - such as this - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-handle-bar-mitten/

7. as for the rest of the cycling gear, well, there's no real substitute for the good quality kit to be honest - Sportful's Fiandre "no rain" kit's pretty decent - I have a personal preference for Castelli - their Sorpasso Bibs are fantastic, as are their Nanoflex bibs, which are marginally less warm than the Sorpasso, BUT are highly water resistant. The Espresso 2 or 3 Jackets are great warm windproof items, but the ultimate winter jacket for me is their Gabba - I've actually got the short-sleeved one at the moment, but I'm seriously considering treating myself to the Gabba2 Convertible as my "christmas pressie to self" - fantastic bit of kit - the SS version is far and away the BEST piece of cycling kit i've ever bought.

Note - most cycling clothing is not really designed to keep you 100% dry - its designed to keep you warm enough not to notice you're a little damp, and stop you getting frozen by the windchill...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I have big hands...would they come out quickly like if I was hit my a car?

Probably. They come in different sizes. My husband wears gloves and the barmitts.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Avoid the bears.

• rafikiphoto
    rafikiphoto Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Look at the big online cycling gear stores and just browse winter/wet weather clothing. Choose the stuff that covers your particular needs. Over the years I have built up an odd collection of stuff but it all has a purpose and does its job. I'd get laughed out of many cycling clubs for my appearance but, hey, I'm 70 years old this month and some of my stuff is 20 years old! Not the trendiest I'm sure but neither am I these days ;)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here: http://www.icebike.org.

My top tip: get fenders (aka mudguards) for your bike. They keep cold water off you. Just as importantly, they keep a lot of road salt and sand from getting onto your frame and into your drivetrain (bottom bracket, cranks and chainrings, chain, cassette, and derailleurs), which will make your bike last a lot longer.