Has anyone done the master cleanse?

Options
jkleman79
jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
Has anyone heard of this or tried it...just curious! =0)

Lemon cayenne pepper diet or master cleanse diet is a cleansing program that removes harmful toxins from the body and aids in losing weight. It was produced by Stanley Burroughs in 1941, and later became popular through Peter Glickman's book Lose Weight, Have More Energy and Be Happier in 10 Days, that promoted Burroughs' diet plan to the modern audience. The cayenne pepper lemon detox diet mainly comprises of fresh water, pure lemon juice, cayenne pepper and natural maple syrup. The medicinal value of the detox diet mainly comes from a chemical called capsaicin. This ingredient not only gives heat to the cayenne peppers but also minimizes the platelet sickness and relieves pain. The detox diet is rich in vitamin E, vitamin C, and carotenoids that help in improving your overall health. Before going into details of other health benefits of the lemon cayenne pepper detox diet, lets see how to make lemon cayenne pepper detox drink.

* 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon (don't use concentrates and drink mixes as they contain preservatives)
* 2 tbsp organic or natural maple syrup
* 1/10 tsp cayenne pepper, as per taste
* 8 oz. fresh water

Mix the above mentioned ingredients and enjoy either hot or cold.

Health Benefits of Lemon Cayenne Pepper Diet
Due to excessive intake of processed and junk food, very little nutrients enter into our bodies. Hence, our bodies have to really work hard to get rid of these low nutritional valued food. Also, ingestion of numerous chemicals and toxins in the body while breathing are deleterious and keep getting built up over the years. Therefore, the detox diet not only gives us a break from the solid food intake but also cleanse our bodies naturally.

* Lemon cayenne pepper diet increases the body's metabolic rate and improves the flow of stomach secretion that helps to sooth the digestive tract. Cayenne Pepper also helps in treating weak digestion, ulcers, and some digestive ailments like dyspepsia.
* Along with removing toxins from the body, it reduces the cravings for drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and junk food. Coffee, tea, colas, and other beverages lose their appeal in front of the marvels of this lemonade diet.
* Regular intake of the detox drink boosts your energy levels, helps you to lose up to 20 pounds in a short period of time, make you look younger and gives freshness like never before.
* The acid in the lemons and the cayenne peppers treat different health related problems like poor circulation, heart disease, sore throat, etc. In fact, one of the health benefit of cayenne pepper is that it is considered as first aid relief for people suffering from a heart attack.
* It also helps in relieving pain like chronic pain, and tooth and head aches.

Following the lemon cayenne pepper diet is a challenge though, as it is difficult to give up the comfort of food and the caffeine in beverages like tea and coffee. But due to the different health benefits associated with it, it is worth getting through this rough part. It is recommended to drink nearly 6-8 glasses of this detox drink per day during the diet. For better results, diet for 7-10 days. You can also extend this diet to 14 to 16 days. The maximum recommended extension is 40 days. However, always consult your dietitian or a health practitioner before, and also during the detox diet. This diet will not only help you cleanse your system, but will also enable you to lose weight and leave you feeling fit.

Replies

• EllieHall
    EllieHall Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What else do you eat during the detox?
  • purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    its rubbish you lose weight & put it back on when you have solids. Weight loss is a journey no quick fixes
  • jkleman79
    Options

Nothing... Just the solution. That is what weirds me out a bit..
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do a cleanse or fasting or anything like that. If you drink at least 8 glasses of water and eat healthy foods (fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, lean meats, low fat dairy, no processed foods, no refined sugar, as much organic as possible) your body will cleanse itself. Your liver and kidneys naturally remove toxins from your system, you don't need to do anything special in order for it to happen.
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    mm yum. Dink up :drinker: :drinker:
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options

nothing thats the whole point of it....I I Think?

Its real dangerous though :S wouldn't recommend it...I think thats the one thats also called the 'maple syrup' diet but that could be a whole different kettle of fish
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Is this the ony thing that you ingest during the entire 2 weeks? I don't see where that would be very healthy.
  • jkleman79
    Options
    its rubbish you lose weight & put it back on when you have solids. Weight loss is a journey no quick fixes

I totally agree...I heard about this and it kinda weirded me out a bit...
  • jkleman79
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Is this the ony thing that you ingest during the entire 2 weeks? I don't see where that would be very healthy.

They claim since it came out back in 1941 already that you can survive on just this from 9-44 days with not eating or drinking anything else....WTF! Ok sorry this just is wrong...I think. Had to post to get peoples views on this or if anyone has actually tried it.
  • m75208
    m75208 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done the Master Cleanse several times - but always when I was sick and could not shake an upper respritory infection. The first day is the worst - you want to eat, but not necessarily because you are hungry. But by the second day, your body adjusts and you aren't hungry. I've never done it to lose weight and honestly didn't lose much. I turn to it when my body needs to heal. the longest I've gone is 5 days and then you have to come off about as long so you don't shock your system. It's actually pretty easy but I only do it when I am so sick that I will try anything to get better.
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not the best plan. I've done it. It's basically one big laxative plan. Sorry to be graphic. It knocks some weight off because it's cleaning out the waste from your body, eventually it all comes back. No point. If you want to do a cleanse they have some kits with pills you can take in addition to your healthy diet. Those work a lot better. Cleanses can be a good thing to support your liver or colon health, but the master plan takes away the benefits.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/

I feel like I post this link on a weekly basis :). The human body has the organs it needs to remove toxins from your system. A healthy diet and enough water keep those organs functioning well. Anything that they can't remove from your system cannot be removed by lemon juice and salt water.

In addition, the master cleanse can kill off the good bacteria in your intestines which can actually make you pretty sick.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I also take my nutritional and medicinal advice from the 1940's.
  • chilipeppers
    chilipeppers Posts: 119
    Options
    I did the master cleanse a few months ago for 6 days. It was a pretty interesting experience. It's unfortunate that people can only look at the "weight loss" benefits and not the overall health benefits of a cleanse like this.

It was hard, but I feel really awesome now that I've cleansed my body of toxins, this might be TMI, but part of the reason I wanted to do the cleanse was because I felt gross/bloated and my poops were irregular and I was constipated a lot (and I swear, I was eating plenty of fiber!). Post cleanse I've felt much cleaner, I am more aware of my hunger and my body's responses to foods etc and my BMs are like clockwork.

Not to meantion I lost 7 pounds (gained a few of those back, but that's to be expected).

Either way, I suppose it's not for everyone, but honestly, I would recommend it to those who would like a "clean start". It also helps to restore your PH balance to a more alkaline level (acidic PH levels in the body is known to be an environment in which diseases such as cancer thrive).
  • pippenfairy
    pippenfairy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 of the master cleanse. It is important to remember that the cleanse is not just for weight loss. That is just a nice side effect. The cleanse is like pushing the reset button. I can already tell that I'm not craving high sugared high carb foods. I've decide to try to eat raw as much as possible after my ten days are up and make completely different decisions that I have made in the past. It is also important to come off the fast really slow.For the first four days after the cleanse you only drink fresh juice and maybe veg. broth with small amounts of solids. People jump into solids too fast after the cleanse and gain all their weight back.
    I hope this helps.