How do you find the motivation to work out?

Options
I feel like everytime I do anything that raises my heartrate such as running I get lightheaded, cloudy vision, and an awful headache for the rest of the day, along with insane tiredness. I am not dehydrated either...Right now I am walking and biking which does not bother me, but I need motivation or more exersizes.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yoga is always a favourite of mine :smile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you're getting those symptoms, you may have low blood sugar. I'm a type 2 diabetic, and those sound similar to hypoglycemia. I'd get that checked if it's a continual problem.
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    I would stick with what you are doing till your body adjusts to exercising then slowly add other workouts. I know it was tough on me when I first started. I just stuck with what I could do and lil by lil I would add a different workout. I feel alot better after a workout than I did at the start!!! Good luck!!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    sounds like something you may want to mention to the doctor----
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Motivation doens't seem to be your problem. Getting dizzy and lightheaded is. Find out why that is happening and you might be able to stop it. Are you eating enough? Try eating something right before you exercise. Check with your doctor (I'm not one!). If it can't be explained, stick with exercises that don't bother you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

When I don't eat enough and try to do cardio this is exactly how I feel during and after I've worked out.

Make sure you're eating enough -- cardio is tough on your body and you HAVE to fuel it.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    LOL How do I find the motivation to work out? I look in the mirror. :( If you had a body like mine, that'd motivate you plenty!

Seriously though, when you say the walking/biking doesn't bother you, do you enjoy either of them? Before I started doing the Chalean Extreme dvds at home, the only exercise I had any motivation to do was ride my bike....and I mean RIDE it, not just piddle around the neighborhood for a couple of blocks. My last ride was Saturday with my team, and we went for 42 miles. I absolutely LOVE to ride bikes, so it's never hard to suit up and get out there.

I think what you need to do is find a routine that you truly love. If you like riding your bike, ride it some more. Get more involved in the cycling community, join a local cycling club (I'm assuming you have a road bike, not a beach cruiser or mountain bike, which may be an inaccurate assumption).

Have you tried swimming? That can be awesome, and if you can join a club with an indoor pool, you can keep it up all winter long as well. Lots of clubs do water fitness routines that many people find enjoyable.

How about tennis? Landscaping? Heh, if you like doing yard work, you could pick up a part time job doing little landscape jobs for little old ladies who need the help with their yards or something. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your body is trying to tell you something.

You are not a born runner.

I would try something different. Take a class at a local community center or YMCA (the Y adjusts rates based on your income--very affordable and they have great classes). You can also sign up for Groupon or a similar service and often they have coupons for exercise classes.

Your body will thank you if you try something new with a great teacher. Power yoga or Zumba would be my suggestions. Just don't do the hot yoga--I don't think that would be a good fit for you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Exact same thing happens to me. I get a terrible migraine during and after, dizzy, blurred vision and numb fingers. I just had my blood checked 3 weeks ago and my sugars were normal. Dr did tell me that my blood pressure was high so I think that is what is bothering me. Planning on bringing it up at th next appt.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Exercise should definitely not do that to you, it should leave you feeling great and full of energy!

Once the doc sorts out whatever it is that's causing it, you may find it a lot easier to motivate yourself. :)
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. Yes, it is an intense workout, but it's also short...only 26 minutes including warm-up and cool down. I think one of the main reasons I like doing it is that I actually feel like I've accomplished something at the end.

With regards to finding the motivation to workout...it's definitely hard at first. If you have someone who can help hold you accountable it's much easier. For example, the first week that I wanted to work out in the morning before work I asked my husband to make sure that I was up and out of bed before he left for work. After a couple of weeks it gets much easier to do it on mine own. Of course I still have stubborn mornings, but I know I just have to stick with it. I'm actually getting to the point where I like working out...or at least how i feel afterwards.

It sounds like your're getting some cardio through biking and running...you could try adding some strength training and calisthenics.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I feel like everytime I do anything that raises my heartrate such as running I get lightheaded, cloudy vision, and an awful headache for the rest of the day, along with insane tiredness. I am not dehydrated either...Right now I am walking and biking which does not bother me, but I need motivation or more exersizes.

Any suggestions?

If you don't want to buy another workout DVD check out these sites. Hope you will like some of them and keep up with exercises :)
    http://www.bodyrock.tv/
    http://www.walkathome.com/try-walk-at-home/
    http://www.hipofizis.hu/torna26.php
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkT2Fdk-Wjg&feature=related
    http://www.diet.com/videos/category/fitness-workouts

Enjoy it!
  • joyfoolous
    joyfoolous Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really am eating enough, and I went to the doctor before and he did some tests on my head, but thats about it....I should go to a different one because Diabetes runs in the famly...but yoga does sound good, I took some when I was closer to the air base gym...maybe my body does need to get used to it again...though I do remember this problem at kung fu and I did that for four years...

thoguh yeah, this is pretty much the reason I am unmotivated....::/

Thamk you everyone who posted so far!!!

:D
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It could just be that raising your heart rate so much throws your blood pressure way off and it can't recover like it should. If walking works, do that - just increase your time or speed. You can still be successful at weight loss. Just alter it to accommodate your body.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I had the EXACT problem!!! I found out that I was eating way too many carbs (for me) and not enough fat and protein so my blood sugar was dropping way too quickly. I was even eating LESS carbs than MFP told me, and I was still having the problem. I was eating the good carbs (fruit, veggies, whole grains, brown rice). Since I went higher fat/protein, I no longer feel this way. In fact, I actually have WAY more energy. Even sometime I just feel like sprinting. My new ratio is 60% fat, 25% protein, and 15% carbs. If you have questions, message me.