How much do you spend on groceries monthly?

Replies

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Spend about $ 500.00 a month buying healthy stuff plus eating out
  • Silverdracos
    Silverdracos Posts: 110 Member
    $300-400 on all food for a family of 4. We live in California's central valley.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    about $120 a month, buffalo NY, just me (poor college kid ha) lots of oats, rice, beans, bananas, and potatoes!

Not a poor college kid, but poor still. Eats similarly. Plus bagels.
  • IronBelote
    IronBelote Posts: 14 Member
    $540 for a family of 2 adults and 3 toddlers. We are on a very strict budget, but I make it work and hit all of my nutritional goals constantly. It can be done, you just have to be smart about it. if money is not an issue, then enjoy scallops and crab everynight and let me sip my haterade hehe
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    we spent about $360/month for a family of 5 in the past year (yes, I track it and I added up what I spent and divided by 11)

we spent about $190/month on eating out, which for a family of 5 is good in my opinion!

my husband travels for quite a bit so that reduces the food budget. I have 3 young kids, but they eat a surprising amount of food for their size so I don't discount them - esp. the 2 year old, still can't fathom where she puts all that food :)

I cook from scratch quite a bit and make homemade bread for the husband and kids (I'm not much of a bread eater). I have a deep freezer in the garage so I can stock up when I find a good deal. We grow a decent size garden in the spring/summer. I also coupon to keep costs down. Oh my food budget includes toiletries, baby food (when I was buying it earlier this year for the sitter), and cleaning/paper products.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    I spend about $120 every other week for my husband and I. I try to stick to my budget and don't buy anything in between unless we run out of something that we really need.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    $600 for my husband and me in NYC!
  • gossett331
    gossett331 Posts: 88 Member
    I feed three adults and two kids on 511 dollars a month. If you can shop month to month it really is cheaper than buying day to day or week to week. I also buy a lot of the meat whole and cut it myself.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    $1500-$2000 a month.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    $500/month for my husband and me.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    If you can get in to Boston and hit Quincy's market about an hour prior to closing you can usually get produce very cheap; otherwise they toss it. Then again, is Quincy's market still there?

Yes, it is. I buy all my produce there. Even the fish is great. i walk away with TONS of food for about 40 bucks a week.

OP, it's right off the Orange line, Haymarket Stop...it's worth checking out!

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Honestly, I have no idea. Probably in the $500-$1,000 range for three people.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    $600/month for two adults and 3 teenage kids who eat like adults. We eat pretty healthy too. Not too many snacky foods.
  • thenk83
    thenk83 Posts: 22 Member
    2 of us. $550-650. That amount includes toiletries, household items, and eating out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    $500/month for my husband and me.

Same here. Back when I had a tighter budget, I skipped a lot of the little luxuries and impulse buys and it was around $350 a month, but I was still able to buy good quality food. I cook from scratch at home, so not a lot of eating out.
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    two adults, one teenage son (17) and two cats, right around $400 a month, including all paper items/toiletries, etc. I buy what is in season and cook once for multiple days. I take my lunch to school and limit 'junk'. Make the teenager buy his own sodas and poptarts, etc. Oh, I'm in Atlanta.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    edited December 2014
    I live in a major metropolitan area. $400 per month for my fiance and me, and that includes groceries, meals out (usually once a week), as well as personal health and beauty products.

We don't eat animal products, and I pack my lunch every day - both the most important ways to keep our budget down!
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    40 minutes south of Boston here our budget is $400 - $500 per month for five people. We buy mostly fresh in season fruits and vegetable. Whole cuts of lean meats... We eat pretty healthy but we have to work for it. North of Boston you are lucky you have Market Basket... We should have one end of the the year! Trader Joes is a great place also for some items
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    I spend about $55 weekly... so just over $200 a month to feed myself.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    $350 a month for food & toiletries + $40 a month for eating out. That's for 2 adults & 2 kids in a suburb of a major metropolitan area.
    I aim for $0.50 per person for breakfast and lunch and $1 per person for dinner.

A couple things that make a huge difference:
    1) we have no allergies or special food needs
    2) I save a lot on toiletries using coupons
    3) sometimes we get venison from my Father-in-law
    4) I jam, can, freeze, juice, and dehydrate as much in season fruit as I can
    5) I have access to free apples, concord grapes, plums, pears, and blackberries
    6) I am a stay at home mom, I use my time to meal plan and cook from scratch which saves a lot of money.