crockpot/one pot or easy recipes please!

Options
TrishaLeighNelson
TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
edited December 2014 in Recipes
I've been struggling eating healthy and have been doing fast food way to often. I really want to lose this weight and healthy easy recipes would help so much! Even if you have an easy recipe that isn't onepot or crock pot it would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• lyndioakley
    lyndioakley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I put my chicken breasts in the crock pot. Sometimes I put a tbsp. of Honey BBQ Sauce, or sometimes Light Italian Dressing on it. That with some steamed veggies is a great meal!
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Homemade sweet potato fries are really great! I take a sweet potato and cut them to my desired width and length. I weigh out 100 grams (Which is about 86 calories according to the research I did) and add about half a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. I usually add garlic salt and onion salt, then throw them in the oven at about 400 until they're cooked. I dip them in half a serving of roasted garlic mayo. YUM!!
  • 1reneeski
    1reneeski Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Crockpot chicken with cream of mushroom soup. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs. (thighs are my favorite), cut up celery, carrots, and onions in big bite size chunks. Add pepper and garlic salt (optional), then pour a big can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup over it. Cook on high 4 or 5 hours. Steam some brown rice and this super healthy and delicious!
  • tmyslas32
    tmyslas32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get 99% extra lean ground turkey, mix with one egg, some spices (pepper, fennel, light salt or salt alternative, italian seasoning, a little chicken broth for moisture, etc.)...roll into meatballs and bake at 400 until 165 internal temp (about 15-20) min. Make with homemade spaghetti sauce (can of stewed or crushed tomatoes, cayenne or red pepper flakes, sweetner (low cal), salt, pepper, garlic powder) and simmer for 15 min...delicious on top of meatballs and super low calorie, high protein...doesn't take long and you can adjust the spices to your liking!
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    One pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs (or you could use breast), one cup of salsa, and 3/4 tsp ground cumin. Put it all in the crockpot and cook it on low for 4-6 hours. Then shred the chicken with two forks and mix it around. You can put it on a salad with corn/black beans/mexican cheese, make tacos (3 hard taco shells are only 150cal), or make a naked burrito by pairing it over rice with beans, cheese, corn, etc.

• tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    This was from another member here at MFP, but I cannot recall who, to give proper credit:

In a crockpot add whole chicken, then on top of the chicken add aluminum foil wrapped potatoes. Cover and cook all day. The chicken can be frozen, and will release some juices that you can use to make a grazy out of if you wish, or just drizzle over the potatoes.

Super easy and cheap. #failproof too!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do the crockpot chicken with a can of creamy soup, some chicken broth, garlic and ranch dressing mix. BUT I let it cook for a real long time, like 8-9 hours, so it falls apart, then take the chicken out with a slotted spoon and use it all week for salads.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    hncary wrote: »
    One pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs (or you could use breast), one cup of salsa, and 3/4 tsp ground cumin. Put it all in the crockpot and cook it on low for 4-6 hours. Then shred the chicken with two forks and mix it around. You can put it on a salad with corn/black beans/mexican cheese, make tacos (3 hard taco shells are only 150cal), or make a naked burrito by pairing it over rice with beans, cheese, corn, etc.

Sounds good? When you say i pack of chicken, how much chicken are we talking about? 3-4 breasts?
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I never put chicken in the crockpot unless i have pan seared the outside first. If I do not pan sear first, my chicken either comes out way dry - or turns into shredded chicken. Do other people have this problem or is it just me?
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I never put chicken in the crockpot unless i have pan seared the outside first. If I do not pan sear first, my chicken either comes out way dry - or turns into shredded chicken. Do other people have this problem or is it just me?

That used to happen to me until I started to use frozen chicken and cooked it on high. 2-3 breasts would be done in about 2 hours and falls apart. Frozen chicken will have more moisture so while it's cooking it keeps more the chicken more moist. Season as you desire :smile:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I can't stand white meat so I only use thighs - they never get dry on me :)

• Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do a whole chicken in the crock pot-- just put salt/pepper/paprika, whatever seasonings you like, and stick it in and THAT IS LITERALLY IT. It releases its own juices and by the time you're ready to eat it, it's practically falling off the bone. I literally have to use two giant serving spoons to get it out because if you just try to garb it, the various bones pull apart!

Save the juices (chicken stock) in a jar and stick it in your fridge for the next day, then use any leftover chicken + the juices and some vegetables or noodles for the BEST homemade chicken noodle soup you will ever have.

I love it because it's two dinners from one chicken, and almost zero work.
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OH, and another good one is a beef roast + a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (the can is like a buck in the Mexican food section at any grocery store). Blend the chiles in a processor if you have one, and pour it over the roast to let it cook. Then you just shred the beef after it's done and make spicy street tacos or a fab taco salad.
  • dkeener_81
    dkeener_81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    OH, and another good one is a beef roast + a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (the can is like a buck in the Mexican food section at any grocery store). Blend the chiles in a processor if you have one, and pour it over the roast to let it cook. Then you just shred the beef after it's done and make spicy street tacos or a fab taco salad.

So you know an alternative to the spiciness for the seasoning?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The family likes this one:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lauras-quick-slow-cooker-turkey-chili/detail.aspx
    I add pinto beans, black eyed peas too. I would change out the tomato soup for a can of cubed, stewed tomatoes.