Obsessed with the scale

Options
I have become obsessed with the scale. I weigh myself around 5 times a day. I feel like this is getting to be an unhealthy habit.. what should I do?

Replies

• audreyyrose
    audreyyrose Posts: 85
    Options
    get rid of it. for a month, don't weigh yourself. it'll help tons, promise.
  • ngr1973
    ngr1973 Posts: 334
    Options
    I know this sounds simple but just stop. Put your scale away so you have to take it out to use it. I was obsessed too ... I'd weigh myself before lunch after ,etc... it was crazy. I worked myself into the habit of just once a day in the morning... that is the best I can do...
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options

This.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If I let myself weigh every time I felt like it, I'd probably be weighing more than that. Just know that your body fluctuates for a million different reasons throughout the day and that the only idea you're going to get a real feel of your weight loss is if you pick a specific time and only count that weight. The best idea is to pick one day a week and weigh first thing in the morning (completely naked! ^.^) If you know that you can't hold out that long, at least pick one time of day to weigh everyday because all those other weights aren't really telling you anything.

One thing you could do is actually put the scale away, out of sight somewhere so you're not seeing it every time you walk into the bathroom. At least you'd have to go to the trouble to get it out every time you want to weigh.

Good luck!
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I'm obsessed too! I asked my bf to hide it from me!!!
  • Ljc3
    Ljc3 Posts: 46
    Options
    Same problem here. Made decision to weigh every monday and thats helped. Try every other morning!
  • MrsZMartin
    MrsZMartin Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 5 times a day sounds like it could be bigger than just weight tracking. I would suggest removing the scale....put it in a closet or somewhere where it is out of sight. Only pull it out when you need to weigh (I suggest once a week, on a predetermined day). Good luck! If it continues to be a problem, you may have to chuck it altogether, and only weigh when you go to the gym or something. Good luck!
  • laniackerman1
    Options
    As someone who has been diagnosed with OCD (about germs though) I know what it's like to obsess about things (it's under control now though)! I think it's good that you have recognised that it could be a problem! If I were you i'd ask a friend to keep hold of the scale until you feel you can ration yourself properly. Weigh yourself at the gym once a week instead? If you feel like you can't control it then ask your GP to refer you to a mental health professional who deals with OCD and perhaps psycho-therapy. Good Luck. X o x o
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    I am the same way. Every time I go near it, I have to get on and weigh myself. I have just tried to stop going near it and I don't think I stepped on it at all yesterday. Also, I have only 'Weighed in' on here once a week. It helps A LOT when you think you're not losing any weight like I was. I did my 2nd weigh in today, and lost 4.6 pounds this past week, But I didn't think I was losing any at all from weighing myself everyday.
  • joyfoolous
    joyfoolous Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I weigh myseld whenever I go to the bathroom because there is one in each....I don't feel like I do it to see how much weight I have lost, because it isnt going to change in two hours. Weight fluctuated within two pounds a day per average, so weighing in the mornig when you first wake up is the best time if you are recording your weight. Somweties I feel like I should hide them for awhile because then I would feel more acompliseh at seeing 5 pound lighter all at once instead of .2 here and there...
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I weigh myself in the morning as soon as I wake up, usually sometime in the afternoon, and sometime at night. It's not good to do that though, so I'm probably going to start weighing myself only once a day which seems difficult to stick to.
  • EriNicole83
    EriNicole83 Posts: 17
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to remind myself I have goals I want to reach. If my weight goes up from the previous day then I need to be more disciplined that day and conscious about what I am eating and doing.
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I totally second this. It's unhealthy and puts more negative emotional stress on you than you need!
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every friday but last couple weeks been on and off the scales so much that i brought my scales up to my boyfriends house and left it there by accident. I do zumba thursday nights up near his house and stay the night as his day off is fridays.So i have had no scale this week and boy it feels good. I think i am going to leave it in his house.
  • Tvstarbabe
    Tvstarbabe Posts: 101
    Options
    Thank you guys soo much
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but only in the morning. I found I weighed less then. If you do it all day long and certain times it will be higher than other and really used to disappoint me. Your weight can fluctuate during the day so atleast once at the same time might be okay. Sometimes I do get disappointed but atleast I know I'm not going up!! Good Luck
  • giggles1234
    Options
    Im exactly the same as you im obsessed i hate it ive tried puttin it up or getting my partner to hide it but i end up hunting for it cause i need a boost but then i get let down as its always the wrong time of day, knowing im not the only one out there im gonna throw them out tomorrow ( argh i do need to do this, after ive weighed myself of course ) it will hopefully boost me for the week and as said above it will be nice to see a higher number than half pound here and half pound there fingers crossed you can get past this x the same as im gonna try
  • iamgonnagetthere
    Options
    whats weird is im not obssesed with it , the only reason i do everyday in the morning is to see how much I am losing.