Slim Fast Diet

Options
Anyone had any luck on the slim fast diet? i am trying it for a week or so to kick start my weight loss through the holidays in between "bad" days of holiday eating. Then in Jan will start weight watchers. But curious as to other's experiences with Slim Fast.

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You arent going to lose much weight in a week. Why not learn how weight loss occurs and the mechanics of eating at a deficit?
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else, you aren't going to lose just because you are drinking a shake, you have to create a deficit (which if you are replacing meals with a shake, you most likely will). You gotta do what works for you, but if you can you are better off eating balanced meals.
  • AprilJ10
    AprilJ10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to try it for the month of Dec. I have always wanted to try a juice diet, but without proper instruction I feel I wouldn't do it right. I feel like drinking 2 shakes a day and 1 sensible meal in the evening is as close as I'm going to get for now. Plus it's easy to stay on track in between holiday meals, with the 2 shakes and 1 meal.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't like slimfast shakes. I tried them as a teenager (not the diet, just the shakes) and the only way I found them palatable involved mixing with milk, ice, extra cocoa powder and a banana.

The new slimfast method isn't 2 shakes and a meal, it's 2 (200 calorie) shakes or meal bars, 3 (100 calorie) snacks and a (500 calorie) meal. It's 1200 calories a day, and probably neither the worst or best 1200 calories you could eat. Liquid calories leave your stomach really quickly, which may leave you hungry and shakes tend to be unappealing and unfulfilling in the winter.

I drink a lot of my meals for medical reasons. 2 cups of soup feels more like real food than a shake does, for the same 200 calories. So does a bowl of yogurt with your choice of toppings, or an oatmeal cup.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You will probably get tons of "learn how to eat at a deficit", but in my humble opinion, if it gets you going why not just give it a try?

At the end of the day a calorie deficit is what is needed, how you create it, is your own decision. If slim fast helps you to start your weightloss journey then it is a start.

Best of luck with it!
    Stef.
    P.S. ...my personal opinion: they are in my opinion to costly for what they do.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Track everything you eat and learn how to eat at a deficit are kind of the hallmarks of MFP, so it's not really surprising that it tends to be the majority of posters here.

I do a lot of calorie blocking. Breakfast is a block of about X calories. Lunch is a block of about Y calories. Dinner is either low/med/high, and which one determines how many calories I have left to fill in the corners of the day.

For example - I tend to have 200 calorie-ish breakfasts. Starbucks drink, grapefruit and chai, smoothie, two scrambled eggs, fried egg with bacon and toast... I have lots of options and it's easy to see if I'm in or out of range without having to track the whole day.

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    they are extremely sugary. i love how they taste but they wreaked havoc on my blood sugar levels (i'm not even diabetic) and i had constant headaches and hunger. if that wasn't bad enough - i lost one pound in two weeks after feeling like i was starving.

if you want a shake meal replacement i'd go with isagenix - low GI, low sugar, high protein.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Slimfast shakes do nothing at filling you up for the meal they are intended to replace.

I've found more success making my own protein smoothies for breakfast. The cost is way less than Slimfast and I can control what goes into them. I use Greek yogurt, Designer Whey protein powder, milk, and on occasion I will add some fruit.

And yeah, logging your food and eating at a deficit is what this site was intended for. Understanding what you're eating, how much you are eating, and learning when you are prone to over eating is very helpful information to help you make better choices.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the back of the packet and regard the amount of sugar in each serving. Its astronomical!! I tried it all, slimfast, hoodia, all the tablets potions going. The only thing that has worked for me is mfp and heavy weightlifting. But if you've already bought it, so you may as well try it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
    Move more.
    Lift weights.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I did it several times in my 20s and I do not recommend it, especially if you're active. I always gained it back. And then some.

1200 is doable for a month (I've been doing it since the end of August). Shakes and bars, in my experience, are not.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's the one and only silly, fad diet I ever tried. It didn't taste very good. I was pretty hungry. It didn't last long.

I threw the rest out.