Wide shoulder before/after pics?

Options
BluesMnM
BluesMnM Posts: 25 Member
Hello, this may seem like an absolutely ridiculous request but here it goes. Is there anyone out there that has the body type where they are broad on top in their shoulders and back but have absolutely NO hips or butt? That's MY body type and I HATE it. I have 52 pounds to lose and I'm hoping to find someone out there that has my body type and have before and after pics to share to help motivate me. I am hoping that with this journey, my body type may somehow change and I just may look like I have a rear end rather than an NFL player :) Please feel free to add me if you're in my shoes or have pics to show. I have looked at several before/after pics, but none with MY body type.. I can't possibly be the only one with this pathetic shape can I?
Best of luck to you ALL...
Maribel

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have that type of body, plus huge calves and biggish thighs without actual hips if that is possible, so it is even worse. But no requested pictures because I think I have the same shape regardless of gaining or losing weight. The only difference is whether I am all around bigger or smaller. I think some of it is bone structure and some of it is just where your body likes to store fat/ build muscle. Not really something you can control. Some pretty skinny celebrities wide shoulders and small bottoms (Kaley Cuoco, Hayden Panettiere) so I don't think it is something you change change just by losing fat. You won't look like a linebacker when you are smaller but you won't necessarily change your shape...

If it really bothers you that much, you can try doing some lower body exercises like squats with heavy weights to try to develop your lower body muscles more. But I think you will be limited to a certain extent to your genetics. Maybe focus more on being healthy and loving yourself as you are. It's great to have goals and want to be healthy but I think at some point, we also have to learn the grace to accept ourselves. While it may be nice to look like an hourglass and I would totally sign up for it if it can be given away, I wouldn't spend too much time obsessing with it. There are more worthwhile things to focus on.
  • BluesMnM
    BluesMnM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.. Funny you said that about the calves, mine are HUGE too. Guys at the Y tell me I have nice muscular calves, I guess it's all the softball I played in my younger years, but I hate them too. Maybe that is what I can do is look up thinner celebs like you mentioned to see that I won't look like the NFL linebacker I think I look like LOL... Thank you so much again for your motivation.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options

Calves are mostly genes I think. I know a lot of guys that work on it and get no where. I choose to love my body for the functional things it does for me. If there are parts of me that are not ideal supermodel proportions, I just accept it as supermodeling is not my job.

Judging by your profile picture, you don't look like a NFL linebacker. Maybe if you gained 100lbs first... I'm sure you look good now and you will look even greater at your goal :)
  • flowerhouse
    flowerhouse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi BluesMnN don't know if you are describing you or me?
    I have wide shoulders (always have) and narrow hips. Have been a regular since Jan 14 and have lost 18Kg (39.5lbs), sorry to pictures to confirm as i am a bit camera shy. On the upside, have you thought of weight training or strength training, apparently this is the perfect build for this as if your shoulders are wider then your hips then you tend to naturally be a bit stronger (or so a Personal trainer at the gym told me). I have sent you a friend request, feel free to add me
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am similar...I have average shoulders but a huge bust, I have most of my weight in my stomach and bust, and then NOTHIN in the hips/butt department. When I was very heavy I used to say I was an apple on a stick. I HATE IT. I will never have an hourglass, but I hope that the more weight I lose, I will look more proportionate. It has gotten a little better, but I still go on ebay and look at butt pads. IT seems like the fad is a big butt and thighs and no maam I do not have that! Also makes jeans fitting miserable. I simply have nothing to fill them out. On the plus side, my legs are very shapely, nice muscly calves, but anything above, NOPE.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    i have wide shoulders relative to my hips and height.
    It would be useful if you would post your stats and a picture of yourself so people know what you are looking for.

Cheers, h.
    (I don't have a current pic or know how to post one yet so it would be a lot of work to post a pic if I was the wrong body shape)
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have always had to buy larger shirts to fit my shoulders. It is almost impossible to find clothes that are flattering to my upper body. I am now about 5 pounds from having a BMI at the high end of a healthy range for the first time in my life. I have actually gotten a couple compliments on my build and broad shoulders at the gym now that I am becoming more fit. I have been doing a lot of strength training and I feel like it is really helping me to appreciate my build more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I am similar...I have average shoulders but a huge bust, I have most of my weight in my stomach and bust, and then NOTHIN in the hips/butt department. When I was very heavy I used to say I was an apple on a stick. I HATE IT. I will never have an hourglass, but I hope that the more weight I lose, I will look more proportionate. It has gotten a little better, but I still go on ebay and look at butt pads. IT seems like the fad is a big butt and thighs and no maam I do not have that! Also makes jeans fitting miserable. I simply have nothing to fill them out. On the plus side, my legs are very shapely, nice muscly calves, but anything above, NOPE.

Instead of buying pads you could do strength training and build a nice firm butt. Could definitely help you create a more hour glass shape. Squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts, lunges, split squats.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    That is my EXACT body type!
    I have broad shoulders ans arms like a sumo wrestler, but from the waist down I am three sizes smaller. Seriously 3 sizes smaller on the bottom with absolutely NO butt!
    We all have different body types, so I just make the best of what God gave me. Nobodies perfect and I am just thankful now to be down to a normal weight for the first time in nearly 20 years.
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    You could try bringing up your lower body to make it more proportional to upper body by building up your legs & glutes. Barbell hip thrusts will help build glutes
  • Kimsobczak1982
    Options
    Btw I love broad big shoulders on a woman. So what you hate about your body is something that I find beautiful. Learn to accept that about your body and by weight training your glutes more.. You can definitely build a bigger butt! Bb hip thrusts as I mentioned before, glute kickbacks on a cable, donkey kicks, lunges, glute bridges, abductor machine or with strength/resistance band, all those exercises will help build the glutes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!