Addicted to Popcorn

Options
13»

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    tink11464 wrote: »
    603reader - you may be on to something :) but just thought someone would know of a great salty/crunchy substitute that could be lower in carbs. Thanks

kale chips....

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Weirdly enough pickles also satisfy that particular craving for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Popcornopolus. Yum.
  • AngelZealot
    AngelZealot Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat a 1 oz bag of Popcorners chips each day and that really satisfies me. I also LOVE popcorn, and this type really packs that flavor I desire. They're around 140 calories per bag, and you do get quite a few in there. They have lots of flavors! Worth trying! That way you have a portion size all packed for you. :smiley:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 - the definition of addiction is: the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. Being that it's something I crave all of the time I felt as if the word addiction suited what I felt. :)

ever dig popcorn out of a dumpster to get your fix? Or steal it from the store? Or blow your life savings on it? If not it is not an addiction, it is just a self control issue.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why is everything an addiction????????

everything isn't

go read some of the posts on here..

sugar addiction
    candy addiction
    popcorn addiction
    etc etc…

Just smacks in the face to people that have had to deal with real addictions…you know like crack, cocaine, heroin, etc...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    603reader - you may be on to something :) but just thought someone would know of a great salty/crunchy substitute that could be lower in carbs. Thanks

kale chips....

You can bake sliced mushrooms until they're crunchy - almost zero calories. Just add salt.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

kale chips....

You can bake sliced mushrooms until they're crunchy - almost zero calories. Just add salt.
    You can whaaaat?!? Seriously? Any mushroom?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yum!! I'm going to try the baked mushrooms!! I love mushies!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I eat Jolly Time Healthy Pop Butter 100 Calorie Microwave Popcorn Mini Bag 5 out of 7 nights…94% fat free, endorsed by Weight Watchers

I once bought the same popcorn in the full size and immediately gave it away…it’s too easy to grab that extra handful.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]73641431.png[/url
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    When was the last time you had your labs drawn? Sometimes pica (think of pregnant women eating dirt or chalk) manifests as an overwhelming urge to eat certain food items. I used to eat ice CONSTANTLY. I'd drive across town to a certain gas station because their drink machine had the best ice cubes. I'd buy a 5 lb. bag of ice to munch during the 3-hour drive home from college and keep it in a cooler on my passenger seat. You get the idea...

Turns out I had low iron levels and was neither addicted nor crazy.
  • tomjinca
    tomjinca Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have air-popped and put a little salt and/or "Can't believe it's not butter" spray.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    boom chicka pop. low calorie, AMAZING popcorn.

this. I buy the little "snack" baggies, and ration out a half to enjoy with lunch. love the crunch factor!
  • abcmommyx3
    abcmommyx3 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I second air popped popcorn sprayed with olive oil yumm!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    ndj1979 - the definition of addiction is: the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. Being that it's something I crave all of the time I felt as if the word addiction suited what I felt. :)

You gave the definition that Google pops out but if you click on any of the links below what Google said, you see this:
    Short Definition of Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.
    Source: http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction
    the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma.
    Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/addiction

There is no way, under normal circumstances would I have gone to the area I did - AND FOR POPCORN?!! So yup - I am classifying it an addiction. It can result in disability if I keep eating the way I am (Again carbs are what's bad for me not so much the calories). It seems silly - but I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, (do like chocolate, etc) but have never had something have a hold on me - something as simple as a food.

yup- definitely time to go see someone.

I mean I get it- popcorn is a little addicting- you can't just eat one if you like popcorn- it's the hold fricking thing- and I really REALLY like my nightly popcorn snack- but if I ran out- and I chose to not eat more- I'd just stop eating it.

If you're making excessively questionable decisions because of some sort of mental issue- then you need to see a professional.

If you are just obsessive about having the thing you want (I get that way- I go way out of my way to get/pay extra for something I have decided I MUST have- typically make up) that's just a self control and poor discipline issue- which can be worked on by yourself- or with the aid of a professional.

But popcorn in and of itself isn't an addictive substance- it's just really fricking tasty.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn and I will never give it up. Ever.
    It is the first thing I learned to cook as a kid.
    I don't eat microwave popcorn. I pop it in a pan on the stove. I control the level of oil, salt, and add no butter usually. Get some fine grain popcorn salt.
    I've cut down from eating a giant bowl to about 2 cups of popped corn. A bag of kernals is usually cheaper than microwave popcorn packets too. I buy a bag of kernals maybe once a month to keep stocked up.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joe's organic popcorn made with olive oil. Its seriously the best and 2 cups = 130 calories.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I would truly like to know what kind of popcorn is only available in dodgy areas and still worth it to make the trip... B)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    I would truly like to know what kind of popcorn is only available in dodgy areas and still worth it to make the trip... B)

dodgy popcorn with a little fear factor thrown in:) the best