How do I get serious?

Options
I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Listen to Nike and Just Do It. There really is no other way.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Follow through with diet and exercise today. It really is one day at a time.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Only you can do that.

Some things that might help:
    -try making small changes first: for example, commit to logging all of your food this week. No matter what it is, just log it. This can be a real eye opener, not just for your total calories, but for where your next goal should be. Are you eating at least 5 fruit and veg a day? Are you getting enough fiber? You can also commit to working out just 10 minutes every day.
    -talk to your doctor about your health risks.
    -find a real life buddy. Someone you can check in with, hopefully someone that will move with you sometimes. Do NOT plan to workout with this person every day, unless you are paying them (ie, a personal trainer). You have to do your workouts whether your buddy is available or not, so it is better to get in the habit of going without them most of the time.
    -set realistic goals. Personally, I don't even have a scale right now. My goals involve my daily calorie goals, my daily exercise goals and some long term fitness plans, like biking 20 miles on my little 3 speed folding bike.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    You just have to really want it. You have to want to be healthier, to be more fit and to weigh less more than you want to make excuses. That really is all there is to it. Once you decide you want it you will get more serious about it, stop making excuses and start making changes. They don't even have to be huge changes, just do different than you are doing today to make a better tomorrow.
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about planning. Buying the right food. Having meals planned for the week. I will make bad choices otherwise.
  • MissKoyukichan
    MissKoyukichan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got more motivated when I looked in the mirror and I was finally done feeling like *kitten* about myself. I'd say the first week or so is the hardest, but once you pass that your body gets used to the calorie counting/restricting and exercising and it becomes a habit. For myself when I would feel the urge to eat, I'd look at myself and tell myself I am better than that and you don't need it. You aren't even hungry. Also, just avoiding the kitchen in general helps because you are less tempted to take "just a little bit."
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Some suggestions for motivation:

Start a Pinterest board with photos of people with the physique you want, and workouts you want to try, as well as healthy and delicious recipes.

Invest a bit of money: New clothes a size smaller, fitness and workout gadgets like a tracker, pedometer, jump rope, weights and bands are all good choices. Don't blow a fortune, and don't do it if you can't afford it, but if you can, often having a new toy to play with, or something cool to wear that you can't quite fit into yet, can be pretty inspiring.

Find something enjoyable to do that also happens to be exercise. Dancing, hiking, skating, etc. can all be lots of fun, and you often don't realize how many calories you're burning until later when you're sore and exhausted.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Set yourself some small achievable goals. Don't try to do everything at once. Start with just logging into the MFP diary everyday. Then add some walking in for the rest of the year. Then take your measurements and photos and then commit to a 12 week program on the 1 Jan.

You could write down what is stopping you and then write work arounds. At some point, as Michelle Bridges says you have to "Just F** do it".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMK7kWLFGs

The other suggestion is to align your social media up with your fitness goals. Join up fitness role models on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (if you use them).

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It is a grind. You have to commit to the process. What do you want? This isn't something that is just going to come to you. You have to get out there and take it for yourself. It will take sacrifices and you'll be uncomfortable at times. You will have slip ups, we all do. But as long as you are 100% dedicated, in the end, it will pay off.

If it was easy, everyone would be in good shape. You can do it, though! The reward is worth it, I promise.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    What got me "serious" was I took a minute to look at myself in the mirror.....when I first started here I was almost 300 pounds.....I look at old pictures.....3 year old pictures, and am WOWed at how big I was.....but I did not FEEL big....it was weird. I've always had great "get up and go" stamina......agility, etc....not great speed.....but I could do long distances no problem....but yea. Me and my fiance were looking at old pictures and I couldn't believe how far I've come. When we first met I was in size 48 waist.....now down to a 36...

Of course, along the way, I got nay-sayers,,,,,,"Adam you can't do this, you've never been skinny!" Which is true....I honestly can't remember ever wearing a "large" T-Shirt.....well, damn, Back Streets BACK....I'm in Larges now......mwahaha. and it's weird.....because I really don't feel any different....health wise or physical. Yea, my stomachs down, my love handles have shrunk.....hell, even my EYE GLASSES fall off my face now. It's friggin amazing, the transformation I've done. I think I've lost half a shoe size......my "package" has gotten even bigger....sorry for the details, but the fiance approves! lol.

I am so grateful for my fiance's grandma.....she introduced me to this site....well....the APP first....and it has really been a life changing adventure.

I am no longer the fat kid, picked last at gym class, anymore....
    No more 24 minute mile. I got that down to 11 minutes now.
    I can now do 18 push ups in a row.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Do your research. Learn HOW you need to be eating.
    Step 2: Throw out/give away all 'bad food'. Don't buy more. BE STRICT.
    Step 3: Log every single thing you eat, even condiments. Don't forget drinks.
    Step 4: Cut out all white bread, pasta and soda. Eat wholemeal versions in limited amounts.
    Step 5: Go for a walk every day, even if it is just around the block to start.
    Step 6: Make friends on here, and get other friends to do this with you or keep you accountable.
    Step 7: Planning like frksfrau said. I used to do big cook ups once a week (usually Sundays) and all my food would be good to go with minimal effort.
    Step 8: Get out of the mindset of thinking you are punishing yourself by removing bad foods and by exercising. You are rewarding yourself and honouring your body by eating well and exercising.
    Step 9: Little rewards. Make short goals like "Get rid of all bad foods from house" and "log all food and drink for one week straight" and "walk every day". If you do those three things for one week, you can have a non-food reward such as a new DVD or whatever you like. :)

I've never had to lose as much weight as you need to and I am struggling with only 45lbs! But I have lost it before and all of the above does work. The mental part is THE WORST. That is why I gained again. I also have a job where I sit down all day. Thankfully I am going to the gym & have a good support network.

Anyway, good luck!!!!!!!!!! You can do this! If you really want it, no excuses.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    PS Don't think of it as losing 200 lbs or so. Think of it as one week at a time. Losing that much weight may take a year or two, with diligent effort. But where there is a will, there's a way. Plenty of people on here in your situation. Seek them out and make a weekly discussion group to hash out your problems. It's so SO admirable you are trying to do something at all, even by just posting on this forum! GOOD LUCK!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    jenmovies wrote: »
    Step 4: Cut out all white bread, pasta and soda. Eat wholemeal versions in limited amounts.

Realize that it does not have to be this hard. There's no reason to label food as "bad" much less throw it away. You don't have to cut out any food. If you realize that the ONLY thing you need to do is get your calories under your burn it becomes much easier. And once you're doing that you can try to improve your diet, if need be, for your health. But unless you have a medical condition, that still won't entail cutting out entire food groups. Once I realized I didn't have to give up anything or eat perfectly, it began to come much easier to me. You might find the same.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    riverq1 wrote: »
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?
    Get sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone. If you're not sticking with it, it's because you're not committed to it. And commitment comes from being consistent and daring to take on the challenge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you what to do to lose the weight. We can give you suggestions though and maybe something will stick. I just checked that you were 18, so my advice may not resonate with you yet. But looking back I wish I had figured it out when I was younger. It has nothing to do with looks, but with your health. I was one that loved myself at any weight, it never bothered me being bigger. I figured people better just accept me for who I am, and was still feeling well, when you're young and big, you can still move pretty good. But when you get older, things start hurting and your health can be affected by all the extra weight and no exercise, high blood pressure, diabetes etc,,, heart attack, lung problems,, so give yourself a chance at a longer healthy life and make changes now that you are young.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    jenmovies wrote: »

Realize that it does not have to be this hard. There's no reason to label food as "bad" much less throw it away. You don't have to cut out any food. If you realize that the ONLY thing you need to do is get your calories under your burn it becomes much easier. And once you're doing that you can try to improve your diet, if need be, for your health. But unless you have a medical condition, that still won't entail cutting out entire food groups. Once I realized I didn't have to give up anything or eat perfectly, it began to come much easier to me. You might find the same.

This. Adherence is one of the biggest problems of starting a "diet." So don't. Make some lifestyle changes instead, ones that will stick and become habit. Demonizing certain foods is destructive. Developing a good relationship with food is positive, and will set you up for a healthier lifestyle automatically.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You just have to make a decision… and then never change your mind. Make the decision everyday if you have to… but make the decision. It's not easy…but it really is that simple. Reject all your excuses and take 100% responsibility for yourself. All the best advice you will receive in this thread and anywhere else will do you NO good unless you are willing to do the work.

Once you have made that decision… there will no shortage of advise on what diet to choose, the best workouts to do, etc. And there are some things you can do to make life a little easier on yourself, such as figuring out what your hangups are and what you can do to work through those. What parts will be easiest things to change, what parts will be the hardest.

I can tell you about what worked for me if you're interested, but the decision part remains the same. Feel free to send a friend request if I can be of help.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I do not focus on the weight, it is too discouraging. i focus on the process.
    -Log every day
    When I stop logging, stuff goes haywire
    - Figure out you daily calorie intake to lose one to two pounds per week.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Every day write an essay for one hour on why you want to lose weight. It's a lot cheaper than a gym and probably just as effective.

Also, as a challenge, commit to eating 1 kilogram / 2 pounds of vegetables (excluding potatoes) every day.
  • jsanford76
    jsanford76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There is no easy way, good habits are never easy. When I finally decided to quit smoking, I had to just suck it up, and realize that it would really suck for a bit. I tried every "easy" stop smoking method, it didn't work. I had to just do it. My wife has tried every weight loss pill out there, and she didn't loose any weight until she just did it. Weight loss is about expending more calories than you take in, and yeah some days it will be rough, and some days it will suck, but it is so worth while when you get into this journey. Get some friends, and get into the program. It is a fun and rewarding journey. You will feel better, and won't hurt as much. Health problems will start to rectify themselves, and before you know it you will be wowing people around you. You might even get tired of answering the question. "How are you loosing it?"