Traveling for work...how to eat clean?!

Options
wteachwo
wteachwo Posts: 19 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys,

I am new here - hello! I decided to get back on the myfitnesspal train yesterday (ahem) after being so disgusted with myself in pictures this Thanksgiving. I am standing in a wedding in a few months and would like to start my journey back to myself and a body I admire. So, here I am.

I lost a lot of weight before (but, have seemed to have yo-yo'd back) using the "eat clean" method. In general, I find my body feels better and reacts better to this way of eating, which just seems to be a common sense manner of eating healthily.

My main issue is that in the past year, I took a job that requires about 80% travel. This means I fly out on a Sunday night usually, and am living in a hotel until Thursday morning. I live and die by what I can pack in a suitcase, what travels well (without spoiling or becoming uncomfortably warm) and can be made in a hotel. I've tried looking at various websites about "eating clean on the road" but they seem to assume I'll be traveling in a car, and I'm not. Getting liquids through TSA in a carry on ain't gonna happen, and I'm already pressed for bin space and can't fit a huge cooler.

On the weekends (meaning Thursday night-Sunday morning) I am home and have my regular kitchen, but making clean food (which seems to require weekly prep) for only a few days when I will be leaving has been hard. In addition, I've fallen victim to just rolling up to the Whole Foods hot bar every night (including nights I am at home) and piling a container with all sorts of food and not noticing portion sizes, etc. I especially have gotten to love their mac and cheese (which I take a very large helping of) and then the Whole Foods cookie bar that stares at me as I walk out...what's a few chocolate covered jumbo pretzels...and before I know it I've binged on mac and cheese and chocolate. Ouch!

My question is: What are clean foods that travel well, can be prepared in advance (which I am willing to do if they can last on a trip) and things that are good in single servings? I am really struggling with maintaining a healthy lifestyle on the road and am feeling helpless.

Thanks!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    1) buy yourself a cooler and some ice packs. Then you can take pre made meals
    2) Do you get a car? Make grocery shopping a priority
    3) As for actual foods, nuts and nut butters travel very well, as do most fruits (and they make a great combination). Oatmeal can be made with hot water from the coffee pot in your hotel room (for 5 minute steel cut oats, you will want to use a thermos). Consider taking canned beans and some spices. Some wouldn't consider it "clean," but V8 doesn't need to be refrigerated until after it is opened. Would you consider frozen foods from Amy's or Kashi?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It might be easier if you just figure out your maintenance calorie needs and subtract 20% from that, and then when you are traveling just eat what is available. Mostly because you don't need to eat clean to lose weight, and you should be eating in a way that is sustainable not just long-term but also sustainable based on your lifestyle. Doesn't sound like being restrictive is conducive to your current lifestyle.
  • wteachwo
    Options
    3) As for actual foods, nuts and nut butters travel very well, as do most fruits (and they make a great combination). Oatmeal can be made with hot water from the coffee pot in your hotel room (for 5 minute steel cut oats, you will want to use a thermos). Consider taking canned beans and some spices. Some wouldn't consider it "clean," but V8 doesn't need to be refrigerated until after it is opened. Would you consider frozen foods from Amy's or Kashi?

I hadn't thought about the canned beans. I can easily heat those in my microwave in the hotel.

Also I've discovered Trader Joes (we don't have those where I'm from). Seems legit this week when I am challenging myself to "make" every meal in my hotel room as opposed to going out to eat.
  • wteachwo
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    It might be easier if you just figure out your maintenance calorie needs and subtract 20% from that, and then when you are traveling just eat what is available. Mostly because you don't need to eat clean to lose weight, and you should be eating in a way that is sustainable not just long-term but also sustainable based on your lifestyle. Doesn't sound like being restrictive is conducive to your current lifestyle.

That's a good point, but my problem is when I am stuck on a layover that gets delayed and then it's 2.5 hours stuck at the gate with just Biscoff cookies and Chex Mix as the option, I'll binge and eat that until I am "full". I think that planning ahead and having some options in my bag may work.

I tried Think Thin protein bars last week and my stomach revolted, so that's a no-go.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for foods that you can bring with you to eat during the Sunday-Thursday that you're staying at the hotel, or are you looking for foods just to have with you during flights/periods of travel? Do you have access to a car and/or a grocery store while you're away from home? What sort of stipend or reimbursement do you receive from your company for meals while travelling for work? What sort of kitchen appliances/equipment do you typically have access to? I know some of these answers can vary depending on where you're travelling to, but just in general.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    wteachwo wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

That's a good point, but my problem is when I am stuck on a layover that gets delayed and then it's 2.5 hours stuck at the gate with just Biscoff cookies and Chex Mix as the option, I'll binge and eat that until I am "full". I think that planning ahead and having some options in my bag may work.

I tried Think Thin protein bars last week and my stomach revolted, so that's a no-go.

But don't most gates have places to buy food?

I get packing snacks to save money, but you certainly wouldn't be stuck for hours with zero food options besides what you brought with you. Learning how to eat non-home prepped food while staying within your calories/macros is an important skill since everyone eats out sometimes.

However, like I said, I get wanting to pack to save money. What I tend to pack for plane trips are anything I would normal eat that doesn't need refrigeration. Like peanut butter sandwiches, chips, carrot sticks, apples, etc. They all travel pretty well.
  • wteachwo
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Are you looking for foods that you can bring with you to eat during the Sunday-Thursday that you're staying at the hotel, or are you looking for foods just to have with you during flights/periods of travel? Do you have access to a car and/or a grocery store while you're away from home? What sort of stipend or reimbursement do you receive from your company for meals while travelling for work? What sort of kitchen appliances/equipment do you typically have access to? I know some of these answers can vary depending on where you're travelling to, but just in general.

1. Both. Looking for foods I can bring with me during the travel days (no fridge and usually stuck in an airport or plane with very limited options) and during the week (in hotel with fridge and microwave, but no kitchen to "cook" anything).
    2. I have a rental car and the city I am currently in has both Whole Foods and Trader Joes. When I am home, I have access to a Whole Foods but no TJ.
    3. $50/day for food stipend. I can stretch that to "groceries" generically all week if I want.
    4. I have access to a microwave and fridge, and hot water. Nothing else.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i traveled similarly last year for work and still continued to lose weight. i brought protein powder, protein bars and oatmeal with me. i also packed snacks (pretzels, banana chips, nuts) that i could portion out since i brought baggies and my food scale. if it was available, i picked up items once arriving (i.e. fruit) at my destination. for lunch and dinner, we ate typically at places where i could look up the nutrition info online so i could choose a dish that would be in line with my daily goal.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For travel days where there is no access to a restaurant where you might be able to get something reasonable, fruit and nuts & peanut butter sandwiches are my go-to options. Once in a hotel with a fridge/microwave, my go-to breakfast (greek yogurt, fruit, whole grain cereal) would be feasible, as would be something like an egg/avocado sandwich - that's easy (pack a glass bowl & plate to use as a lid). I would eat out for at least one meal a day - salads with added protein and oil/vinegar or lemon dressing you can find almost anywhere. For dinners out, a lean protein and steamed veggies are something you can get almost everywhere, too (in my experience restaurants have agreed to steam fresh veggies rather than serve them other ways), and even Chinese restaurants have agreed to steam a main dish for me (shrimp with veggies, for example) and serve a sauce on the side. If you decide to cook in, you can nuke seafood and veggies, or do a nuked omelet, or do some beans and rice; you can get a plug-in hotpot into your suitcase which you can use to heat stuff up too - It doesn't have to be complicated.

Being on the road that much is exhausting - don't make it harder than it needs to be :)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really answer your question, but ...

When I have to stay in a hotel with no fridge, I buy a crappy $3 styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice from 7/11. Just about anything that doesn't have to be frozen will keep fine for about a week.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I always bring granola bars with me on flights in case I get hungry. At the airport, I usually can find a banana or apple somewhere to go with it. Peanuts travel well and help keep you full.

When I get into town, I go to the nearest grocery store (that I looked up before I left and planned the route) and get snacks, salads, and any drinks I might want. You can also find the nearest convenience store in case you run out of something.

I would definitely just watch your portions while you're traveling and not worry so much about perfectly clean eating. And when you're home, you can buy things in small amounts and/or make some big meals, divide them into single servings and fill up the freezer!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I lost a lot of weight before (but, have seemed to have yo-yo'd back) using the "eat clean" method. In general, I find my body feels better and reacts better to this way of eating, which just seems to be a common sense manner of eating healthily.

Maybe the reason you gained your weight back is that you overly restrict yourself.

You can still gain weight eating "clean" (whatever that means) foods. All you need to do is be in deficit to lose weight.

I had to stay in a motel for 2 weeks that only had a refrigerator w/a small freezer and a microwave. For breakfasts: I had instant oatmeal or hard boiled eggs and microwave bacon. Lunches: sandwich made stuff like peanut butter or ham & cheese sandwiches and chips/crackers.
    Dinners: Got a rotisserie chicken (this lasted a few days), minute made rice cups, frozen dinners and meat loaf from deli and instant mash potatoes, salads, etc.
    Snacks: fresh fruit, nuts, protein bars, granola bars, chocolate, ice cream, etc. ;)

ETA: I kept up with my workout and lost 3 pounds.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts, protein bars, pre-packaged trail mixes, popcorn. Pre-log, preplan and prepackage. You've done it before, so you already have the recipe.
  • mezyk
    mezyk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I live off of the gas station/ airport shops that sell protein shakes. They aren't the best but certainly a world of difference from fast food!
  • wteachwo
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Maybe the reason you gained your weight back is that you overly restrict yourself.

This is a good point. Even though it's only day 2 of me taking a hard look at my habits (eating and otherwise), I am realizing that when I go on one of these "I'm gonna lose weight" tears I restrict so much I feel deprived, hungry, and honestly, kind of depressed. I used to think that eating a banana at breakfast was too "sugary" when dieting but the past three mornings I've done instant oatmeal, a banana and hardboiled eggs and I feel satisfied, alert, and most of all, without chocolate or sugar cravings. I feel a marked improvement as opposed to my old restrictive habits.
  • Penny5518
    Penny5518 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can cook most veggies in a microwave, and jacket potatoes too, so that could be an easy quick meal in a hotel. Pasta and soup also work surprisingly well with just a microwave.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When eating out, try salads, dressing on the side, add grilled chicken or fish.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Penny5518 wrote: »
    You can cook most veggies in a microwave, and jacket potatoes too, so that could be an easy quick meal in a hotel. Pasta and soup also work surprisingly well with just a microwave.

I was thinking this - I've taken to cooking my "zoodles" in the microwave. I just add a splash of water to them, cover (with a steam hole) and nuke for ~4.5 mins. You could toss those in some pesto. You can also microwave eggs if you are careful - I crack one or two into a teacup, prod the yolk with a fork a few times then microwave in 10 second bursts until it is ready. Once it is cool you could have that with a bagged salad.

Maybe you should get yourself a book on microwave cookery? Just pack the food you need for travelling and then get your week day supplies when you arrive.
  • nikjackson18
    Options
    I used to travel a lot for work and would be in a hotel from Sunday night to Friday morning. I used to drive to the supermarket and get salad stuff. I could have it for my evening meal. Maybe something like instant porridge for breakfast, that could be made with a kettle of hot water. Lunch could be more salad, lots of supermarkets have salad bars so I could make up salads for lunch and/or evening meal and still eat healthily. I would take a small cookbag with me to keep things cool throughout the day.

I only worked and travelled a lot for a couple of years but the weight stayed off, in fact I lost over 2 stone.
    I only had a kettle and a fridge, no access to a microwave.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I hadn't thought about the canned beans. I can easily heat those in my microwave in the hotel.

Also I've discovered Trader Joes (we don't have those where I'm from). Seems legit this week when I am challenging myself to "make" every meal in my hotel room as opposed to going out to eat.

Trader Joe's has a microwavable vegetarian organic chili in a can that is to die for (there's also chicken and turkey chili that my husband likes). I drive almost an hour to the closest TJ's near me once a month to buy it. I regularly have a whole can as a meal, and I add in plain greek yogurt and cheese to add some substance to it.