weight gain with cardio

Options
Hi I have been doing cardio for a week now and ended up gaining 1 pound. I was wondering how long it takes to start seeing a difference on the scale because I am getting frustrated. My weight 58.8 kg goal weight 47 kg female, 5 feet tall

Replies

• jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know, im 80kg and when i started doing cardio (in the gym) i was 77kg... and no i didnt compensate my calories burnt with food, just incase anyone asks.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    stick with it. Cardio will not make you lose weight, a caloric deficit will. Cardio will increase your deficit if you don't eat more, or allow you to eat more and have the same deficit you could get from diet alone.

What you are probably seeing is an increase in water weight due to your muscles storing water to help repair and protect them. This is normal when starting and exercise program or changing intensities. If you are in a deficit, give it a few weeks for your body to get use to the program and then it will not need to retain as much water, and voila, scale will go down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    stick with it. Cardio will not make you lose weight, a caloric deficit will. Cardio will increase your deficit if you don't eat more, or allow you to eat more and have the same deficit you could get from diet alone.

What you are probably seeing is an increase in water weight due to your muscles storing water to help repair and protect them. This is normal when starting and exercise program or changing intensities. If you are in a deficit, give it a few weeks for your body to get use to the program and then it will not need to retain as much water, and voila, scale will go down.

^^ this
  • jesterkazuzi
    jesterkazuzi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If you eat right and exercise you will notice changes in your body in around 3 months, it may take others 4-5 months though. Stick with it, it is worth it :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

All that

+

Weight fluctuations are normal, and fluctuations of 5lbs or more are common. Be patient and try to focus on long term patterns in weight, not short term fluctuations. If my estimates/conversions are close, you're looking to lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 25lbs (11kg) - plan on that taking 4-6 months(ish).
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

All that

+

Weight fluctuations are normal, and fluctuations of 5lbs or more are common. Be patient and try to focus on long term patterns in weight, not short term fluctuations. If my estimates/conversions are close, you're looking to lose somewhere in the neighborhood of 25lbs (11kg) - plan on that taking 4-6 months(ish).

You are a genius :smiley: