Best Wearable to work with MFP?

Options
I'm putting a wearable on my Xmas list - so far I really like the look / features of FitBit Charge HR (not out yet - but has built in heart rate monitor. Any feedback on FitBit's working with this site / any issues?

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    From my own expirience, I personally have a FitBit.
    I like it, but it doesn't quite cut it for me.

I have friends that have the Jawbone UP and also friends that have the various alternatives. I think it's really all about what you are wanting from the device.

I found all the features that I wanted within the MapMyRun app on my S5 and found I no longer had a reason to wear my fitbit. But if you're in for the whole kaboodle and want that as an extra incentive (along with sleep logging).. Then they are all great pieces of kit in their own various ways..

The two leading models that get the best ratings at the moment are the Jawbone Up and the Fitbit. Fitbit is releasing its new range in January so, if you decide that is the way you're wanting to go, it could be worth hanging on a month or so!

All the best and I hope you find what you're looking for!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit flex that synced with MFP. Because of the way I was tracking/counting cals, I chose NOT to sync it long term, but on the occasion that I connected them things worked reasonably well.

Be sure understand what it does and how it works though... make sure your expectations for it are reasonable.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The Jawbone Up3 ships Dec. 22 for those that pre-order. That also means you can get some good deals on the Up24 when stores dump their stock.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the FitBit Charge HR!! So excited.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit and never had any issues with it once I had my settings sorted properly

I started with a flex and then (downgraded) to a fitbit zip basically because I wanted to be able to wear bracelets again <vain>

I also after a few months bought a polar ft4 HRM so I could accurately judge my calorie burn in workouts ...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've got the Fitbit Zip. Super basic, but tracks all (mostly) the same data as the Flex, without having an (IMHO) ugly rubber bracelet on my wrist. I can clip it to my waistband or bra strap, and it goes completely unnoticed.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit one and a Polar HRM. I started with Fitbit Ultra, which broke. Then a friend gave me a zip and I soon upgraded to a one. I can't wear anything on my arms or hands for work, and I suspect that there is a greater margin of error with the wrist worn devices but I haven't done any research into it. However, the newest Fitbits look great (featurewise; they are still bulky for my small wrists and not all that attractive. The Jawbone Up3 is also mighty appealing.
    I have never had any issues with Fitbit connecting to MFP. It looks like Jawbone gives much more information, though, and includes features like inactivity alerts, which are appealing.
    I strive for a 1000 calorie a day deficit and the Fitbit/HRM/MFP combo really help me keep track of that. It really gives you insight into how lazy or active you are actually being!
  • sarahelizaaaa
    sarahelizaaaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I got a Fibit Flex in April and love it. I'm waiting for the Charge HR also as I'm in the market for a HRM. I like seeing how many steps I take in a day and feel it gives me a good idea of how active I'm being. I sync it to MFP and have never had any issues. The app for my iphone is great, too.
  • Tewmom1
    Tewmom1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I currently have the fitbit one, and am chomping at the bit for the Charge HR to come out. I need a new HRM so this will be a great all in one device.
  • rwinzer923
    rwinzer923 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the feedback! I posted on my FB page and got nothing....guess it's having the right audience!! Looks like I need to at least take a peek at the Jawbone...but I like the looks of the Charge HR. We really need a woman to design a "cover" for these things that you can interchange - more like a bracelet - in multiple metallic options of course!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    rwinzer923 wrote: »
    thanks everyone for the feedback! I posted on my FB page and got nothing....guess it's having the right audience!! Looks like I need to at least take a peek at the Jawbone...but I like the looks of the Charge HR. We really need a woman to design a "cover" for these things that you can interchange - more like a bracelet - in multiple metallic options of course!

Check out Etsy for Fitbit jewelry for that :smile: Lots of sellers make beautiful jewelry items with compartments (like lockets and bracelets) to put the "guts" into (the computer part of the Flex, One, and Zip are little nugget sized things). I may have a pendant on my Christmas wish list...Gorgeous stuff out there.
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    They just started emailing offers to people that signed up to be notified about the Fitbit Charge HR and Surge an offer to purchase a limited early release.

I didn't sign up till mid November, so probably won't get in on the early release, but from the sounds of it, the Charge HR and the Surge will officially release in January.
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was originally aiming for the Charge HR but the jawbone Up3 is waterproof and is much slimmer. I'll probably go with the Up3 when it is released.
  • mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I got the surge, setting it up as we speak. The up3 is listed as water resistant, not waterproof. Either way, wasn't a deal breaker for me. I just personally don't like jawbone since they bought out bodymedia and the Core2 has seemed to die because of it.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I just got a Scosche Rhythm+ a few days ago. So far I really like it. No problem syncing with MFP using iCardio.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivosmart. I swim a lot, especially in summer so waterproof is a must. That pretty much narrowed it down to the Polar Loop (which I had, but it broke) and the Vivosmart, which I got to replace the Polar. The device is nice, but the MFP integration is rather rough around the edges. Fortunately it seems to sync my calories burned from exercise to MFP, but everything else is a bit so-so.
  • gingyboomboom
    Options
    I'm also waiting for the Fitbit Charge HR :smile:
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i have the polar loop, i love it. i got the polar h7 bluetooth hrm too. i love that i tracks my all day activity and "reprimands" me when ive been inactive for too long. a plus side is that i tracks my sleep and in turn tracks when my 6 month old is up and wanting to eat. i can see when im moving during the night. the hrm links up with apps that work with mfp and i can track all of that on here :smiley: