Withings and MyFitnessPal

Hello, You Could explain me clearly calories in negative or positive later of the exerciseI use Withings and sometimes he puts me calories in negative, sometimes in positive and it changes completely the data. If you could explain to me, thank you beforehand.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    I am trying to understand this, but are you asking why sometimes your net calories are negative and sometimes positive?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean. Can you try rewording your question?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    withings appears to be a high-end tracker. My fitbit zip is much cheaper and works just fine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I sync my fitbit to My Fitness Pal and let MFP work out what calories have been expended. Maybe you can do something similar with your withings.
  • Lickma
    Lickma Posts: 3 Member
    If it works like my Vivosmart used to before the Garmin / MFP issue that is ongoing it is telling you that you are not moving enough. MFP will calculate out a BMR (set of calories you will burn just for living that is based on what kind of lifestyle you told MFP you live i.e. sedentary, active etc...) and that is used as a baseline measurement for you calories for the day. When your activity tracker is synch'd into MFP it is telling MFP what your actual calorie burn is so far and that is used to project out burn for the day. If you check it while laying in bed for a few hours this is obviously going to be very low and MFP with the updated info will project a much lower BMR for the day hence give you a negative readout for activity and decrease your allowed calories so you stay on whatever glide path of weight loss you input. Obviously it works the other way as well. If you go to the zoo and walk all over the place in the morning your activity tracker will project a much higher burn for the day and give you back calories. Keep in mind if you come home from the zoo and veg out on the couch this number is going to change as the time passes. Hope that helps.