Anyone taking the (Ohio) Bar Exam in February?

I am a repeat taker. With being a full time working mom, I'm not sure that 5 months is enough to study, but I'm going to try. I don't plan on telling anyone except one friend, hubby and the kids (who will obviously see my studying). I sure could use a few MFP friends that may be preparing for the exam too. Trying to eat right, study, go to work and be a mom. I know me and that my studying may get derailed more than my diet.

HELP.

Replies

• RENEWING :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm not American, so no, not taking the bar exam.

I am a working Mum and law student though, I'm studying a degree part time and am in my 5th year of 6.

I've been at this a while, but around exam time, with working full time and a little boy, my diet and exercise regime get derailed somewhat. I get better marks, but have a fatter ar*e, oh well :wink:

Don't beat yourself up too much - you're managing a very heavy workload.
  • architeuthis
    architeuthis Posts: 2 Member
    Full-time law student here, in my final year and doing an honours thesis as part of it. I've upped my calories to approximately maintenance until the end of this semester - losing weight is important, but I struggle a lot with studying at a deficit, and right now, the main thing is to finish up with strong grades :) Best of luck to you. I'm in Australia, so the qualification system is a bit different, but I've heard tales of how stressful the bar exam can be. You can do it!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Canadian vet student here, taking my licensing exam in December while being full time (and then some) at school. Good luck!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    I wish you luck, but if you don't pass consider that it may be a blessing in disguise. A lot of law graduates don't seem to enjoy lawyering all that much.
  • Thanks for the replies. It's just such a stressful time and I'm finding myself wanting to stress eat BIG time. I'm constantly hungry all of a sudden now that I'm studying. I don't think people who haven't had to take a life-changing test could understand what effect it has on you physically and psychologically.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Good luck I can still remember when the wife went through taking the bar exam. Glad them days are behind us.
  • wellisawstars
    wellisawstars Posts: 16 Member
    Hey, I just started a February bar exam weight loss support thread. Please come join me!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    edited December 2014
    Best of luck!! I took the NY bar exam in July and passed. Can you take a review course? That's what got me through. It was tough. I studied 10 hours a day for 10 weeks. I have 3 kids, I know how hard it can be!

I actually got more focused on eating well and exercising while studying. It was something I could control (unlike the results of that awful test!) and also something else to focus on. Taking 30-60 minutes a day to run or bike helped immensely. I was able to really check out of studying, give my brain a break and work my body.