How do I get serious?

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    riverq1 wrote: »
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?

Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick you hard
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If you are not "sticking" with it, it means you don't care. No one here can help you change that.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Where there is a will, there is a way. It will hurt, it will take time, it will require dedication and willpower, you will have to make healthy decisions, it will require sacrifice, you will have to push yourself, and there will be temptations. But I promise it will be worth it.

That is a saying that I have used.....and it is so, so true. You have to decide you are doing it and there is no excuses, no turning back, and it is going to happen.

I suggest making small changes over time. Make a true lifestyle change. Don't restrict things. Find activities and healthy foods you enjoy.

Best of luck!!!
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You just gotta start and take it one day at a time and don't try to rush yourself!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do it for yourself. No one else can give you that desire, it has to come from within.

That being said, I do the best when I focus on today. I don't worry about what happened yesterday or what will happen tomorrow (aside from grocery shopping to prepare), I worry about my intake and exercise plan for today. I strive to do my best today.

This focus has helped me build habits. I don't question whether I want to weigh and log my food or if I should exercise. I just do it because its what I do. There's no emotion in it. It's just something that I do now, like brushing my teeth or doing the laundry.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've found that repeated recitation of motivational slogans and buzzwords is the true secret to success. Following are a few that have really worked for me. The aforementioned Just Do It; give 110% (btw, I always try to give 111%); iron sharpens iron; be all that you can be; where there is a will, there is a way; CICO (calories in, calories out); there is no spoon; macros; I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and - gosh darn it - people like me; next man up; yabba dabba doo; and don't drink your calories.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Part of what I have done is to no longer eat things that aren't nutritious. Empty calories? forget it. No chips, candy, sodas, and for the love of God, no fast food. That stuff is PACKED with calories. Make your meals at home. Use whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible, in other words, cook from scratch. This way you won't have corn syrup and other high calorie ingredients added into your food. Keep fruits and vegetables around for when you need a snack.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I keep telling myself that I'm going to lose the weight but I never stick with it. I weigh 350 pounds and probably gaining more. What can I do to get more serious about it?
    Get sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone. If you're not sticking with it, it's because you're not committed to it. And commitment comes from being consistent and daring to take on the challenge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm using this.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! Pick one little thing, like drinking 64 ounces of water a day. Focus on that. Once you are doing that easily, pick another little thing, like a ten minute walk every day. Keep on taking baby steps toward your goal. Don't worry about the finish line. Just take one tiny step. <3 You can do this! There will be days you want to quit. There will be days you mess up. Don't beat yourself up over those. Just go back to working on your baby steps.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    whats stopping you? is it the magnitude of how much you have to lose? i bet it seems daunting, having to drop at least 150 pound before you can be considered in a normal BMI.

that old proverb "a journey of a million miles begins with one step" is true. you just need to have one day where you are making healthy decisions, and then one day turns into two...
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    You have to decide to be serious about it. I started at 325, and one day I realized I was sick & tired of being sick & tired all of the time. I am the only one that could change it, and now everyday I make sure I put my health & fitness toward the forefront and I stopped making excuses. Believe me, I had a lot of excuses.

How about for now just focus on losing ten pounds, and then take it from there. Starting above 300 can be daunting, but just take it on step at a time, you don't even need to exercise to lose weight (exercise will help, but it isn't necessary). If you are able to lose ten pounds with just eating at a deficit (which you can do), then you can see if you might want to add moving more in. Good luck!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You have to want to lose weight and be healthier more than you want to overeat. It can seem insurmountable when you have a lot to lose. I started out at 290 and am now 130, so I can relate. Try not to look at the whole amount. Do it in stages. I focused on 10# increments and upon reaching my "mini" goals, moved on to the next one.

The first 3 weeks were the hardest. Every time I felt like eating something extra I asked myself if it was worth it. Most of the time the answer was "no". I also come on MFP and read the success stories for motivation. It works for me.

Find what works for you! You can do this!
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Get sick and tired of being sick and tired and get a backbone instead of a wishbone. If you're not sticking with it, it's because you're not committed to it. And commitment comes from being consistent and daring to take on the challenge.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^ wow, great way to put it: "get a backbone instead of a wishbone" ... sounds like something my granddad would say (he just ALWAYS seemed to say the right things). keeper.
  • krupskaya
    krupskaya Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I hope they help the OP - they're certainly helping me.
  • amrluvarr
    amrluvarr Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try really hard to find what works best for you. I get overwhelmed with big goals so I keep things simple and small. For example, one meal at a time (sometimes taking a whole day is just too much). Some days, I only get 10-20 minutes of exercise in. So what- it's more than I did before. It's small but it's progress.

Stick to small goals and plan ahead.

I also have a Pinterest board that is private I post all the clothes I would love to wear, plus some motivational quotes. I look at this when I need a lift.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not serious most of the time. I'm having fun with this life change! That being said, when I decided to tackle this weight loss head-on, I was strategic, determined. I had a plan.

"It’s puzzling to me that so many self-help gurus urge people to visualize victory, and stop there. Some even insist that if you wish for good things long enough and hard enough, you’ll get them—and, conversely, that if you focus on the negative, you actually invite bad things to happen. Why make yourself miserable worrying? Why waste time getting ready for disasters that may never happen? Anticipating problems and figuring out how to solve them is actually the opposite of worrying: it’s productive. Likewise, coming up with a plan of action isn’t a waste of time if it gives you peace of mind. While it’s true that you may wind up being ready for something that never happens, if the stakes are at all high, it’s worth it. "- Chris Hadfield

You might enjoy An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Write out all the reasons you want to lose weight.
    - To look good
    - Health
    - Family
    - goals, etc.

On the same piece of paper write out all the excuses that get in the way of your goals.
    - It's already Wednesday I'll start fresh on Monday.
    - The holidays are coming up I'll start after the holidays.
    - Too tired
    - etc.

Post the list and read it often. Memorize the excuses. When your thoughts rise up to get in the way of progress you should immediately recognize the excuses. The wanting part is easy; "I want to weight less" or "I want to look good this summer". The mental barriers between you and your wants (goals) is the tough part.

Excuses are the enemy. Know the enemy.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    By getting serious. The only thing that is going to get you to do it is you. Either you are happy being fat or you aren't. If you aren't then you have to make that decision to work at losing the weight and come hell or high water stick with it. Keep moving forward. There will be ups and downs. Take it as slow as you want but keep going. It's not a race. Make changes you can live with, not quick fix fad "diet" gimmicks.