68 yrs young and feel it is time I got fitter to take me into old age - whoops I am old!

Options
Hello Everyone, it is a long time since I last posted. Am trying to get myself healthy and fit but it is difficult because of health problems. Not making excuses because I just love swimming and walking but painful hip and back make it hard but not impossible. Always painful when I finish. Anyway I am not here to complain I am here to be positive and to find out if anyone is in the same position and to give moral support to one another. Dieted all week, did 68,000 steps and still only lost 0.5 lb. Can't believe it as some days I was exhausted! Still we will carry on. Would love to here from someone in similar circumstances. Troodaloo

Replies

• 1201april
    1201april Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nice job sticking with it last week! It can be frustrating when the scale doesn't budge, but taking those extra steps is making you stronger! :D I'm not in exactly the same position you're in (I'm trying to get that baby weight off + some haha), but if you'd like some moral support, I could add you! :) As long as you're willing to be my cheerleader too! ;)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i get frustrated too when I think I have worked hard and the scale does not move. I stopped weighing myself and use the way my clothes fit as a guide. I am not in the same position as you, but I think all of on here are trying to lose, maintain, get and stay healthy. good luck to you and keep up the good work. The scale will move as long as you stay committed.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    So you're a half pound closer to where you want to be! Good job
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think you need to manage your expectations - .5 lb is great and if you only have a few pounds to lose that's pretty much the most you should aim for in a week. Don't let the scale force you into undereating too much or beating yourself up! It's just a number - the important thing is that you ate well and exercised. Yay for you!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hello troodaloo, I don't have any health problems but I am 61 so closer in age than most.
    I am in maintenance, but still count my calories, and more importantly track my exercise on MFP. Not someone who naturally gravitates toward exercise, so forcing myself to do something through using this site is good for me.
    If you can find an aquafit class in your area you may find it good for your ailments.
    Since I don't know your weight and goal I can't comment on whether .5 is good or bad - I would be pleased though.
    Are you counting your calories or depending on exercise alone?

Cheers, h.
    Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Things often come harder for seniors I now personally understand. I knew a guy at church who's health was not perfect but OK but he had gained so much weight no one a home could help manage him so off the the nursing home he went. That is part of my motivation but the main point is to be able to stay mobile and enjoy life as a senior.
  • bertypainter
    Options
    Hi there I am 65 and things are beginning to hurt when i walk so I need to get rid of this extra weight.I have a few health problems that would improve if i were to eat right and get some exercise. I will cheer you on and hope you will cheer me on.